5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2016 8:05 AM by johnrellis

Keyword organizig i LR

tomášh49807331

How can I sort keywords in Lightroon not by alphabet but by my own. Ex. I need to have first keyword which starts with R.

• 1. Re: Keyword organizig i LR
          dj_paige Level 9

As far as I know, there is no way to specify your own sort order for keywords.

You could create a hierarchy if you wanted to, which allows for example, the keyword 1 to be the top level of the hierarchy and so the keywords that go first are under the keyword 1. I agree this is a pretty cumbersome workaround.

• 2. Re: Keyword organizig i LR
            Justagom

Hi,

Newbie here so apologies for any stupid questions or lack of procedure.

I see the question of keyword order has come up in many forums with the answer that only alphabetical is possible.

In some cases, the response has been, "why would you want to change it, as search engines will sort it out".

One discussion referred a possible requirement by something called Almaty and a plugin to resolve it.

My point is that Adobe's own microstock site, Fotolia, recommends keyword order by significance. Quoting from their guidelines ...

"The second most important rule is the order of your keywords. This is Fotolia specificity and it is very important to order your keyword correctly: the most      relevant keyword should come first. It will determine the placing of your image in the results page. If your first keyword is not the most relevant for this      subject, your content may not appear when it’s needed."

... so surely Adobe should allow this in their own product, i.e. Lightroom?

Is there a good way to bring this to their attention in the hope they may address it?

Thanks

Chris

• 3. Re: Keyword organizig i LR
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
              Is there a good way to bring this to their attention in the hope they may address it?

This forum is primarily a user-to-user forum in which Adobe rarely participates.  The best way of providing feedback is to add your vote and detailed opinion to this feature request in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom: Custom sort order of keywords (instead of alphabetic). | Photoshop Family Customer Community. In general, Adobe product developers do read that forum and often participate, and it has demonstrably influenced Adobe on some issues.  However, this issue (sort order of keywords) is an old one, and Adobe has made almost no changes to the Library metadata or keywording in particular for many years.  

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Keyword organizig i LR
                Justagom Level 1

Many thanks John ... you have answered my question.

I will try and push the enhancement route as suggested, but after 20 years in the IT industry I have no illusions as to the chances of success.

• 5. Re: Keyword organizig i LR
                  johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Make sure that in your feedback you reference Fotolia.  Someone else in that feature request has also mentioned Fotolia, and perhaps if more users surface, that will spur Adobe to action.