6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2016 9:02 AM by TaoD

Help! What is the best computer out there (that is not super expensive) that would get the most performance out of Premiere pro and after effects?

TaoD

Hello Everyone,

I'm a video editor that know software but don't really know much about computers. I know very basic things. My current computer at work is giving me a lot of problems. I was working on a apple 2008 tower (that was upgraded with ram/memory/graphics card) and using a Samsung Syncmaster p2570 monitor. Since the upgrade to CC, the computer became glitchy and playback was SUPER slow. The computer would shut down at least once a day. Dyanmic Link was also not working. The video I was editing wasn't even that long. It was only 10minutes in length. We thought we might need a new graphics card but that could cost a lot. 

I think getting a new computer would probably be better. We would like to get a new computer that is not super expensive but will handle animation/after effects composition and smooth playback. Do you guys have any suggestions? Or maybe examples of the computer you are using?

Since I stopped using the apple tower, I've been using my Macbook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012). Specs are below. However, the program also crashes on me a lot and playback on simple animation like key-framing is slow. I've also been editing on portable hard drives (USB 3) since there's not enough space on my computer for all the footage I am using. Could that be the problem? I also set the cache files to a folder on the hard drive instead of the computer (also because it takes up a lot of space).

2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

16GB 1600 MHZ DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024MB

Any help or suggestion with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

D