6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2016 9:48 AM by clintiepoo

Nikon D5300 tethering Lightroom 5.7

clintiepoo

I have lightroom installed in both a windows and mac environment.  Windows tethers my computer just fine, but my Mac with El Capitan says "no camera detected."  Is there any way to tether my camera to lightroom on my mac?

• 1. Re: Nikon D5300 tethering Lightroom 5.7
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

With El Capitan, Apple removed functionality from the OS that Nikon used to tether cameras, so all Nikon software was broken as was any third-party software like Adobe LR, that used Nikon software to interface with the camera.

There was a long time for Nikon to have updated things before El Capitan came out but they didn’t, and it took them several months to fix things, so all of Nikon’s customers were in the lurch for those months.

LR 6.4/LR 2015.4 was the version of LR released after Nikon updated their camera interface software so it is the earliest version that supports Nikon tethering on El Capitan.  LR 5.7 is 1.5 years old by now and has long since stopped getting updates.

• 2. Re: Nikon D5300 tethering Lightroom 5.7
            clintiepoo Level 1

I think what you're saying is true, but I'm disappointed.  I bought lightroom about 13 months ago and now this significant feature doesn't work at all.  I'm ok with not getting upgrades unless I pay for them, but it's frustrating that features I paid for won't work any longer.  I know this one might be Nikon's fault, but Adobe fixed this issue in LR6.  Software should work as advertised for longer than this...

Not your fault, and thanks for answering my question, but I wanted to post publicly that I'm not a happy customer.  Adobe has me over a barrel unless I upgrade...

• 3. Re: Nikon D5300 tethering Lightroom 5.7

You bought LR 5 at the very end of its release cycle.  LR 6 came out 11 months ago, in April 2015.  One of the reasons to get a subscription so you’ll always have the latest version.

• 4. Re: Nikon D5300 tethering Lightroom 5.7
                clintiepoo Level 1

This is true, but I still feel slighted by the removal or disabling of features that were included at one time.  Regardless of if Nikon or Adobe is at fault, as a user I expect things to continue working for a reasonable amount of time.  I'm not running LR1 - I'm running last year's release.  This should be hotfixed.

An analogy would be buying a bicycle and 13 months later some of the gears stop working.  Your options are: keep riding this feature-disabled bike, buy a new bicycle, or use the subscription citybike system. 

I appreciate your help, and I will consider the subscription because I use this program a lot and it's an ok deal.  But - I still resent being forced into paying monthly for something that should have worked longer than this.  It's not good business.

• 5. Re: Nikon D5300 tethering Lightroom 5.7

Apple removed functions from the OS that Nikon used for tethering.  Nikon was using old functions even though the new functions were available for quite a while before El Capitan.  Whether the new OS functions were available back during the LR 5 series, already, for Nikon to have updated things Adobe could have used, back then, I don't know.

The subscription is the way to avoid being stuck with a version that isn't updated once a new version comes out, and you get new features like Dehaze and Panorama Boundary Warp as soon as they are ready instead of waiting until the next major version release, and you get Photoshop.

• 6. Re: Nikon D5300 tethering Lightroom 5.7
                    clintiepoo Level 1

Yep - I'm definitely considering it.  Thanks again.