11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2016 12:10 PM by Zeppax

'Delete from disk' problem corrected - how to trash older files

Zeppax

For many months I used 'delete from disk', but then I found it wasn't working. I had all the photos on an external HD and imported each folder into LR. So I might have 250 photos on the HD but only 63 left in LR.

When I realized what was wrong - I had to change the permissions for the external HD in Apple to 'read and write:all' - I had many many files deleted in LR but actually still present.

Is there an easy way to go back and delete them, inside or outside LR? Renaming the the original folder and trying to import it just showed all files greyed out.

Or is my best tactic simply to leave things alone?

• 1. Re: 'Delete from disk' problem corrected - how to trash older files
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Not sure what you mean by "I had many files deleted in LR but actually still present".

1) Do you mean they still show in LR?

2) Or that they are still on the disk but Not visible in LR?

If one (1) then just select all of them and Delete From Disk.

If two (2) then use the File Manager program for your OS, Finder, to Delete them from the external drive.

• 2. Re: 'Delete from disk' problem corrected - how to trash older files
            Zeppax Level 1

Yes, sorry, that was badly expressed. They are not visible in LR but they are still on the disk.

In (2), how do I identify them? Time has passed since I 'deleted from disk' in LR.

• 3. Re: 'Delete from disk' problem corrected - how to trash older files

Well I'm not sure but there are a couple of options.

1) In LR take all the images from that disk/folder and Move them to some other folder or Disk. Then once that has completed you can delete whatever is remaining in the original folder/disk.

2) Synchronize that disk/folder to re-import the the images you had removed from LR and when the re-import is done only those images will be displayed when selecting "Previous Import" (If it isn't already selected). You can then Select All and Delete from disk which will, or should, remove them from LR and Delete them from the disk.

But let me ask exactly how is that external drive formatted. In a Finder window right click on the drive name and select Get Info. In the window that pops up what exactly is the format of that drive.

• 4. Re: 'Delete from disk' problem corrected - how to trash older files
                Zeppax Level 1

It's Mac OS (Extended) Journaled.

That gives me something to try out, thanks. Will start with 2).

I should have explained from the first that my problem is identifying which files I want(ed) to delete - of course I realize I could delete them outside LR, it's just identifying them that's the problem.

• 5. Re: 'Delete from disk' problem corrected - how to trash older files
                  Zeppax Level 1

I don't think this works. I haven't succeeded in moving the images within LR, and if I did there would be none left in the LR folder, as I have deleted them. It is only on the external HD that they are no deleted.

It would be useful to get a list of the file names in the relevant LR folders, then I could compare them with those on the HD. But whenever I try to do that, I get a list of all. I think I am going to abandon this as a waste of time.

• 6. Re: 'Delete from disk' problem corrected - how to trash older files
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your images are not "in" Lightroom. They are simply in the folder on your external hard drive. If you move the images, using Lightroom, that are being displayed in Lightroom then those are the only images that will be moved to the new folder. Then you can delete everything in the old folder. But you will have to use Finder (Mac) or File Explorer (Windows). Then you can open Lightroom again, and if you want to you can move the images back to their original holder.

• 7. Re: 'Delete from disk' problem corrected - how to trash older files
                      Zeppax Level 1

Sorry to be so obtuse. As I understand it, I never do anything outside LR, but this is one exception, in that LR thinks I deleted those images from disk. So I do understand that I use Finder to delete them, once I know which.

For example, I have a folder in LR called Berlin 15 f. It contains 61 images. The folder berlin f in Finder contains 118 images. So there are 57 images to delete in Finder.

This is where I get stuck. I go to berlin f in LR and select all. How do I move them? And where? I could import one single image into a new folder in LR which I could use for moving things around, but could you tell me where the 'Move' command is located? I'm afraid my use of the software is limited.

• 8. Re: 'Delete from disk' problem corrected - how to trash older files

Zeppax wrote:

I don't think this works. I haven't succeeded in moving the images within LR, and if I did there would be none left in the LR folder, as I have deleted them. It is only on the external HD that they are no deleted.

It would be useful to get a list of the file names in the relevant LR folders, then I could compare them with those on the HD. But whenever I try to do that, I get a list of all. I think I am going to abandon this as a waste of time.

It works just fine.

If you move the images that are DISPLAYED in LR (They are NOT IN LR. Just a references to where they are on your hard drive is IN LR) in that folder to some other folder that you create. That would leave just the images that you had already Removed from LR in the original folder. So you could use Finder to select and Delete all of them. Or if you rather do it in LR then you Import them, as they currently aren't in the LR catalog file, then Select all of them and then Delete them From Disk.

Once you know they are gone you can move the others back into that original folder from inside LR or leave them where you moved them to.

• 9. Re: 'Delete from disk' problem corrected - how to trash older files

Zeppax wrote:

Sorry to be so obtuse. As I understand it, I never do anything outside LR, but this is one exception, in that LR thinks I deleted those images from disk. So I do understand that I use Finder to delete them, once I know which.

For example, I have a folder in LR called Berlin 15 f. It contains 61 images. The folder berlin f in Finder contains 118 images. So there are 57 images to delete in Finder.

This is where I get stuck. I go to berlin f in LR and select all. How do I move them? And where? I could import one single image into a new folder in LR which I could use for moving things around, but could you tell me where the 'Move' command is located? I'm afraid my use of the software is limited.

You Drag and Drop them to a folder you created. You can also select all, Right Click on the External drive name and select Create folder inside DriveName. When the dialog pops up to name the folder you want to create there should be an option to Move/Included the selected files in that folder. You must Select them in the Grid view not in the film strip.

• 10. Re: 'Delete from disk' problem corrected - how to trash older files
                            Zeppax Level 1

Thank you - I will report back when I have had time to try this.

• 11. Re: 'Delete from disk' problem corrected - how to trash older files
                              Zeppax Level 1

This is highly bizarre.

I went inside LR, grid view - Library, create new folder ("rubbish"), then to my berlinf folder, which had 61 in it according to LR but 120 in it according to Finder, selected all - new folder "rubbish" asked if I wanted to move the selected photos there, said yes, then I got the message: this will cause the corresponding files on disk to be moved - cannot be undone. Then LR said the berlin f file was empty. But Finder said it was empty too, that is, the 59 files I wanted to delete had vanished.

Perhaps inside LR only the catalogued and not deleted files count, but surely they should all show up in Finder.