11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2016 8:36 AM by F. McLion

Print to jpeg doesn't work

felzi276

Hi,

today I tried the print module for the first time.

I am on LR CC 2015.4 and OSX 10.10.5

- I selected just one image

- Page settings: custom 80x60 cm (poster)

- Watermark

- Print photo info: title

- Output: JPEG file

- Color management: ICC-profile from a print provider

When I click to "Save to file" (don't know exact English label, I'm using German version) I am asked for a filename. After selecting a folder and entering a filename I click to "Save".

Then nothing else happens, apart from info message "Print order will be prepared ...".

There is no progress and of course no output file.

I am a little confused.

Anybody an idea?

Thomas

• 1. Re: Print to jpeg doesn't work
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hab das eben mal schnell probiert ... funktioniert bei mir wie es soll.

Hast du mal einen anderen Zielordner probiert?

• 2. Re: Print to jpeg doesn't work
            felzi276 Level 1

F. McLion schrieb:

Hab das eben mal schnell probiert ... funktioniert bei mir wie es soll.

Hast du mal einen anderen Zielordner probiert?

Habe es mit verschiedenen Ordner probiert. Macht kein Unterschied. Nur "Druckauftrag wird vorbereitet", sonst passiert nichts.

• 3. Re: Print to jpeg doesn't work
              JoeKostoss Level 4

1. If you are printing to a jpeg file, the Color Profile should be sRGB, not an ICC profile, which is associated with a specific printer.

2. You might try turning off the Graphics Processor.  Go to Lightroom>Preferences>Performance.

Screenshot 2016-03-09 07.00.48.png

• 4. Re: Print to jpeg doesn't work
                felzi276 Level 1

JoeKostoss schrieb:

1. If you are printing to a jpeg file, the Color Profile should be sRGB, not an ICC profile, which is associated with a specific printer.

2. You might try turning off the Graphics Processor.  Go to Lightroom>Preferences>Performance.

Screenshot 2016-03-09 07.00.48.png

It works when I change the color profile to sRGB.

Graphics Processor on or off makes no difference.

It's because of the color profile.

Thank you for your help.

Nevertheless I don't understand why it does not work with an ICC profile. I thought if my print provider offers ICC profiles I should use it.

• 5. Re: Print to jpeg doesn't work

On my Windows PC it works with sRGB as well as with a profile from a print provider.

Actually, I also think it should and there is a purpose as you say

• 6. Re: Print to jpeg doesn't work
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If it works for some profiles and not others, maybe the original embed is failing because it's a CMYK profile instead of an RGB profile?  Whether it's CMYK or RGB should be visible when you go to add a new profile using Other...

• 7. Re: Print to jpeg doesn't work
                      JoeKostoss Level 4

If you are printing to a local system printer rather that to a jpeg file, then, yes, you should use the ICC profile provided for your specific printer/paper combination.  The ICC profile translates the RGB color of your image to the proper CMYK requirements of the printer/paper so that you get a proper print.  On the other hand, if you are using an outside print lab, there is no reason to save your jpeg to their ICC profile.  You should provide your jpeg file in an RGB color space, usually sRGB unless they specifically say that they will accept Adobe RGB or Pro Photo RGB,  and let their system translate the RGB to their specific CMYK per the ICC.  The main reason they will provide the ICC profile is so that you can perform soft proofing of your image to determine how much of your image may be out of the gamut for their printer/paper combination.  In some cases you might be able to adjust your image to bring it into gamut, but you still must save it in RGB color space before sending it off.  Yes, saving the file in their ICC color space might actually work in LR, but that does not make it correct.

• 8. Re: Print to jpeg doesn't work
                        felzi276 Level 1

JoeKostoss schrieb:

The main reason they will provide the ICC profile is so that you can perform soft proofing of your image to determine how much of your image may be out of the gamut for their printer/paper combination.  In some cases you might be able to adjust your image to bring it into gamut, but you still must save it in RGB color space before sending it off.  Yes, saving the file in their ICC color space might actually work in LR, but that does not make it correct.

First of all thank you very much for detailled description.

I did that for the first time.

So if I understand you correct, I need the ICC profile only in Lab/Process module (don't know exact English name) and align the image against the ICC profile. It's to prevent having colors that cannot be printed correctly and so on.

After that I can either just export the image or use the Print module. But in both cases I have to use sRBG color space (or AdobeRGB, Pro Photo RBG if possible).

• 9. Re: Print to jpeg doesn't work

Some reading for you: http://spyder.datacolor.com/de/how-to-guides/

Hope this clears up things a bit

• 10. Re: Print to jpeg doesn't work
                            JoeKostoss Level 4

felzi276 wrote:

...So if I understand you correct, I need the ICC profile only in Lab/Process module (don't know exact English name) and align the image against the ICC profile. It's to prevent having colors that cannot be printed correctly and so on.

After that I can either just export the image or use the Print module. But in both cases I have to use sRBG color space (or AdobeRGB, Pro Photo RBG if possible).

"Lab/Process Module" in English versions is called "Develop Module".

Yes, other than performing soft proofing, I find little use for a Lab ICC color profile.  Bear in mind, however, that if your image contains colors that are out of gamut, there really is not much you can do about it; the printer cannot print what it cannot print!  You can change you image colors so that they now agree with the printer, but the printer will do that for you anyway; all you have done is change your image to agree with the printer capability.  I will use the ICC profile to check if major important sections of my image are out if gamut.  If they are, I will use the print module by selecting the Perceptual Rendering, which will preserve out-of-gamut detail but may change in-gamut colors.  If the out-of-gamut colors are in minor, unimportant areas, I will select Relative Rendering, which preserves in-gamut colors but may clip out-of-gamut detail.  I may also change the exposure or contrast if the soft-proof print looks somewhat flat, but I seldom find this to be necessary.  Most labs require sRGB color space, but some high end labs will accept the larger gamut Adobe RGB or Pro Photo RGB, which is great if you find one in your country.

If, on the other hand, you are printing directly to your own in-house ink jet printer from the Print Module, than the proper ICC profile for your printer/paper combination is absolutely vital.  (You are printing directly here, not making a jpeg file.)

• 11. Re: Print to jpeg doesn't work

I forgot to mention .. in addition to Joe's detailed explanation. Ask your lab what they support! I do a lot of printing on canvas with a local lab and they support ProPhoto RGB color space, so I export everything to this color space that I produce with this lab.