6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2016 11:50 PM by homiejee5s

Puppet overlap tool doesn't work

homiejee5s

When I select the desired precomp and click the puppet overlap tool, the mesh shows up and everything works fine until as soon as I exit out of the puppet overlap. But when I look into the precomp, it says it has the Overlap effect on - only, it doesn't seem to show.

• 1. Re: Puppet overlap tool doesn't work
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It's not really clear what you mean. and it seems you are fundamentally misunderstanding something. The puppet tool does not propagate any data into the actual pre-comp, it just operates as an effect on the layer in the parent comp. All the overlap tool does is control the "folding" order and direction in the displacement.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Puppet overlap tool doesn't work
            homiejee5s Level 1

sorry, I guess I wasn't really clear!

Below I'm attaching a screenshot of before and one of after I apply the Puppet Overlap effect. The left image is when I apply the effect on the [R-leg] precomp that's rigged to move with the torso. But as soon as I exit the Overlap mode to work on something else, the effect doesn't show up at all in composition or during the preview.

Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 10.55.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 10.39.15 PM.png

Please do understand if I seem to be missing out on something obvious - I've only just started learning how to use Aftereffects through online tutorials so I am definitely helplessly lost and confused!! So I would more than appreciate any kind of help/tips!

• 3. Re: Puppet overlap tool doesn't work
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You seriously misunderstand how this stuff works. You simply need to reorder layers. The overlap tool is no use in your case.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Puppet overlap tool doesn't work
                homiejee5s Level 1

In the screenshot the R leg is out of place because it's bending but the layer is under Precomp. i want it to overlap Precomp in only certain situations.

• 5. Re: Puppet overlap tool doesn't work
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The overlap tool controls how things work only on that layer. It has no effect on other layers. For example if you craw a C and pull the bottom part of the C over the top it will either end up on top of the other part or behind it. If you want to change the overlap you use the overlap tool. When you go back to puppet pin or starch the overlap display goes away. This is normal.

I would suggest that you type "puppet pin" in the search help field at the top right corner of AE and check out some of the excellent community resources to learn how it works.

• 6. Re: Puppet overlap tool doesn't work
                    homiejee5s Level 1

Thank you so much for kindly clarifying! I really appreciate it.