7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2016 1:11 PM by trshaner

Bright White background

paulettefarrell

i have drawings that I want to create prints from. I want the background to be white. I have been using the adjustment brush and I followed the tutorial but there's a few things I'm stuck on.  Firstly what am I trying to adjust is it the exposure or the white or something else. What do I select from the list of things to adjust? Secondly when my background meets my drawing how do I create a soft transition from my drawing to the white background?  Thanks

• 1. Re: Bright White background
          dj_paige Level 9

Is this a Lightroom question?

I don't think this can be done in Lightroom. However, Photoshop should have no trouble making white backgrounds and proper transitions.

• 2. Re: Bright White background
            paulettefarrell Level 1

Yes, I have done it in lightroom but I'm not sure how to do it correctly and soften the edges

• 3. Re: Bright White background
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can use the Adjustment Brush with 'Auto Mask' selected and Exposure +5.0, but this will only work if the background is significantly different in color and/or brightness than the actual drawing. You can then hold down the ALT key to erase spill-over areas that should not be white. Below is an example that took about five seconds. If your drawings or results are "different" please post a screenshot here and I'll try to provide some suggestions.

• 4. Re: Bright White background
                paulettefarrell Level 1

Thanks so much for getting back to me.  Here is a drawing that I have used the adjustment brush to whiten some of the background.  I'm happy with it but I want to soften where the white meets the image background so it is not so different.

swept away-white.jpg

swept away-white-4.jpg

• 5. Re: Bright White background

Try the below Adjustment Brush settings. Make sure every setting  is as shown.

If you don't have LR CC 2015 then you wont have the Dehaze slider, but you still may like the results with just -2.0 Exposure

• 6. Re: Bright White background
                    paulettefarrell Level 1

That looks like its done it and so quick. Thanks so much for that.  How come it has left no pixels at all? I spent ages on the one above trying to brush away but your method has created a bright white and a nice haze

• 7. Re: Bright White background

Glad to help. This is generally caused when using Auto Mask. Small areas that have slightly different color or brightness won't have the Adjustment Brush settings applied, which will look like speckling or noise. Look at the upper and lower left-hand corners of my pencil sketch and you'll some speckles. To get rid of them simply go back over the speckled areas with Auto Mask unchecked (OFF) using a smaller brush size.

Since you aren't trying to create a defined edge like I did in the pencil sketch there is no need to use Auto Mask.