13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2016 1:16 PM by trshaner

RAW import query..Kindly Help

shekhars15843974

I own a Canon 70 D and have recently started clicking RAW pictures. The problem is when i import them to my Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1 and start to develop them, instead of showing the RAW pictures which should look a little flat as they are not processed it shows me the processed version of them which we usually see in the camera LCD panel right after clicking them. I'd also like to point out that my camera settings are set as only RAW and not also JPEG and while importing i select the .cr2 file which the canon raw format. I work on windows system. My camera settings are synced in. I can't seem to figure out what the issue is. Kindly help.

• 1. Re: RAW import query..Kindly Help
          dj_paige Level 9

Are you 100% sure that you are looking at the .cr2 file in Lightroom?

Have you applied a develop preset at import? (In the Develop Module, look at the History panel on the left, the bottom entry there should say Import, and not Import followed by a Preset name)

Are the sliders for the Basic Panel (not including Temp and Tint) set at zero?

• 2. Re: RAW import query..Kindly Help
            shekhars15843974 Level 1

I just checked and it just says Import (date and time). I'm 100% sure about the file extension as i double checked this issue the first time it happened plus i have set my camera to take only RAW pictures (Large Raw) and no JPEG. Plus there is only one image at the time when i open them in my explorer which is the cr2 extension. When i open my image in Picasa to view it opens in the processed version then in a good second or two reverts back to the flat unprocessed RAW file it should look like.

• 3. Re: RAW import query..Kindly Help
              shekhars15843974 Level 1

But yes all the sliders in the basic panel are set at zero except the Temp and Tint. (In all the images)

• 4. Re: RAW import query..Kindly Help
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Every camera that Lightroom supports has default settings applied to the image when it is imported. If you don't like those settings then you can change them. There is a preset under the Lightroom presets called Zeroed that will set everything to 0. If applying that preset gives you the results you are looking for, just save new camera defaults after applying that preset. Then that is how your images will be imported from then on. Also, if you click the the reset button that is the state the image will be in after the reset.

• 5. Re: RAW import query..Kindly Help
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Besides the toning sliders that are all 0, make sure the Tone Curve is flat and Dehaze down in fx is zeroed.  And you might check the Saturation section of the HSL sliders.

Can you upload one of your raw photos to www.dropbox.com so some of the rest of us can take a look?

Also you should probably be using LR 6.4, the current version, not LR 6.1 in case there is a bug, somewhere.

• 6. Re: RAW import query..Kindly Help
                    shekhars15843974 Level 1

My Tone Curve is flat and i actually am on zeroed preset( I just Checked, applied another preset and then again zeroed) . I've pretty much checked most of the Tabs on develop toolbar,they are all on zero (except for the obvious ones off course.). I can share my RAW image on dropbox and you guys can have a look at it. I am starting to think that i might have some misconceptions about what it should look like. Send me your email.

• 7. Re: RAW import query..Kindly Help
                      shekhars15843974 Level 1

Another thing is that i just opened my images in the Photos app of windows and it looks exactly like my file in Lightroom (the one i'm complaining about). But as i open the same image in Picasa which is my default photo viewer (the one i actually use to view my images) it opened as it did in the photos app but after a second it changes back to a dull version of itself which i am referring to as my RAW file. Again i have only cr2 images. This is getting very confusing.

• 8. Re: RAW import query..Kindly Help
                        ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

In the Camera Calibration panel, which profile do you have applied?

The default is "Adobe Standard", but that may not be what you desire.

• 9. Re: RAW import query..Kindly Help
                          shekhars15843974 Level 1

Its Adobe Standard

• 10. Re: RAW import query..Kindly Help
                            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

When a raw file is opened, most viewers will show you the imbedded preview JPG. This JPG contains all the settings and profiles from your camera and looks like the image on the camera's LCD. After the raw data is interpreted into an image, this "raw" image is then shown to you. This raw image does not contain any of the camera settings and profiles because most third-party software (like Adobe) does not know how to read that data from the raw file.

Some software may show you this "raw" image with no settings applied to it, which may result in a dull image.

Some software may apply its own settings to the image; Adobe does this, by default applying the "Adobe Standard" profile.

Try some of the other profiles to find the one you like.

I use the "neutral" Picture Control in my Nikon cameras and the "camera neutral" profile in LR so that the LCD and LR images look similar to start with.

• 11. Re: RAW import query..Kindly Help
                              shekhars15843974 Level 1

That makes sense, so you mean it is possible that my picasa viewer may not have applied the any settings to the RAW image resulting in a very dull image which i perceived as the RAW file while Adobe Lightroom applied its default settings to the same image resulting in a different look. So actually they are the same files with just different third party software settings applied to them which got me confused to begin with. Right..!!

• 12. Re: RAW import query..Kindly Help
                                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can paste a public share link from dropbox into a message, here, or you can click on our names and send us each a private message with the link it is if you don't want to post the link to a public forum.

• 13. Re: RAW import query..Kindly Help
                                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

shekhars15843974 wrote:

So actually they are the same files with just different third party software settings applied to them which got me confused to begin with. Right..!!

Depending on the in-camera Picture Style settings you used the JPEG and Camera Raw image files may look near identical inside LR with the "default" Develop settings (i.e. Adobe Standard Camera Profile & no adjustments). Run  a test without changing any of the in-camera settings you used to shoot the Raw image files. Set the camera to shoot full size raw + highest-quality JPEG and shoot similar subjects as the raw files. Now import both the raw + JPEG into LR and compare them. You'll need to change your LR Preferences so that 'Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos' is checked: