• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

System.dll not found exception

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, 1 week ago I spent half a day trying to install Digital Editions on a Windows XP machine.

No matter what I tried, I kept getting a "system.dllnotfoundexception" (literally written like that, all jammed together).

I spent an hour on chat with Adobe support who could do nothing more than escalate the issue to the next level support.

Next level support returned an email 4 days (2 working days) later, with a link to a completely unrelated issue.

I replied, explaining the issue again.

To which, again 2 working days later, Adobe "support" sent the following 1-liner:

"In order to fix this issue ,Please go to forums.adobe.com to get the solution ."

Now, of course I had already extensively searched the Adobe forum, as well as any other online resource I could find before I contacted support in the first place.

The issue itself (support case 0218062026) has meanwhile been closed and I could not find a way to re-open the issue.

Searching this support forum for "system.dll" returns 0 (zero) results.

We are almost a full week later, with no sight of a solution, for what should be nothing more than a simple install issue.

And all that in order to start using DRM-protected content. If ever there was a better reason for piracy.....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2016 Mar 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I not staff Person but can try to help. Need any information for you:
1) Which version of Digital Edition do you install?

2) Has you try the installation with Admin?
3) Have you install Service Pack 3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2016 Mar 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Any help would be much appreciated at this point.

To answer your questions:

1. I tried both 4.5 (latest release) and 4.0 (from this help page: How to install Adobe Digital Editions 4.0 on Windows 7, Vista, XP )‌. The results were the same.

2. Yes, user has Admin rights.

3. Yes, the machine does have Service Pack 3 installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2016 Mar 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Version 4 to new for Windows XP. Try if work with 2.0: Adobe Digital Editions downloads

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2016 Mar 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌I need version 4 for the content I want to access.

Version 4 should work on Windows XP according to the link above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How you found the info? According to information i found you need for 4 and 4.5 Windwos 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nanaky, see this link: How to install Adobe Digital Editions 4.0 on Windows 7, Vista, XP
The very first line:

"You can install Adobe Digital Editions 4.0 in Windows 7, Windows XP, and Windows Vista by following the steps below: "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And how you have the Download for 4.0 ? Under the Link found only a link for 4.5.1 and this not work under XP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2016 Mar 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is where you can find 4.0: https://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html#main_Windows_solution...

This is the direct link to the 4.0 installer: https://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions/_jcr_conte...

Note that these "Windows solutions" explicitly include instructions for Windows XP.

So instead of continuing this line of discussion, let's move on to what this dll is that is missing and where it should be installed so I can finally get this working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2016 Mar 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okey. Then should it work. But no Idea how can fix the *.dll Problem because its no direct problem with Digital Edition.  Has you check if the file can found in your Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes you think this is "not a direct problem with Digital Edition" ?

It is ADE that throws the error and it is __only ADE that has this problem.

The exception is caused by ADE asking the .NET framework for some .dll or other and it not being able to find that dll.

The full description of the exception is here: DllNotFoundException Class (System)
Unfortunately, it is unclear from the exception what dll can not be found (Thank you Microsoft, thank you Adobe).

Note that "system" is the CLASS of object that generates the error, it is not (or not necessarily) the name of the dll.

And before you ask: yes, the latest version of the .NET framework is installed, fully patched and updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case you should ask directly a Adobe Staff person. I only try o help but i hove no more idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have directly spoken to Adobe staff multiple times over the past 2,5 weeks, both in chat and on Twitter. All anyone can do is "forward" my enquiry and that they will answer to this thread. Which, so far, they have not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Its a costfree product. So it needs time. You can also check the other thread for a staff person and write directly to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines