21 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2016 2:07 PM by bluin

Rendered output has no sound in Premiere Elements 14

bluin

Hi

I'm rendering game footage (my son's footage) captured in avi (motion jpeg) using Bandicam which recording settings have been optimised for Premiere. This untouched footage plays perfectly well in media player, Premiere etc...

However, the resultant .MPEG that is formed after the the above AVI has been rendered within Premiere doesn't have any sound.

I've googled and searched these forums but as yet have not found a solution that i can apply to my problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated to a complete novice who feels completely out of his depth.

• 1. Re: Rendered output has no sound in Premiere Elements 14
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

MJPEG can be a pretty iffy format to edit in Premiere Elements.

But, that said, what media player are you using the play your output movie? I recommend the great free VLC Media Player, which can play just about anything, over Windows Media Player, which is kind of meh.

• 2. Re: Rendered output has no sound in Premiere Elements 14
            bluin Level 1

Thanks for taking the time to reply, appreciated.

Unfortunately, the optimized Premiere settings for Bandicam has it outputting in MJPEG - any other format causes audio sync issues - but thanks for the heads up.

I've been using windows media centre and player - but will try VLC Media player tomorrow.

Another bit of information, that may be relevant, is that the compression software 'Handbrake' cannot find any audio within the rendered .MPEG. It finds the video no problem but in the audio setting there is no file to manipulate. I get the impression that the rendering process has somehow lost the audio - if i had to guess my ignorance of using this software is probably the reason.

I have the option of separating the audio in Bandicam so it's not integrated within the AVI (if that makes sense) - would this be better more suitable option?

• 3. Re: Rendered output has no sound in Premiere Elements 14

If the audio shows up as a waveform on your timeline and you hear it when you play the timeline, the program will not lose the audio when you output your finished video.

• 4. Re: Rendered output has no sound in Premiere Elements 14
                bluin Level 1

Thanks for the reply, appreciated.

Tried VLC but it only shows a warning traffic cone when the rendered MPEG is played - no sound or video. Windows media can't display anything but windows media center can play the video but with no sound. And as mentioned before - Handbrake can see the video but cannot identify any audio.

The game footage that is imported into Premiere, before rendering, shows a video 1 timeline and directly below that an Audio 1 timeline (which has game and voiceover recording in one).

I then use the 'DeNoiser' to get rid of background hiss and then render the timeline/footage in high quality. This saves to 'Adobe Elements Preview Files' called 'Rendered- 4c188...etc.mpeg' along side a .xmp file.

And it's this mpeg, that seems to be devoid of sound - and as mentioned above - even handbrake can't identify a sound file/format within the rendered footage.

Additional: loading up the rendered footage in Premiere and it only shows video 1. The Audio timeline is not there - i'm guessing i'm doing something very wrong?

I'm stumped

• 5. Re: Rendered output has no sound in Premiere Elements 14

It sounds like you're trying to play the render preview file! If so, that file only contains video -- which is why you don't hear audio on it. (Preview renders are so that your timeline plays more smoothly.)

To output a video, use Export & Share/Quick Export. This will create a playable mp4, which should look and sound great in VLC Media Player.

Meantime, you might want to check out my free 8 part Basic Training tutorial series at my Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com. It will show you a number of these basic moves. Part 8 shows you how outputting a movie works.

*** Premiere Elements Basic Training ***

• 6. Re: Rendered output has no sound in Premiere Elements 14
                    bluin Level 1

Thanks for sticking with me Steve - your last feedback/advice sounds very promising and makes sense to my limited understanding of this software.

I have a suspicion your suggestions will resolve my issue and as soon as i get the time this afternoon i will watch your tutorials and implement your suggestions. It's looking like my ignorance may be the issue despite my efforts in reading PDFs. I miss the days when you had hard copy manuals you could flip through,,,,

I will be sure to get back to you with my results - and regardless of the results, thank you for your input to date. If you ever need any hardware advice hopefully i can return the favour one day. (i troubleshoot hardware issues on a forum called Overclockers.co.uk under the name Plec - so appreciate the effort in interpreting someone's problems remotely.)

Thanks again and i will return with updates,

• 7. Re: Rendered output has no sound in Premiere Elements 14

There IS still a hard copy manual available, if you're interested, bluin: My "Muvipix.com Guide to Premiere Elements 14", available on Amazon. It takes you step by step through every tool in the program!

• 8. Re: Rendered output has no sound in Premiere Elements 14
                        bluin Level 1

After visiting your website, muvipix.com, I feel like I hit the jackpot having you help me with my small issue. It seems similar to someone having a minor Windows issue and having Bill Gates stumble across the thread and then taking the time to resolve it.

My poor analogy aside I think you’ve resolved my initial problem Steve – thank you - but unfortunately I seem to have created a whole new problem. But a bit of research on my side should hopefully resolve this issue more quickly as I suspect, again, this is ignorance on my part as I've posted almost immediately after my first attempt of exporting.

You were exactly right I was opening the ‘preview file’ which fully explained the lack of sound. I had only changed the Render options to High Quality output, within the edit/general menu, and was using the Render Button, above the time line, assuming, incorrectly, this was what I needed to do (after watching/reading a misleading guide).

However, after using the ‘Export & Share’ option the resultant rendered file won’t play properly within any media player, even Premiere (but in Premiere the audio plays fine it's just the video that is very choppy) – it stutters/stops - and in VLC the colours become psychedelic and it eventually crashes to the road cone. But sound was present on all the partial playbacks.

I exported/rendered the footage at high quality in MP4-H264 format at 1080p. The footage was only a couple of minutes long so the resulting file was only 216mb in size. But, as mentioned, this file couldn’t be played successfully – but sound was there.

Not being deterred I loaded up Handbrake, using my preferred settings, and the audio was now present so I went ahead and compressed the file. To my surprise the compressed footage works fine in all players and the quality and audio is far better than expected (only 48mb).

But, unfortunately, I still have a problem playing back rendered/exported projects for analysis purposes.

So I’m going to spend the weekend working through your excellently produced tutorials - can’t thank you enough - and hopefully begin to get to grips with this software.

I’ve had a quick look at your book on Amazon.co.uk – the look inside feature – and I’m going to purchase it for my son’s birthday as I’m only learning the fundamentals on his behalf to get him started. He will benefit from the book greatly and from its description and a brief look at its first few pages it will serve his purposes perfectly – and probably mine when he gets stuck.

Thanks again Steve - and again kudos to your site and book and thanks for taking the time to help me with my problem/ignorance with this software.

Additional: I’ll be sure to mention/link to your site and book to all his friends who are starting similar projects at his grammar school.

• 9. Re: Rendered output has no sound in Premiere Elements 14

Wow! Thanks for the ringing endorsement, bluin!

I can't for the life of me figure out why you'd  have any problems playing and Mp4 from Premiere Elements in the VLC Media Player. I think we've established that you've got a reasonably powered computer with adequate RAM, haven't we? That would be the only reason I can think of that you'd have trouble playing and HD mp4.

What processor do you have and with how much RAM? (Please be specific. "Quad core" could mean any of dozens of processors.) And on what operating system?

• 10. Re: Rendered output has no sound in Premiere Elements 14
                            bluin Level 1

Pleasure Steve - your work deserves it.

I have a relatively old self build but it's still a very capable system:

• i5 2500K quad core - clocked at 4.6Ghz and is under water and very stable  (wish now that I had a hyper threading processor)
                            • 16Gb Memory
                            • 6 HDDs 2 of which are SSD (none in RAID) but i am outputting rendered files to conventional HDD)
                            • 280X 3Gb GFX card
                            • 1000 Watt PSU

And the joyless GUI, that is Windows 8.1, is sitting on top of all of this waiting for Windows 10 to finally become stable...

• 11. Re: Rendered output has no sound in Premiere Elements 14
                              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am guessing the bitrate is too high.

Is your system overclocked?

• 12. Re: Rendered output has no sound in Premiere Elements 14
                                bluin Level 1

Hi, yes the system is overclocked - but is low comparatively to what the chip could achieve. I choose to run it at 4.6Ghz but it would happily run at 4.9GHz (it's a gem of a chip) - the whole system is under water (water cooled). But if this could be a factor I will happily drop the clock for testing.

When you say the bitrate is too high - do you mean too high to process the output on the machine?

I'm testing/rendering another bit of footage using the same export settings as before. They read as follows:

• 32Mbps
                                • Format h264
                                • FPS 29.97
                                • Audio ACC, 160 kbps, 48 kHz, stereo

Hope this helps.

• 13. Re: Rendered output has no sound in Premiere Elements 14

Drop the 35 to 8 or something in that neighborhood.

• 14. Re: Rendered output has no sound in Premiere Elements 14
                                    bluin Level 1

OK, I seem to be getting somewhere.

It would seem that either Bandicam or Premiere Elements 14 don't always play nice together.

I've tried rendering a few different clips now and all but 2 have failed to play the exported clip. This may be due to Bandicam, it may be due to Premiere - but either way it would seem I have a bit more tweaking to do - or none at all if it's temperamental software.

I will now try re-rendering the 2 footages that are problematic to assess if they had a technical hitch during the original render/export. If it's like any other software I've used it wouldn't surprise me if it's not an exact science...

Many thanks again.

EDIT: I will try your 8 advice too - thanks. Out of interest is that low?

• 15. Re: Rendered output has no sound in Premiere Elements 14

8 is good for Youtube..........

• 17. Re: Rendered output has no sound in Premiere Elements 14
                                        bluin Level 1

Thanks - yes I use those settings. The audio syncing is a disaster without the presets.

It's been a steep learning curve - learning all this for before my sons birthday. I should have perhaps given myself longer than a week to try and master: game capturing software, movie editing software, photoshop, rendering and compression software. And the hardware hasn;t even arrived yet - i really hope it's plug and play as promised - but windows 8 usually has another agenda...

As to the 2 dodgy files - it would seem the problem is isolated to them only. Even re-rendering creates the same exact issues.

Time will tell if this is a common occurrence or whether I had an erroneous setting while experimenting with Premiere.

Appreciate your input Ann - Thanks.

• 18. Re: Rendered output has no sound in Premiere Elements 14

I still can't imagine how a basic mp4 output from Premiere Elements wouldn't be playable on an ample-powered computer. We really shouldn't have to tweak the bit rate, etc.

Just curious: If you output a default Quick Export file to your C drive, does it play smoothly on the VLC Player?

My computer isn't quite as pimped out as yours, but VLC Media Player can play an HD mp4 without even working up a sweat.

• 19. Re: Rendered output has no sound in Premiere Elements 14
                                            bluin Level 1

Hi Steve

I think the problem is isolated to 2 files which may or may not be corrupt - and perhaps not coincidentally, both are the original files I first try to render. I've rendered 3 other files, that i've generated through Bandicam since, and they've played flawlessly even at 32 Mbps - so I’m hoping this is an isolated incident.

I will carry on testing tomorrow and update you of any findings. It's 10pm here in the UK and I have designs on making a dent in a bottle of red while finishing off some paper work before the weekend starts proper.

Thanks again for the tips - i'll experiment with quick export to main drive tomorrow and update.

I suppose the computer is pimped on the inside but it has a very discrete case (no lights or window) - and is virtually silent, which is always my main criteria in a build - that and stability. I'm a great believer in; if your computer does what you ask of it, with 10% in it's pocket, then it's not worth upgrading. I've only got 16Gb of memory to experiment with RAMDisk...