7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2016 2:31 PM by Just Shoot Me

Iightroom cannot create a catalog

jamiet16168499

I work in the Reprographics department of a  college with an unhelpful IT department. We've recently purchased Creative Cloud 6 and I want to set up Lightroom (I use it at home) but as we have remote log in profiles rather than stand alone PC's I'm having what I presume are permissions issues with creating the catalogue at the the initial launch process. I get the message "Lightroom cannot create a catalog[sic] named 'Lightroom Catalog' on network volume" followed by a location on my profile, on the H:drive server. With an IT guy who had administrative permissions we created a new lightroom catalog folder on the C:drive of the PC, so it should work, but if you then select the new folder I get the message "an internal error has occurred: Cannot create the the required folder: " then lists the original location my remote profile H:drive despite selecting the C:drive location. Final message "assertion failed!"

On relaunching Lightroom you immediately get the 'internal error' message. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Iightroom cannot create a catalog
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi jamiet,

You are trying to store Lightroom catalogs on server which is not recommended.The message "an internal error has occurred: Cannot create the the required folder" means this is a permission issue while creating required folders on installation drive.

Refer thread Cannot create the required folder to resolve the issue.

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: Iightroom cannot create a catalog
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Simple fact is LR is a Single user Single PC program and can not be used with Roaming Profiles. You must also have Admin rights on the computer you are using as LR needs to create folders and files, Write permissions, on the drive the catalog is stored on. Also because it is a Single PC program, Can't be run from a networked drive nor can the catalog be stored on a network drive, you'll need one PC that is your Main system that you both Install LR to and save the catalog file to. Something like a notebook that you carry with you and I guess can have access to the schools network shares for whatever you need them for.

It is not the IT staff that is unhelpful. It is the way LR works. Now if you could install the LR program on every computer you might ever use while at school and have your Roaming profile download the catalog from the main server to the local hard drive when you Sign In to your profile then you could use LR on all those computers. The images files could still be on the server, although slowing down access to them, but you would still need Admin rights for each computer because even though LR is installed and the catalog is local LR still needs to write to the local drive, Not to the server.

Buy a notebook.

• 3. Re: Iightroom cannot create a catalog
              jamiet16168499 Level 1

Thanks for the reply - I figured as much. Only have one device license so can't put on the image for all college machines. Comes down to admin rights for the machine. IT pretty much locks everything down so I presumed this was the case. If I was able to run this as an administrator would it be able to create the catalog on a roaming profile?

• 4. Re: Iightroom cannot create a catalog
                jamiet16168499 Level 1

Thanks for the link - will look at this now!

• 5. Re: Iightroom cannot create a catalog

jamiet16168499 wrote:

Thanks for the reply - I figured as much. Only have one device license so can't put on the image for all college machines. Comes down to admin rights for the machine. IT pretty much locks everything down so I presumed this was the case. If I was able to run this as an administrator would it be able to create the catalog on a roaming profile?

No the catalog has to be on a local drive of the system you have LR installed on. It can be on an external drive that is connected to that system or on the internal drive. But it has to be LOCAL, Not a Networked drive.

Not sure why you need to use your Roaming profile to work on LR.

• 6. Re: Iightroom cannot create a catalog
                    jamiet16168499 Level 1

Yes, good question, now you get the unhelpful IT department bit. I don’t understand why I need a roaming profile full stop but that’s ‘network policy’ apparently.

Thought I did create a local catalog on the C:drive, but as I said LR then ignores that folder location I create and goes back to the original destination which it defaults to?

Jamie Tweddell

Repro 273

• 7. Re: Iightroom cannot create a catalog

In large organizations Roaming Profiles help in that anyone can log in on any computer and that computer becomes Their computer with all the settings they made and their files available. But every computer must have the same software installed. That's fine for office type programs.

LR is ignoring it because you haven't set the LR preferences to use that catalog. In the preferences on the general tab in the "Default Catalog" area either set it to open the catalog on the C: drive by clicking the little downward facing triangle and selecting "Other" then Browse to the catalog on the C drive. Or set it to the Default option to Load most recent catalog then in LR go to the File menu and then Open Catalog and browse to the catalog you created on the C drive and open it. You then might need to Update your Roaming Profile so that setting you just made/changed doesn't get overwritten by what is now stored in your roaming profile.

The IT department has certain perimeters that they must live by set down by the schools administration. They either do as the administration says or they find a new job.

Personally I have my own personal notebook to run LR on and could care less what the IT department said.

If you are using LR for class work then have them set up all the Reprographics labs to run LR. Or use whatever software that is already installed on those computers.