12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2016 1:03 AM by brianm21995825

HDR Color Banding: Professionals Please Help!!!

brianm21995825

Hi, I have been doing a lot of HDR photography lately. I typically merge about 4-7 shots and use the Merge to HDR feature in Lightroom (Latest CC suite - Mac).

The problem is that I am getting color banding on my images when I export. The banding is bearable, but it is definitely noticeable and I want it gone!! I think the banding has to do with my extensive editing. This always happens in the skies of my sunsets. The only editing I use on the skies is a few grad filters with some temp change and exposure change. Export settings are default.

Someone please help!

Thank you

• 1. Re: HDR Color Banding: Professionals Please Help!!!
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you show us a screenshot of what you mean by “banding”?

• 3. Re: HDR Color Banding: Professionals Please Help!!!
            Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are your export settings??

• 4. Re: HDR Color Banding: Professionals Please Help!!!
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are not seeing this in Lightroom, this is coming from a too low quality setting in the export. You generally need over 85. Also realize that flickr recompresses your images and they have recently made the recompression more aggressive. I've seen it lead to similar banding in my own images that wasn't present in the exported file.

• 5. Re: HDR Color Banding: Professionals Please Help!!!
                brianm21995825 Level 1

Hi,

the export settings are not adjustable apparently in Lightroom CC Mac. There is simply not a menu for it in preferences.

Further research on the topic leads me to believe that this is a common problem that directly relates to gradients. This is common in photoshop as well, where heavy gradients are used. Likewise, the web compression and the JPEG compression removes necessary data to accurately produce a true gradient, thus banding occurs. From this research, the banding issue is able to be reduced by adding data (undesirable route), such as a blurr or noise to the photo.

It seems to be an inevitable result of gradients, which I use heavily.

• 6. Re: HDR Color Banding: Professionals Please Help!!!
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

brianm21995825 wrote:

Hi,

the export settings are not adjustable apparently in Lightroom CC Mac. There is simply not a menu for it in preferences.

All Export settings are adjustable for both the Mac and Windows versions of LR CC/6. All of them are in the Export dialog window, not in the LR Preferences.

• 7. Re: HDR Color Banding: Professionals Please Help!!!
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1 person found this helpful
                    • 8. Re: HDR Color Banding: Professionals Please Help!!!
                      Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Brian, how are you exporting?? The settings are not in Preferences but the Export Menu.
                      In the Export Menu is the compression/quality, etc......

Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 8.08.40 PM.png

What is your Quality setting (bottom right)??

You may well be correct about the gradients but the more jpeg compression applied to files the more artifacts will show.

Exported as jpeg from Lightroom compresses and that compressed file is again compressed further when uploaded to websites ..... double whammy!!

Try Exporting with 100% Quality and se what that gives

1 person found this helpful
                      • 9. Re: HDR Color Banding: Professionals Please Help!!!
                        brianm21995825 Level 1

OK WOW! I found the dialogue. I don't have any photos in my library at the moment so I couldn't actually go to the export settings dialogue.

I noticed my quality was at JPEG and 60 !!!! That is so disappointing! I adjusted to 100. However, I can not re-produce the photo because my catalog was not saved for the photo above (which has the banding). So  I will have to wait to produce another shot with this occurring.

• 10. Re: HDR Color Banding: Professionals Please Help!!!

brianm21995825 wrote:

OK WOW! I found the dialogue. I don't have any photos in my library at the moment so I couldn't actually go to the export settings dialogue.

I noticed my quality was at JPEG and 60 !!!! That is so disappointing! I adjusted to 100. However, I can not re-produce the photo because my catalog was not saved for the photo above (which has the banding). So  I will have to wait to produce another shot with this occurring.

Excuse me but why don't you have any images in your catalog? The whole point behind LR is to import all your images and Leave the reference to them in the LR catalog.

Please take note that LR is just a image Database program that also has a Non destructive editor. No image is ever INSIDE LR. Images are only references into the database file, IE the Catalog file, and all your images are wherever you placed them on your hard drive before or during the importing process.

So removing images from the catalog after you have adjusted them is counter productive.

Also note that any and all adjustment you make to any image does not change the original image. Only after you export images, and or if you send them to an external editing program like Photoshop, are the adjustments added to the original images and saved under a new file with a different extension or something added to the original file name, like a -1.

So if you made some adjustments to an image and didn't export it then removed that image from the LR catalog all those adjustment are gone and all you have is the original file.

• 11. Re: HDR Color Banding: Professionals Please Help!!!

Also you should only have ONE catalog and that ONE catalog should contain all your images. Originals, Edited, Exported, Sent to Photoshop and saved from PS as either PSD, TIF or JPG files. All of them should be in ONE catalog so you have a reference of what images you have, which images you adjusted in LR, which images you exported to JPG format and what images you sent to PS and saved as PSD or TIF.

• 12. Re: HDR Color Banding: Professionals Please Help!!!
                              brianm21995825 Level 1

Excuse me,

But I will ask that you keep this on topic. Don't tell me how to manage my workflow. I use lightroom for ONE thing and that is editing. Heck, I don't touch any module except Develop. I do not use all the other bloatware (quite frankly) that comes with in the package. If you must question my workflow, I backup each catalog with the corresponding raw files on an external drive. Not always do I do this, but only when my results are sufficient and may need readjusting. Creating one single catalog is probably the least pragmatic way to ever handle photography, as its substantially slower than my method (yes, even when "optimized"). The reason this particular catalog for the my Flickr shot above is missing is due to low SSD space at the time. Although it is a shame that the catalog is missing for the 20,000 view photo. Technically, I have the technology to recovery the file if need be, but I can reproduce the edit within 10 minutes. Not worried.

Lastly, your information on how lightroom operates is absolutely unnecessary. I understand Lightroom quite well.

Again, I reiterate, keep this on topic. This session is concluded as I've come to a solution from the much appreciated answers provided