7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2016 10:59 AM by MrJoshameeGibbs

HD export options for Adobe Premiere Elements 9

MrJoshameeGibbs

Hi,

I'm working on an Adobe Premiere Elements 9 project, and I'd like to export it with the as much quality as possible. My videos were filmed with a Panasonic HC-V700M HD. The video files are in 16:9 .MTS format and here's all their informations (in french, but it shouldn't change anything) :

Capture2.PNG

I've tried pretty much all the preset export settings, but I'd like to know if someone had any idea of an "advanced export settings" option that could work perfectly for my project?

I'm planning on exporting it to my PC, but also uploading it on YouTube and making it a DVD, so it can really be any export!

Thank you,

MrJoshameeGibbs

• 1. Re: HD export options for Adobe Premiere Elements 9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your camcorder shoots in several modes and resolutions. So these suggestions are based on the assumption that you've shot 1920x1080 AVCHD video and that you used Premiere Elements' Get Media tools to import the M2T files from the camcorder to your hard drive.

It also assumes that you've set up your Premiere Elements for AVCHD video. Since version 11, the program does this setup by itself -- but in version 9, you had to do it manually -- and it was only available to do it when you first started your project. And if you didn't do it correctly, you won't get a high-quality output.

Look at the Project Settings/General page under the Edit menu. Does it show 1920x1080 video at 60 frames/second as the project settings? If so, you're in good shape. (I'm assuming you're not in Europe, where video is at 50 frames/second -- since your video specifications show 60 frames/second.)

Outputting a DVD of your video requires no special set-up. Just go to Share/Disc and select the DVD option. Assuming your video is runs less than 80 minutes, you'll get a full quality DVD from your video. Note, however, that DVDs are NOT high-resolution videos. DVDs are 720x480 pixels -- so the video is not going to be nearly as high resolution as your original footage. But other than that, it should look great.

Premiere Elements 9 includes tools for uploading directly to YouTube -- but I recommend outputting your video to your hard drive and then manually loading it to YouTube to get the best quality.

To output a high-quality video for YouTube, use Share/Computer/Windows Media with the preset for HD 720p30.

That said, know that you're not going to get great results from this footage in version 9. Version 9 was created back when support for AVCHD was still kind of primitive -- and the program doesn't even include presets for outputting MP4s, which will give you much better looking video than those Windows Media outputs. (You could also create your own custom H.264 Quicktime output, but I've already made this post long enough.)

An upgrade to even version 11 will give you much better results, smoother editing performance and a world better output options!

My thoughts anyway.

• 2. Re: HD export options for Adobe Premiere Elements 9
            MrJoshameeGibbs Level 1

Thank you for your answer!

I actually didn't chose the right set up (AVCHD video). I think I just took the default NTSC DV Standard set up because I didn't know much back then.

I can't consider starting over, I've been spending time on this project for years now.

Somebody on this site suggested me to use the iPod H.264 export settings, with these advanced settings:

To my surprise, the result was almost as good as the original video. Here's a screenshot for example :

AB2.PNG

Of course it isn't full screen, but all I have to do is create a new project (with the right settings this time!) and scale the video to full screen: it works!

Addidtional information: my "movie" is almost two hours long, but I split it in 7 different projects, because my computer would always crash when the project was too big. I intend to take these 7 exported parts and put them together in a new project when I'm finished.

One of the problems is that I shot it with two different cameras, and the videos made with the other camera don't fit the H.264 export settings. Here are the settings of these other type of videos, filmed with a Sony Handycam DCR-DVD508 :

Capture.PNG

Do you have any idea of some advanced export settings that would fit both types of videos, or if not, one for each of them? I could export them seperatly with their correct export setting, and then put them together in another project, scaling them in full screen at the same time.

I know another possibility is editing the notepad of the original projects, to change their original set up. The thing is, I'm not enough experienced (I'm a french-speaker) to understand this: ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Changing Project Settings Without Starting A New Project. If you know about that possibility, is there any way you can help me?

Thank you very much for your help,

MrJoshameeGibbs

• 3. Re: HD export options for Adobe Premiere Elements 9

If your project is set up for DV video and you're editing high-def video in the project, pretty much any output is going to be some sort of compromise.

I can't help you hack the project file. That was a process ATR figured out, and she no longer frequents this forum. You can try it, based on her instructions, but you'll kind of be on your own because I don't know of any other forum members who've done it.

• 5. Re: HD export options for Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                MrJoshameeGibbs Level 1

Maybe I should make this a new question, but I thought you could help me out. I have no idea what happened, but when I export my video with the H.264 export settings I mentioned earlier, it doesn't work anymore... It's really weird actually, it takes like 8 hours to do, but when it's finished, the file is 0 Ko. There's also 3 other files as you can see in this screenshot:

Anot.PNG

The first one is only the sound of my video, and the second one is a black screen. Do you have any idea what's happening?

• 6. Re: HD export options for Adobe Premiere Elements 9

Sorry. The screen capture doesn't give me enough information to know what's going on.

• 7. Re: HD export options for Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                    MrJoshameeGibbs Level 1

Exportation error with Adobe Premiere Elements 9

I made it a new question. If you know what kind of information you need, please tell me.