2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2016 11:44 AM by christola58

Removing Apple Aperture JPEG Previews from Lightroom

christola58 Level 1

Hi -

I originally used Aperture but have been using Lightroom for years. I transferred all Aperture photos into Lightroom, but all JPEG previews came as well. Is there an easy way to filter out the JPEGS so that they can be deleted?

Thanks for any help?

• 1. Re: Removing Apple Aperture JPEG Previews from Lightroom
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In Library you can select File Type as a filter option and set JPG as the filetype to show.  You bring up the filter bar using the backslash \ key.  Backslash does something different in Develop so make sure you're in Library.

After you have only JPG files showing, you can select them and remove them, but you still need to be smart about it and not remove JPGs that aren’t Aperture previews.  I don’t know how you can determine that, exactly.  If the only JPGs in LR are from Aperture then it’d be easy, but if you’ve exported JPGs that you reimported into LR then some of your final files could be alongside your abandoned JPGs.

You also want to decide if you’ll be removing the JPGs from your hard-drive or just from LR’s catalog.  Are you trying to save space or trying to reduce the clutter in LR?

• 2. Re: Removing Apple Aperture JPEG Previews from Lightroom
            christola58 Level 1

This is great. Thank you for your help. I ended up using a Text search and put in "preview.jpg" as that's how they were named i.e. Filename_Aperture_preview.jpg

Was trying to reduce the clutter as the previews were identical to the actual NEF files and I didn't want to be adjusting/editing the previews by mistake. The little bit of extra space will be nice too.

Thanks again for your response and your help!

Chris

1 person found this helpful