10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2016 10:44 AM by lydn80836888

indesigncc crashing when placing word document

lydn80836888

I upgraded my Macbook Pro to El Capitan just to accommodate this IndesignCC.  I am trying to write a book.  I am trying to "place" my word document into Indesign and it crashes every time.

The error message is so quick I cannot see it.  This is a trial version and I am afraid to uninstall it.  I have tried restarting it with command, control. option, shift to no avail. Can anyone help?  Thanks very much.

• 1. Re: indesigncc crashing when placing word document
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Does InDesign work correctly up to the point of trying to place the Word file? If so, it's probably something about that file, and saving as a different format (RTF, .doc, .docx) might clear it up. Also, it's a good idea to accept or reject all tracked changes in a Word file, then do a Save As to force a re-write (even if there are no tracked changes) before placing.

• 2. Re: indesigncc crashing when placing word document
            lydn80836888 Level 1

Dear Peter, Thank you but nothing worked.  I saved the pages document as .rtf and that just created 78 separate files that were grayed out and did nothing.  Indesign crashes with doc as well.

I don’t know what you mean about accept or reject all tracked changes.  I do not have that question posed to me anywhere in the process.   I do not have “save as”, only export or share.

I am in a quandary.   I have a Indesign template from a publishing firm that I cannot open.  That is why I downloaded the trial version of Indesign.   Now I am finding  Indesign worthless and will have to recreate my book in its entirety.  A task I am not relishing.

Any additional help would be most appreciated.  

Lyd

• 3. Re: indesigncc crashing when placing word document

Accepting/rejecting tracked changes and Save As are both things you would need to do in Word (are you using Word?) BEFORE you attempt to place the document into InDesign. You may not have tracked changes (that's not on in Word by default).

Saving the file as RTF should not change the document structure or break it into separate pages.

• 4. Re: indesigncc crashing when placing word document
                lydn80836888 Level 1

Thank you, Peter.  I discovered where the import options were and followed your instructions to no avail.  I even tried dragging and dropping.  First dragging an RTF failed then dragging a word doc crashed Indesign.   The original document was created with Pages.  Then converted to .rtf.  Nothing works.  I guess what I have to do is spend the 30 day trial period trying to learn this app and then writing my book all over again.  Not a happy prognosis but I am frustrated to no end.  Not impressed with Indesign whatsoever.

I did discover that the .rtf file was located at the bottom of the folder listing just as text.rtf.  Very strange but I guess it is the book.  Thanks and I would still be willing to try more suggestions.

• 5. Re: indesigncc crashing when placing word document

Check to see if you have any encoding options when you save from pages, and change the encoding, or find someone with a copy of Word and ask them to save the file for you (or perhaps even Libre Office will work).

• 6. Re: indesigncc crashing when placing word document
                    Derek Cross Level 6

Which version (exactly) of InDesign do you have installed?

Maybe trashing your InDesign Preferences might sort out the issue.

in any case, if your MS is in Word why would you need to write your book again?

Using a trial version of InDesign is a dodgy workflow for an important document - it should really be used for testing purposes IMO.

• 7. Re: indesigncc crashing when placing word document
                      lydn80836888 Level 1

Hi Derek - I have at the trial version of Indesign CC installed.   My manuscript has been written in Apple PAGES.  I would have to write it again because I cannot get it to import to Indesign.

I have found there is no clear cut manual on how to do the simplest of tasks.  My latest roadblock is how to reduce line spacing.  I cannot fathom how that instruction would be a difficult to perform, but it is for me!

• 8. Re: indesigncc crashing when placing word document
                        Derek Cross Level 6

In your first question you said your document was in word.

It's not a good idea generally to write a book in a desk-top publishing application but you can export Pages content to a Word file: File formats you can export and import with Pages - Apple Support

InDesign is a top-level professional publishing application with a steep learning curve. You seem to be a complete beginner and therefore, with respect, I think it's foolish to try and start by creating such a document without learning at least the basics, especially with a trial version, which might end earlier than promised (it does happen!). There are lots of good training books such as the Quick Start Guides and Classroom in a Book series and Lynda.com have excellent online training videos. You can get a 10-day free trial. For example: http://www.lynda.com/InCopy-tutorials/Creating-Long-Documents-InDesign-CC/179050-2.html

• 9. Re: indesigncc crashing when placing word document
                          lydn80836888 Level 1

Thank you, Derek.  I respect your opinion and do now realize that Indesign has a steep learning curve.  I have used other Adobe apps (i.e. Dreamweaver) without much difficulty but this was a kick in the teeth.  Yes, I did say I had a word document.  What I meant to say was I had a word document originally created in Pages, but saved as a .doc.  I was remiss in using "word" as an adjective.  The whole story is this:  I created a book in Apple Pages.  I wanted to use Bookpatch to print my book.  They suggested using their "template", which was nothing more than a pre-formatted Indesign file.  I downloaded their file but could not open it on my Macbook Pro.  That is when I had the bright idea of getting and installing Indesign to open the file for me.  I did this thinking I would be able to simply import my already completed book into the application.  Indesign crashes every time I try to import the .rtf or .doc versions of my book.

I had half an idea to uninstall and reinstall but thought better of it because I not think I would be allowed to do that.  Oh, this is IndesignCC 2015.2  by the way.  I just downloaded it from Adobe 3 days ago.

I then decided to scrap all of my previous ideas and simply write the book over in a pure, new Indesign file.   That is when I got hit with the line spacing issue.

I am about out of my mind because I have a deadline for getting this book in print.   I guess I will pursue your advice with the Quick Start Guides and Classroom in a Book.  I saw the Lynda series but need to save my money for the Indesign monthly fee!  I am always open to respected and sage advice from all of the professionals who will offer help!!!  Thank you once again!!

• 10. Re: indesigncc crashing when placing word document
                            lydn80836888 Level 1

Thank you, Peter.  I will save it in a Microsoft Word document and bring it over to the Mac and try that method.