8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2017 3:11 PM by Kevin-Monahan

Why can't I see the top camera view?

siggywiggywald

Hi there,

I have adobe after effects via CC, so I think all of my updates are installed.  That said, recently I have been using a camera controlled by a 3D null object and while initially I was able to see the top view of the camera, now it appears as just a white box.  I have tried restarting ae, I've tried refreshing the 3D view, I have duplicated the comp, I have tried duplicating the null and camera layers and deleting the originals and nothing is helping to allow me to see the top view.  I have also scrolled through all of the other views and they are working fine.  Is there some other way to get this working?  Any thoughts would be great.

One other thing that may or may not be related is that the when I go to purge my disc cache and memory, that option is greyed out.  The the purge memory option is available and I have done that.  I find that when I purge the cache whatever issue I'm having, that usually solves it.  But this time, no dice.

It's finals week and I need to get this bad boy finished.  Help if you can.

thanks!

k

• 1. Re: Why can't I see the top camera view?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nobody can tell you anything without proper system info or other technical details, including screenshots of your comp window and timeline.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Why can't I see the top camera view?
            BartonGarrett256 Level 2

I had the same problem- I could see my layers|camera in all views except the Top view. The Top view is just a checkerboard

I tried everything I could think of, including creating a new composition, moving in all three axis, restarting the application and searching the forums and the web.  This was the only post that came close.

It finally resolved when I, in the click every switch I could find mode, I clicked on the "Toggle Mask and Shape Path Visibility" (at bottom left of Comp window, near view % display) and they appeared.  When I clicked it a second time they did not go away.  Hard to not call that a bug.

• 3. Re: Why can't I see the top camera view?
              Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

please share the exact Ae version you are using - full numbers, and also provide some full screenshots that illustrate the problem step by step. video capture would be nice too.

• 4. Re: Why can't I see the top camera view?
                BartonGarrett256 Level 2

Thanks for the prompt reply.  I'm using the full suite of CC apps on a purpose built (by me)PC. I think Ae is 2017, I may have one . revision to upgrade to.  I like to wait until the dust settles before upgrading.  That computer is now off for the night.

If it happens again I'll do a screen capture. If I wasn't clear in the above post- clicking on the Toggle Mask button made them (layer and camera wire frames) magically appear in the Top view, and re clicking on it did not make them disappear.  It is working normally now.

I just posted because I didn't see any posts about this problem where posters said how they resolved the issue. We can't bill clients for troubleshooting software, nor can I miss deadlines.  Just trying to share the love.

I've never seen a bug happen to one user, and only one user.

• 5. Re: Why can't I see the top camera view?
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have seen a bug or problem happen to just one user. I have seen it many times, especially on Windows machines that a user has built or customized themselves. I have also seen bugs on almost all machines involving common tasks that should have been caught by the developers because so many people have those kinds of machines and the task is so common. Sometimes bugs just slip buy. I don't believe that somebody that still has a job sat in a meeting somewhere and said to the group, well the system just doesn't work but we are going to release it anyway because we have a deadline.

If resetting the workspace, and choosing fit in the Magnification Factor and View Camera and wireframes are not set up in the options and there is not a 3D layer selected so the handles or anchor point are visible or the layer is not at an angle to the top camera, or the elements in the scene are not inside the top camera's angle of view (which you cannot change) then it's a display bug that appears not to be very common. If that is the case try and carefully document the workflow that leads to the bug and provide a thorough description of your hardware and software configuration. It's the only way to get the bug squashed.

• 6. Re: Why can't I see the top camera view?
                    BartonGarrett256 Level 2

Thanks for the reply Rick. I use the forum when I am stuck, and I also surf it to learn new things.  Your posts are great- you have wonderful bedside manner, explain things very well and really know your stuff.  I have learned many cool tricks from you. 

I do not consider myself anything close to the expert level in Ae. On this problem when I created a new comp with two layers and a camera then looked at the Custom, Right and Left views the wireframes were present and centered, but not visible in the top view.   Clicking on the button I mentioned brought them up in the Top view, clicking on it again did not reverse the behavior.

On the bug thing I have slightly different perspective.  I am an engineer, I worked in development and then product management on complex instruments used for genetic research. In over two decades I never saw a product ship without bugs. Ever, at half a dozen companies.  At product review/ launch meetings the software guys would trot out the list, bugs were ranked according to severity, and the fix before release line moved up or down due to commercial pressure, that is just life. I would bet dollars to donuts the Ae list is pages long. Some of those bugs are things only testers can find, but some are not.  It was very unusual for me to take a bug to the test group they had not seen. 

And the practice of syncing all the launches on one date, is to be polite, crazy.   I understand why, but the odds of getting all those products good enough to launch on the same-and fixed- date is roughly equal to winning the lottery.  The 2014 launch, Pr especially,  was a good illustration of that.  And even last year-Ps horribly broke the refine edge command and just fixed it on the latest release.

I do hope they have a measure of customer satisfaction in their bonus system.  If you do not measure it you can't fix it.

• 7. Re: Why can't I see the top camera view?
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

BartonGarrett256 wrote:

And the practice of syncing all the launches on one date, is to be polite, crazy. I understand why, but the odds of getting all those products good enough to launch on the same-and fixed- date is roughly equal to winning the lottery.

I recall one of Adobe's favorite rationales for having the rental model when it was first introduced.  In so many words, "we can release new versions whenever they're ready".

Sure, you can.  And chickens have lips.

• 8. Re: Why can't I see the top camera view?
                        Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi siggywiggywald,

Looks like this issue just cropped up again. I was wondering if you ever solved this issue. Did you? Please let us know. It could assist others looking to solve a similar issue.

Thanks,
                        Kevin