1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 9, 2016 8:28 PM by wobertc

I am taking a photo class and we are learning how to use lightroom to store our images.  Using a classroom MAC, I created a catalog which  I loaded onto an external HD with my photos.  I decided to buy version 5.7.1 of Lightroom and installed it on my des

janetg9686594

I am taking a photo class and we are learning how to use lightroom to organize our photos. Using a classroom MAC, I created a catalog and loaded it on to my external HD with my photos. (We are using external HDs because multiple classes use the computers).  I decided to by version 5.7.1 of Lightroom and installed it on my desktop PC at home.  My instructor emphasized that I shouldn't create another catalog. Instead, I should bring the catalog stored on my external HD into the Lightroom on my home computer.  I have tried to do this.  The question comes up "Relaunch Lightroom with this catalog?"  And I click on relaunch.  The question comes up "Close the Import dialog and quit?" And I click on quit. Then a header in large letters comes up at the top of my screen "Lightroom - Opening Catalog: Pht 101 Janet Gelb Catalog Passport HD.lrcat (this is the name of the catalog I created).  Then a message comes up "The Lightroom catalog named Pht 101 Janet Gelb Catalog Passport HD.lrcat cannot be opened because it is too new to be used by this version of Lightroom.  Would you like to select a different catalog?"   And there is no other catalog to choose because above mentioned one is the only one I created.

So, I don't understand this. Is the fact that I created my catalog using Lightroom on a MAC and I'm trying launch this catalog in Lightroom on my PC -- is this the problem? Or is the Lightroom I purchased a lemon?  Please help before I tear my hair out!  Thanks.

Janet Gelb