5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2016 9:53 AM by LoriLM

Reader for iPad shows dropdown text below field

LoriLM

I've created a form using InDesign CC (2015) and it works great in both Acrobat and Reader on desktop. When using iPad, the dropdown list (created using a Combo Box) shows all 5 of the list items below the field (all on top of the other).

iPad screenshot.png

Any ideas why this may be happening are greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Reader for iPad shows dropdown text below field
          MobileDeveloperCK Adobe Employee

Hi,

Would you please share your PDF form with us (Adobe) so that we can determine the cause of the problem with the dropdown list?

I have sent you a forum private message with the instructions on how to share your file with us.

Thank you for your help!

• 2. Re: Reader for iPad shows dropdown text below field

Hi,

We received your PDF form via email.  Thank you very much!

At first glance, it appears to be a rendering problem with a dropdown list with no initial value.  Once you select a value and commit the change, the rendering problem goes away.

We will investigate further and keep you posted on the status.

Thank you again for your help.

• 3. Re: Reader for iPad shows dropdown text below field
              LoriLM Level 1

Thank you for your reply. As instructed, I've created an initial value but the error still occurs. The form is created using InDesign CC (2015) and my goal is to not make edits in Acrobat. I have found that if I commit the initial value in Acrobat (as opposed to InDesign) the form renders correctly in Reader on iPad. Again, my goal is to have no edits made in Acrobat.

Please let me know if you have any other scenarios to try. Thanks again for your help!

iPad screenshot 2.png

• 4. Re: Reader for iPad shows dropdown text below field

Hi LoriLM,

I am sorry that I wasn't very clear.  Here are the steps.

1. Open the PDF form in Acrobat Reader for iOS on your iPad.
                2. Go to the second page.
                3. Tap a dropdown list what exhibits the rendering problem (as shown in the screenshot you posted above).
                4. Select a value (e.g. "Anterior", "Center").
                5. Select the blank value (the first item in your dropdown list).

You can tap the "< Back" button in the upper left corner to close the PDF document.  The changes you've made will be saved automatically.

IMG_0470.PNG

Above is a temporary workaround to fix the rendering problem (one dropdown list at a time).

Alternatively, if you have the desktop version of Acrobat Pro (not Reader) DC app, you can open the PDF form and "Clear Form" (Edit > Form Options > Clear Form).

The rendering problem is caused by a defect in Acrobat Reader for iOS.  We are still trying to investigate and fix it for a future release of Acrobat Reader for iOS.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

• 5. Re: Reader for iPad shows dropdown text below field
                  LoriLM Level 1

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your feedback and workaround. I will opt to use the workaround I posted at 6:43am today and look forward to hearing the issue has been corrected in the app.  Thanks again!