6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2016 9:53 AM by Pat Wibbeler

missing pdf files on ipad

sandyf69875416

Help! We use the adobe reader app on our iPad that we use for business. After a recent update to our iPad the app is missing and so are all of our stored pdf documents. Where did they go and how can we find them?

• 1. Re: missing pdf files on ipad
          Pat Wibbeler Adobe Employee

This sounds like an iOS problem. There is nothing the app can do to make itself disappear. Unfortunately, Apple has been having problems with their updater (many updates get stuck) and I suspect that this is a related. Can you please tell me what you see if you:

1. Go to the App Store (on your iPad)
          2. Go to the search tab
          3. Type "Acrobat" in the search

Next to the Adobe Acrobat Reader app, you should see one of 3 things:

1. A button that says "Open". This means that iOS thinks that the app is installed.
          2. A cloud icon with an Arrow. This means that iOS thinks that you've installed the app before but it isn't on this device.
          3. A button that says "Get". This means that iOS thinks that you've never installed the app.

Can you please tell me which of these you see? I have different next steps for each of these.

Pat

• 2. Re: missing pdf files on ipad
            sandyf69875416 Level 1

Thank you, Pat. It was the cloud icon with the down arrow and we reinstalled the app on the device. Then a hard restart and files are still not there.

• 3. Re: missing pdf files on ipad

Hi Sandy,

I have a couple of other ideas:

1. Can you please tell me if these files were in the Document Cloud, Dropbox, or Local?
              2. Are you using the recents list to access files, or another tab in the file browser (screenshot below)?IMG_0048.PNG
              3. Did you uninstall the application? Uninstalling the application causes all local files to be deleted. This is an unfortunate side effect of the way Apple iOS sandboxes applications for (valid) security reasons.

Thank you!

Pat

• 4. Re: missing pdf files on ipad
                sandyf69875416 Level 1

1. I believe the files were local

2. I'm really not sure how my husband accessed the files

3. No, we didn't uninstall the app, however, I believe the app uninstalled itself during the apple update.

We have come to terms that the files are most likely gone forever. It's unfortunate. It is our fault for not backing them up, but in our defense apple doesn't ask or warn about this side effect before an update and apple also informed us that it appears there was an attempt to back up the files in iCloud but it never completed. I guess we are just SOL.

Thanks for your help,

Sandy

• 5. Re: missing pdf files on ipad

That's really unfortunate and I am sorry to hear it. One thing you might try: If you have a Document Cloud account, you might try logging in just to see if you had been using that without knowing it.

• 6. Re: missing pdf files on ipad
                    sandyf69875416 Level 1

Thank you very much. Yes, we did try that, too. There was nothing on the cloud. This unfortunately leaves a very sour taste for the way in which apple operates....