8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2016 3:00 PM by Just Shoot Me

moving lighroom from hdd to a ssd

Fotomi Level 1

Pleas advise me on how to move my Lightroom 6 program and my Photoshop CS5.1 from a HDD to a SSD?  I am shy doing this because I followed the Adobe directions for moving my pictures from one HDD to another and in the process lost 20% of them; now I am in total mass and Adobe has not provided me any help.

• 1. Re: moving lighroom from hdd to a ssd
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You may need to reinstall the applications. What is your OS, and do you have the SSD as an additional drive or do you plan to replace the HDD?

• 2. Re: moving lighroom from hdd to a ssd
            Fotomi Level 1

It's an OS on Win 7 , thanks.

Best regards,

Tomi Lahcanski

This note was sent from my iPhone.

• 3. Re: moving lighroom from hdd to a ssd
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Are you planing on moving the operating system to the SSD also and all your other programs? I suggest you do.

You need a Drive Image program to image the current rotating HDD and then Load that image on the SSD. With a Drive Imaging program it is quite simple.

There are several free imaging program on the Net. One might even come with the SSD you bought or can be downloaded from the SSD makers website for just this purpose.

One is Macrium Reflect Free which I have actually used with success. But I normally use Acronis True Image as I own most all versions of it.

These programs can also do image backups of your system on a regular basis, Time Frame. IMHO Everyone should be using one to backup their system at least once every week.

• 4. Re: moving lighroom from hdd to a ssd
                Fotomi Level 1

My OS and all other programs are already on my SSD but, unfortunately, the LR program was is on an external drive and now I want to move it onto my OS/SSD. If I reinstall the program, as was suggested above, will I lose the relationship to my catalogs? Thanks for the advice.

• 5. Re: moving lighroom from hdd to a ssd

Just backup your current catalog file, that should be in your User Name folder anyway, and reinstall LR on the main system drive. Then Open your current LR catalog file and everything should be OK.

• 6. Re: moving lighroom from hdd to a ssd
                    Fotomi Level 1

Clarification.  I still have the old version of the catalogs.  I assume they are no longer needed but just in case, is there a way to consalidate them into  my most recent before I back it up? Thanks again.  I ask because I want to be extra cautios -  I got burned once already and don't want to do it again. 

• 7. Re: moving lighroom from hdd to a ssd
                      JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You would have to open the older catalogs with your current version, and allow Lightroom to create new copies. After you do that you can open your main catalog and import from each of the other catalogs that were converted.

I recently changed my C drive with a SSD drive. I had my original drive cloned, so it copied the operating system and everything onto the new drive. Then I put the new SSD drive in the C position. Everything works basically the same. The computer boots faster, and the programs load much more quickly. However, after Lightroom has loaded, the processing time in Lightroom hasn't changed. All of that processing is dependent on the speed of the processor and has nothing to do with the disk.

• 8. Re: moving lighroom from hdd to a ssd

Fotomi wrote:

Clarification.  I still have the old version of the catalogs.  I assume they are no longer needed but just in case, is there a way to consalidate them into  my most recent before I back it up? Thanks again.  I ask because I want to be extra cautios -  I got burned once already and don't want to do it again.

Your older versions of the catalog would of been Upgraded to the newer version when you installed the newer version of LR. There shouldn't be any photos in those older versions that aren't in your current catalog. That is if you only use one catalog and you did allow LR to upgrade your catalog from version to version of LR.

I've been using LR since version 1 and have never created a New catalog other than the one that was created by LR 1. So every image that I've imported into version 1 through 5 of LR is still in my current LR CC/6 catalog file.

Yours should be the same. So I see no need to try and import those old catalogs into your current LR CC/6 catalog.

If for some reason you started a new catalog with the install of LR CC/6 then I'm not sure what to tell you. That means you have many images that are not in your current catalog.