16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2016 6:22 AM by dj_paige

Same image in multiple catalogs

crpd

If I import the same image into multiple catalogs, will changes to the image be reflected in all catalogs?

I want to create catalogs based on different criteria, and since I have a huge number of images having smart collections in one complete catalog bogs down the computer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Same image in multiple catalogs
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

It is best to have one catalog with all your images in it. Then use Keywords or collections for your criteria.

The number of images in any catalog does not Bog down LR. The Catalog is just a database file. It does not contain any images. It contains a reference to the image.

The only way to have multiple catalogs that include some of the same images and have any changes made to those same images in different catalogs is to Auto Write changes to a XMP sidecar file and then in the other catalogs Read metadata from disk when you get a metadata conflict.

My thoughts are having more than one catalog is counter productive and confusing. You have to continually switch between catalogs to fine an image you are looking for. Having all images in one catalog, using Keywords and or collections and the ability to use the filter bar to find specific images is the proper way to use LR to its fullest potential.

This has been proven over and over in the last 9 years LR has been out.

• 2. Re: Same image in multiple catalogs
            crpd Level 1

Thanks for the quick response.

I have over 200,000 images and when I split one year away from the main catalog for testing, the program did respond better... Maybe it's the PC that can't handle that, I'm not sure. I'm not familiar With the "Auto Write changes" or "Read meta date from disk", I'm new to Lightroom so I guess I need to learn more before I decide how to deal with this. Don't really want to buy another machine right now

• 3. Re: Same image in multiple catalogs
              dj_paige Level 9

I have over 200,000 images and when I split one year away from the main catalog for testing, the program did respond better...

In general, this is not a true statement, Lightroom speed does not depend on catalog size.

Now, there may be exceptions, you are seeing something, but what you are seeing may have nothing to do with catalog size. Exactly what type of response (what actions in Lightroom) were faster?

Is it so much faster that it will offset the time you will spend to having the same image in multiple catalogs?

As stated above, the best way to use Lightroom is one catalog for all photos, and there are people who report their catalog works well with 500,000 images in it.

• 4. Re: Same image in multiple catalogs
                crpd Level 1

The difference in response was evident when starting the program, until all the previews show up in the library, if you scroll too fast it takes a while for the previews to show up, bringing up one nef image takes a while until it's fully loaded, going into develop mode is sluggish as well. All the above were faster and smoother with a smaller catalog of about 15000 images.

• 5. Re: Same image in multiple catalogs
                  dj_paige Level 9

It almost sounds as if the previews have not yet been generated for the 200,000 images in your catalog. What happens if you force Lightroom to generate the previews, and let it run overnight (Library->Previews->Build 1:1 Previews)? Are things faster after that?

Also, what type of disk are the catalog file and previews stored on? Best would be to store them on an SSD if you have space, or if you don't have space on an SSD, put them on your fastest disk (which is usually the internal disk).

• 6. Re: Same image in multiple catalogs
                    crpd Level 1

The previews have been generated for sure, it's been a while since we imported the images and it did work for quite a while until it was done. I have just under 3 TB and they are split between 2 internal drives of 2 TB each 7200 rpm. The pc is an AMD A8 with 32 gig of ram and running windows 7. Could it be that it's just the machine under powered?

• 7. Re: Same image in multiple catalogs
                      dj_paige Level 9

The previews have been generated for sure, it's been a while since we imported the images and it did work for quite a while until it was done.

How do you know all 200,000 previews were generated?

I have just under 3 TB and they are split between 2 internal drives of 2 TB each 7200 rpm. The pc is an AMD A8 with 32 gig of ram and running windows 7. Could it be that it's just the machine under powered?

The speed of the CPU and memory isn't the primary cause for the symptoms you described. The primary cause is that the Previews haven't been generated, or there is some disk slowdown preventing the previews from being found. A secondary possible cause is to turn off the GPU (go to Preferences, click on Performance, then uncheck the box).

Having "a huge number of images having smart collections" could also be the problem, exactly how many smart collections do you have? What does it mean when you say "images have smart collections"? Normally, the phrasing used would be the opposite "smart collections having images".

• 8. Re: Same image in multiple catalogs
                        Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

crpd wrote:

The previews have been generated for sure, it's been a while since we imported the images and it did work for quite a while until it was done. I have just under 3 TB and they are split between 2 internal drives of 2 TB each 7200 rpm. The pc is an AMD A8 with 32 gig of ram and running windows 7. Could it be that it's just the machine under powered?

Yes on the CPU. But it also has to do with the slower rotating HDD you have. Keeping images on those rotating HDD is fine but you should have the catalog and Previews on a SSD.

• 9. Re: Same image in multiple catalogs
                          dj_paige Level 9

So what CPU do you have?

• 10. Re: Same image in multiple catalogs
                            joachims25232702 Level 1

I have a catalog for each year since 2004. I am perfectly happy with it. Each catalog holds about 2000 photos in about 20 collection. Each year has a "best of" collection of 200 pictures which is imported into another master catalog. Plus I have 10 catalogs for various flavors of scan. Works all great. I feel not good having to many collection in one catalog, it easily messes up.

• 11. Re: Same image in multiple catalogs
                              crpd Level 1

CPU is AMD A8-7600

• 12. Re: Same image in multiple catalogs
                                dj_paige Level 9

Your CPU is about 2 years old and relatively slow by today's standards ... so that may be part of the problem ... but if it is part of the problem, then a slow CPU can't possibly explain why a smaller catalog runs faster ... a smaller catalog with the same CPU (if that is the problem) should show the same slowness that you reported.

... I still think the problem is more rlelated to the previews not being completely generated, and again I reequest to know how you can be sure that all 200,000 previews were generated. Again, I request that you generate the 1:1 previews overnight and see if the problem improves.

• 13. Re: Same image in multiple catalogs
                                  crpd Level 1

I'm out of town right now, this weekend I'll let it generate 1:1 previews. If they were already generated, will bit over write?

• 14. Re: Same image in multiple catalogs
                                    dj_paige Level 9

There's no harm in regenerating previews that already exist.

• 15. Re: Same image in multiple catalogs
                                      crpd Level 1

I will regenerate the previews this weekend like I said and see how it behaves, I'll report back when that's done. Any settings to the preferences you recommend that might help performance?

• 16. Re: Same image in multiple catalogs
                                        dj_paige Level 9

As I said above, turn off the GPU, although that probably shouldn't have any effect on generating previews (but you never know)