6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2016 5:25 AM by fidibus123

media pending

fidibus123

whenever I import media it is shown as "media pending"

it used to work until day before yesterday

looks like win10 installed some update and then it broke somehow

Imported media is mpg (3GB large) and located on local hard drive. User has full access.

I am using Elements 14 on win 10 home, version 1511

any ideas?

• 1. Re: media pending
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is this video coming from and what format and resolution is it? How long is the video clip(s)?

Which processor do you have and how much RAM? How much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your hard drive?

Have you ensured you've got the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements?

• 2. Re: media pending
            fidibus123 Level 1

good hint steve

media is coming from HDD recorder (panasonic DMR-XS400)

for some reason it saves movies with different codecs

one movie is encoded with MPEG-4 AVC which is working

other movies are encoded with MPEG-2 which causes the above mentioned

the lenght of the video clip does not seem to have an impact  (anything between 1h and 2:30hrs in both cases brings same result)

I have an intel i7-6700 with 16GB RAM, 64bit

the PC is pretty new (3months), I did not yet check the fragmentation of the HDD

I was not aware of the fact that Quicktime is required.

I will give that a try.

• 3. Re: media pending

From what I can see, the Panasonic DMR-XS400 is not a camcorder. It's a device for recording DVDs. If that's the case, it really complicates things.

I'm sorry but don't know how to work with video from this device.

If the video is on a DVD, you can try putting the disc into your computer's disc drive and using Add Media/From DVD Camera or Computer Drive to rip the video from the DVD to your computer.

I don't know how you're currently getting the video from this device to your computer -- but I recommend only the method I've just suggested until you can find a suitable workflow.

• 4. Re: media pending
                fidibus123 Level 1

I download the files via network (UPNP) from the device.

But obviously dependant on factors I do not 100% know the media coded differently.

My main goal is to have the media transformed only once.

Get the media from the Harddiskdrive of the panasonic machine, cut out what I do not want and then create a DVD.

It is not that I chose PE14 because it is perfect for that job but because I had it already and I already created a couple of videos with it (coming from other sources).

Getting back to the original problem:

why does PE14 show "media pending" although the media is there and the codec (MPEG-2 25.00 Hz, 1920 x 1080 (16:9) , Progressive, YUV 4:2:0 Planar 12bpp) should be supported?

I did re-install Quicktime - no change.

• 5. Re: media pending

Hard to say. I'm sure a lot depends on the duration of the clip. Longer clips take longer to conform, of course.

But you're kind of in unknown territory with this device. It's not a traditional camcorder or camcorder device, so  I really don't know how editable or compatible this video is with Premiere Elements.

• 6. Re: media pending
                    fidibus123 Level 1

thanks for your investigation

since I know now that it has to do with the codec and I have a way around I will mark this as resolved.