8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2017 8:48 AM by jeffersonp39425544

OCR using iPad verson of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC mobile app?

mojibake

Hi,

Is it possible to run OCR on a PDF from within the mobile app? I have Acrobat Pro with a Creative Cloud subscription. 'Adobe Acrobat Pro DC' is set to 'subscribed' within the 'My Account' section of the app. I don't want to have to export as a different file type, just process OCR on the PDF.

Thanks

• 1. Re: OCR using iPad verson of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC mobile app?
          abhissha Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Sean,

Please Edit PDF feature which will recognize text in the PDF.

Acrobat Reader Help for iOS: Edit a PDF

Let me know if this works.

Thanks,

Abhishek

• 2. Re: OCR using iPad verson of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC mobile app?
            mojibake Level 1

Hi Abhishek,

Thank you for your response.

I have tried the Edit PDF feature but cannot see any means to run OCR. My PDF source is text based but from a scan. I want to run OCR on the PDF so that the text is recognised in searches etc. I cannot see any means of doing this using the Edit PDF feature in the app as linked to above. When I use this feature with the said PDF all I see are the pages as if being viewed as normal. I cannot see any options such as 'recognize text' etc.

So far, the only way I have found to get any kind of OCR functionality from the app is to run Export PDF to a PowerPoint file. I assume I could then convert this back to a PDF but the output to the PowerPoint is not optimal in the first place and this would be quite an involved process anyhow which is less than ideal.

In the Desktop version of Acrobat DC I can either go to:

"Tools>Edit PDF" and it automatically recognises text via OCR

or:

"Tools>Enhance Scans>Recognise Text" and it also does this.

Is there no way of doing this in the iPad version of Acrobat? Maybe this is not a popular feature of Acrobat but after reading PDFs this is the main reason I use it. Being able to search scans of text is invaluable to me.

I appreciate this is something I can do in the desktop version but I only have this at home. Recently I received some documents from scans which did not have OCR applied and I didn't have access to the desktop version of Acrobat so I am wondering if it is possible.

If it is not currently possible is there somewhere I can make a feature request?

Thanks

Sean

• 3. Re: OCR using iPad verson of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC mobile app?
              abhissha Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Sean,

OCR tool in available in desktop version of Acrobat.

Thanks,

Abhishek

• 4. Re: OCR using iPad verson of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC mobile app?
                jeffersonp39425544

So, to confirm, subscribing to Acrobat DC through the inapp purchase or otherwise, for $25 a month or more: the main feature (ocr) is not available? Many people (myself included) are iOS only, so referring to the desktop app is not an option. This app, advertised as a suite of cloud services, can't perform ocr except on desktop? Or when (even more odd) only when exporting to other file types (docx etc)? Perplexed in Pennsylvania

• 5. Re: OCR using iPad verson of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC mobile app?
                  MoJo-Low

This is absurd.  You guys need to fix this issue.  There is no reason why the acrobat dc should not do the same thing on an ios as it does on a desktop.  It is absurd.  I have an ipad and I have a subsription to acrobat dc.  Please refer this to your development team.  Or at least allow me to do it online in adobe.com cloud apps.  I mean come on.  OCR is a truly wonderful thing to have.  Please fix this issue.  Thanks.

• 6. Re: OCR using iPad verson of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC mobile app?
                    MoJo-Low Level 1

If you take a look at the recent literature on tablet and ipad technology you will see that the ipad and the tablet is takig over.  You should definitely be able to do everything on a tablet you can do on a desktop.  I understand not having a full working app for a phone in a way, but to have a limited acrobat app for ipad is just plain lazy.  It is crucial to have a full app.  Or at least allow ocr online in document cloud.  But i can't even do that.  Please let me know if you guys are working on crating an app for Ipad.  Thanks.

• 8. Re: OCR using iPad verson of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC mobile app?
                      jeffersonp39425544 Level 1

Thanks so much, though this app does not appear to be able to import non-ocr'd pdfs. It appears limited to new photo-scans of physical documents. But that's not what hthis thread is about -- the ability to to take pdfs with no text layer and ocr them either within an Adobe app or on mobile Safari, for those of us (1) paying close to $200 or more a year for Acrobat Pro DC but who (2) use iOS exclusively. There are already millions of people in this category and there will probably be millions more after iOS 11. Will a refund be offered? Nowhere can I find any documentation on the Acrobat Pro DC product page that the ocr (except to Word or for photo-scans) is missing for the millions of us who use iOS only. This is one of the more frustrating experiences I have ever had with a pro-level paid app.