3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2016 4:38 AM by dj_paige

Moving files from PC folders to external harddrive folders from Lightroom.

Jellis96 Level 1

I have duplicate folders in my external harddrive and on my computer.  My computer is getting too full, so I want to delete the duplicates there.  The problem is that I have more pics in the computer folder than in the backup folder.  Is there a way for Lightroom to copy or move just the non-redundant pics from my computer to my backup harddrive?  I tried highlighting them all and moving them, but got an error that they already exist in the backup folder.  I don't want to have to try and look at all the pictures in both folders to figure out which ones are redundant.  Help!!!!

• 1. Re: Moving files from PC folders to external harddrive folders from Lightroom.
          dj_paige Level 9

It sems to me you are confusing two things here.

There is the move process, and then there is the need to create and maintain backups. You can't have them combined, you can't move the originals to the locations where the backups are. Then you have, in reality, no backups. And you MUST have backups.

There is also no way for Lightroom to move just the "non-redundant" photos.

I think you need to seriously reconsider the goal of this effort. I suggest you decide to have backups on one external HD and originals on another external HD. That is something we could provide instructions for, if you want to do this.

• 2. Re: Moving files from PC folders to external harddrive folders from Lightroom.
            Jellis96 Level 1

OK, yes I'd love to have instructions on how to backup all my photos on to another external hard drive. 

• 3. Re: Moving files from PC folders to external harddrive folders from Lightroom.
              dj_paige Level 9

Backing up photos to a different drive can be done via your operating system (copy and paste), but this is a one-time only backup; or better yet by third party utilities that perform automated and regular backups.

You must also make backups of your catalog file, which can be done in Lightroom by turning on the backup option in Catalog Settings. This will cause Lightroom to make backups of your catalog file at some regular interval that you specify (daily, weekly, etc.) When you exit Lightroom, a catalog backup dialog box will appear and give you the option of where to place the backup catalog file, you must specify that this backcup goes to a different disk than the original catalog file.