13 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2017 8:29 AM by Szalam

When will Adobe release information about the new multi-core processing architecture that will be implemented in future versions of After Effects?

albin_at_dnn

This is a very crucial and important question that needs answering for companies across the world to base their hardware budgets on. When will Adobe release information about the new multi-core processing architecture that will be implemented in future versions of After Effects? Should all hardware purchases for the next 5 years be based on the current single-core single CPU setup that After Effects uses? Or can we expect an update where multi-core processing will be working again within a year or two?

This question is aimed at the technical developers of After Effects and managers in the development team at Adobe, and it calls for a fact based answer.

Many thanks,

Albin Skalleberg Nilsen

Discovery Networks Norway

• 1. Re: When will Adobe release information about the new multi-core processing architecture that will be implemented in future versions of After Effects?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Not meaning to ruin your day and I don't speak for Adobe as a corporate head, but you won't get any such info. Adobe never discloses such plans, not even to exclusive partners and Beta testers. If you are part of that crowd they might tell you what's scheduled in development for the next one or two years, but five years would simply be an unrealistic stretch. and even features that are scheduled can be nixed when other things take precedence like fixing bugs. And on that subject you could expect that any multicore architecture would have bugs and limitations that will take at least two or three cycles to smooth out. Even the current new threaded render engine still has its share of not so minor issues despite several bugfix updates inbetween. So for what it's worth - any purchase decision should probably be based on what is available with conservative expectations what may or may not come, but expecting the whole architecture to be turned on its head already this year or even next year would be totally unrealistic. Beyond that the old rule sticks - any specifics should be determined on actual workflows, third-party plug-ins, other apps, not necessarily just AE.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: When will Adobe release information about the new multi-core processing architecture that will be implemented in future versions of After Effects?
            albin_at_dnn Level 1

Hei Mylenium,

Thank you for your thoughts on this, much appreciated!

If what you are saying is true, it is recommended to invest in CPU setups with high clockspeed and fewer cores such as an i7, Fast HDDs and sufficient memory. And move away from high end GPU for the time being.

I spoke to a customer service agent who told me that After Effects 2016 BETA is available for betatesters. I applied for becoming a betatester, but never heard anything back, so I don't know what to expect from the 2016 release this summer.

Anyway, I know there are a lot of people wondering about the exact same thing, so I was hoping that Adobe could make an official statement on this topic.

• 3. Re: When will Adobe release information about the new multi-core processing architecture that will be implemented in future versions of After Effects?
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Remember that (as the AE team suggests), you can open your AE CC 2015 projects in AE CC 2014 to render with multiprocessing. Especially on dual-processor machines, this can make a huge difference in render time. Now, that being said, while you're working with AE, you will want to be able to preview things, so I'd err on the side of faster clock speed vs. many cores, but there's no reason to ignore the possibilities of using many cores when it comes to render time. Although, some effects and some expressions will kill multiprocessing even if you're using a version of AE that has it, so I am looking forward with great expectations for a truly multithreaded renderer that won't get disabled like that!

Also, consider what other software you're using! If you work with Cinema 4D, you will find a huge benefit in multiple cores.

As far as GPU use goes, you should also consider what other software you're using. Third-party plugins for AE like Element 3d, Red Giant Universe, Zaxwerks 3d Invigorator, Mettle's Shape Shifter, Trapcode Tao, etc. all run on the GPU. I know some people who have such complex Element scenes that they make use out of dual Titan cards!

Premiere Pro uses the GPU extensively.

If you're a Cinema 4D user, some third-party renderers (including the very popular Octane) run exclusively on the GPU too.

albin_at_dnn wrote:

I was hoping that Adobe could make an official statement on this topic.

That would be nice! But, to help manage your expectations, this is a user-to-user forum and not an official place to contact Adobe. We do often have members of the product team in here (more so than forums for some of Adobe's other software), but it's not part of their job to be in here.

• 4. Re: When will Adobe release information about the new multi-core processing architecture that will be implemented in future versions of After Effects?
                albin_at_dnn Level 1

Hi Szalam,

Thanks for your reply, a lot of good advice there that I will keep in mind for our hardware list.

In terms of our 3D software (3ds max) the multithreading support is pretty much limited to rendering, and as we use a renderfarm it isn't a concern for the new machines. We want to spec them to perform optimally with After Effects for the next couple of years, and it would be a shame to invest in a Dual Xeon for example (which we almost did), which according to this test has shown to actually SLOW DOWN performance as the number of CPUs/cores go up.

Apologies, I was under the understanding that I could get in touch directly with the engineers at Adobe through this forum.

Thanks for the feedback guys, have a nice weekend!

Albin Skalleberg Nilsen

Discovery Networks Norway

• 5. Re: When will Adobe release information about the new multi-core processing architecture that will be implemented in future versions of After Effects?
                  Victoria Nece Adobe Employee

albin_at_dnn wrote:

Apologies, I was under the understanding that I could get in touch directly with the engineers at Adobe through this forum.

Hi Albin,

I'm the product manager for After Effects, and I read the forum posts frequently, as do many of my colleagues. :-)

Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously is probably not returning in its previous form: there are more efficient ways to use multiple cores, and we're investigating what the best solution is for future versions.

Victoria

• 6. Re: When will Adobe release information about the new multi-core processing architecture that will be implemented in future versions of After Effects?

Victoria Nece wrote:

I'm the product manager for After Effects, and I read the forum posts frequently, as do many of my colleagues. :-)

I know I've said it before, but now that you're posing in the wild, welcome to the role, Victoria! It's nice to have someone with your history as a user to take Todd's place. He was a strong advocate for us and I'm sure you will be as well.

Victoria Nece wrote:

Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously is probably not returning in its previous form:

I think we can all agree that this is good news.

Victoria Nece wrote:

...there are more efficient ways to use multiple cores, and we're investigating what the best solution is for future versions.

What Albin (and others, I'm sure) are wondering is if you have an idea on the timeframe for this new rendering system and if you have any suggestion on what sort of hardware might be best when that day comes. Like Albin, I'm getting ready to request upgrades for my suite so picking out the hardware really does depend on what's coming next. From the way you've worded it, I'm guessing you can't really comment more on it until the developers have gotten a more solid direction in mind. Would that be fair to say?

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: When will Adobe release information about the new multi-core processing architecture that will be implemented in future versions of After Effects?
                      dvedvedve Level 1

I think it is kind of ridiculous how Adobe is addressing this issue. They take  multiprocessor rendering out of AF pretty much without warning and then tell you you should use an older version of AF to take advance of it when you notice that things seem to render very slowly and research why.  What is the point of the subscription model if you are forced to use an old version?  I am a hobbyist, so the issue is not a huge one to me.  However, if  I made my living creating motion graphics, or worse, owed a company that did, I would be very unhappy given other programs such as 3D Max seem to be able to make 100 percent usage of hardware.  Adobe should be more forthcoming with information.  I realize a timeline is unrealistic, but it has been quite ap long time since multiprocessor rendering has disappeared.

• 8. Re: When will Adobe release information about the new multi-core processing architecture that will be implemented in future versions of After Effects?
                        Gutter-Fish Level 4

Ironically it's the hobbyists who do most of the complaining about this as most professionals would never constantly be updating their software anyway.

What I do find somewhat interesting in an above reply is the statement that Adobe is "investigating" how and with what to replace the multi-thread rendering.

I would have thought (as little as I know) that this investigation might have taken place before the restructuring began & function was lost.   This leads me to believe that the team doesn't really have a plan.  That they're just "winging it" as they go.  And that is worrisome, at least to me.

• 9. Re: When will Adobe release information about the new multi-core processing architecture that will be implemented in future versions of After Effects?

Gutter-Fish wrote:

This leads me to believe that the team doesn't really have a plan.  That they're just "winging it" as they go.  And that is worrisome, at least to me.

A more optimistic view would be that the AE team had a plan in mind, but as they started working on the new architecture, had some even better ideas, so they're taking a bit more time to hash out this new, better approach.

I'm not saying that's the case for sure, but I like it better. Also, it kind of fits with some of the conversations the AE team had with some people at NAB last year.

Anyway, with an AE power-user like Victoria taking the helm, I have some faith in the future of AE.

• 10. Re: When will Adobe release information about the new multi-core processing architecture that will be implemented in future versions of After Effects?
                            albin_at_dnn Level 1

Hi Victoria,

Thank you for replying. It is clear to me that we will just have to make a guess, and with the comments from all the users on here it's made that guess slightly easier. It also shows that this is a question that affects a lot of companies and individuals. Hopefully we will see signs of the new architecture in the 2016 release in June.

• 11. Re: When will Adobe release information about the new multi-core processing architecture that will be implemented in future versions of After Effects?
                              Gutter-Fish Level 4

You're right.  That is a more optimistic way to look at it.   Truth is I'm not really worried about it & i'm not entirely sure why i said i was.  Maybe I just thought it sounded like the appropriate thing to say. However having said that,  I I can also say I have no faith in other human beings at all.  Zero.  None.  I know too much to.  I guess I'm not an optimist.

• 12. Re: When will Adobe release information about the new multi-core processing architecture that will be implemented in future versions of After Effects?
                                martinc13962311 Level 1

Now over 2 years since multi processing was removed and a new update just released... And guess what.. You got it... Still no multiprocessing! Honestly if you call yourself a professional and you are still using AE to composite you are a fool. I called this years ago, and nothing has changed. There are other options on the market, supported by companies that actually care about their users concerns and not part of some corporate scam to get you on a monthly fee to keep paying for software whether it works on not. After Effects is so low down on Adobe's priority list, all you people sitting their complaining and waiting for this mythical version to appear are just wasting your careers! Seriously, move on... Multi processing and even network rendering is supported in Fusion and Nuke. After Effects has never been a truly professional tool and now it is just a joke...

• 13. Re: When will Adobe release information about the new multi-core processing architecture that will be implemented in future versions of After Effects?

martinc13962311  wrote

Now over 2 years since multi processing was removed and a new update just released... And guess what.. You got it... Still no multiprocessing!

That's right; multiprocessing is not coming back - which is just as Victoria said. It was a hacky workaround to make AE's old architecture make some use of newer processors.

A truly multithreaded renderer, on the other hand might be coming someday. In AE CC 2015, AE actually became truly multithreaded in that the renderer and the UI are now running on separate processing threads. This introduced a number of very severe bugs that the team has spent the last several releases fixing. Things are more stable now and, in the new version, there are some multithreaded things. For example, the Cinema 4D renderer is fully multithreaded. Also, the new Camera Shake Deblur effect is somewhat multithreaded. I would expect to see more and more things become that way in future versions.

Also, more and more things are becoming GPU-accelerated, such as Fractal Noise which makes a HUGE difference in rendering speed.

However, I do understand your frustration. I have a beast of a machine with dual 8-core processors (for a total of 32 threads). It is frustrating when AE doesn't use that power! Also, I understand using other tools (such as Fusion or Nuke) to do compositing, but there really is nothing out there that can do Motion Graphics like After Effects yet.