21 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2017 2:50 AM by mehmetAliDemir

zoom is reversed

Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I like that I can use pinch gestures to zoom the canvas, but if I wanted to use the mouse wheel alternative, it works the opposite of Photoshop and Illustrator. In those two programs you can Option-mousehweel to zoom in and out, and it honors the natural scrolling in OS X. XD has the zooming in the opposite direction, Option drag downwards scales the view smaller, instead of larger.

• 1. Re: zoom is reversed
          jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your report. I'll log an issue for this.

Regards,

Joe

• 2. Re: zoom is reversed
            CoreyRLucier Adobe Employee

Actually Colin this is by design.

With the advent of OSX 10.7 and the default scroll direction change (to natural) many apps that interpret mouse wheel for zoom just followed suit.

It's our opinion that what might be natural for scrolling might not be intuitive for zoom.  We sort of intentionally strayed from Photoshop and AI and went with the something more akin to the native OSX accessibility mouse zoom feature.  Other "native" OSX applications interpret mouse wheel for zoom in this manner as well.

It seems more intuitive (or "natural") if you will to interpret scrolling the mouse wheel toward the monitor as zooming in, and scrolling it away from the monitor as zooming out.  Much as the up on the mousewheel and down on the mousewheel map most naturally to up and down in a document for scrolling.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: zoom is reversed

Thanks for the reply. I have a similar problem with Starry Night, the desktop planetarium program. They allow natural scrolling on Windows but not in OS X, which is crazy!

An argument is that you are mouse wheeling a virtual camera, and so pulling back the camera should make things go smaller. The beauty of natural scrolling is that you're manipulating the content, not the camera, and so you want to pull it towards you. On touch devices you pinch outwards, to make it grow, it would be strange if it shrunk. With all of OS X being based on manipulating the content (other than Starry Night), XD stands out as being wrong.

Someone who agrees with your thinking has probably already changed system preferences to work that way, and so for them too, XD will be the only program that works the opposite way that they want.

• 4. Re: zoom is reversed

Well, again we take the "viewport/camera" model like Sketch for instance. Where moving mousewheel toward the viewport implies that you are moving the camera toward the content.  Definitely see your perspective though.

At a minimum it seems you'd at least appreciate a configuration option to flip the default behavior? 

Thanks for starting the discussion!

• 5. Re: zoom is reversed

Yes, an option would be nice, but meanwhile, well done for being as bad as Sketch! Interesting though that I hadn't noticed the reversal in Sketch.

Flinto and MarvelApp don't have the same issue, being as you're in a browser window, and can't mousewheel zoom at all.

BTW, I won't be affected by this too much, I use trackpad, and can just use pinch.

• 6. Re: zoom is reversed

I realized I misspoke. Starry Night zooms correctly, it's SketchUp that has it reversed, with no option to change that, except in the Windows version.

• 7. Re: zoom is reversed
                      Ben-Dedrick Level 1

If I can add to this, the first thing I did upon opening the program was hold Space to pan the camera, then hit Z to zoom in... only to learn that Z doesn't actually do anything here.

Can I assume that an actual magnifying glass shortcut is being added? I'm not a fan of alt+scroll to zoom, and it's especially egregious that it doesn't snap to integers when you use that technique.

• 8. Re: zoom is reversed

Zooming to floating point is silky smooth, but perhaps holding the shift key could be a way to make it go to integers?

• 9. Re: zoom is reversed
                          Ben-Dedrick Level 1

I'd have to see it in motion to be sure, but I suspect that snapping wheel scroll to 1% increments (with shift maybe snapping to larger, but more common view increments) would still feel fine. Can't think of many cases where I'd want to view something at, say, 50.5% zoom.

That said, it's all secondary to me: what I really need is for Z and alt+Z to work just like in Photoshop!

• 10. Re: zoom is reversed

All ways of working is a good thing, but with Z in Photoshop you then have to drag. I can't remember the last time I used Z, when I can Option mouse wheel while in any tool.

• 11. Re: zoom is reversed
                              Ben-Dedrick Level 1

You do not have to drag. Holding Z, clicking (however many times you want), then releasing Z zooms in to the next major increment and automatically switches back to the tool you had selected before zooming. This therefore works with any tool selected.

Likewise for Sketch, OmniGraffle, et al.

This is because I don't generally care to see things at 68.7%, 51.2%, or what have you, where subpixel rendering and antialiasing will more heavily distort what I'm seeing; I want to see 200%, 100%, 75%, 50%, etc.

• 12. Re: zoom is reversed

I'm not against integers, and hate it when my designer colleagues give me something that is 123.456 pixels wide!

I am curious about the Z key though. In both Photoshop and Sketch I have to do a drag action to get any sort of zoom. Is it a Windows only feature to not have to click in order to zoom?

Oh, I just realized what you wrote. Z click does zoom ok. I tend to use Command-+ or - to do that, which also works in Photoshop and XD, and does stop off at exact integers.

• 13. Re: zoom is reversed
                                  Ben-Dedrick Level 1

Yeah; the reason I found it easy to get used to Z+click is that it's less disruptive to the process of whatever I'm working on. I don't have to take my hand off the mouse (for a shortcut like Cmd +), I don't have to click a small UI target to get a major zoom increment (like 50%), and I don't have to change tools in any permanent way (because it changes back after I let go of Z).

• 14. Re: zoom is reversed

Sometimes I think we right handed people have an unfair advantage!

• 15. Re: zoom is reversed

Hi Ben, a zoom tool (and all the associated behaviors and shortcuts) will be added for sure!

• 16. Re: zoom is reversed
                                        curtisb91434797 Level 1

I disagree with this decision. Not only because the scroll-to-zoom directions are opposite what other desktop apps use, but also because the scroll-to-zoom directions in map software is opposite Experience Design's.

For example, when using Google Maps, you scroll down to zoom out, and up to zoom in. With regards natural scrolling, I interpreted this as pulling the map toward me or pushing it away from me.

• 17. Re: zoom is reversed

Apple's CTRL-mousewheel zoom is one in the same as XD's. (Settings->Accessibility->use scroll gesture with Control to Zoom).

Best case scenario I suppose is to expose a simple preference as 'to each is own'.

• 18. Re: zoom is reversed

It is true that screen zoom is incorrect. Not sure why Apple don't fix

that.

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 4:32 PM CoreyRLucier <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 19. Re: zoom is reversed

We have many users coming over from competing products like Sketch which also defaults to the same zoom direction, FWIW.

• 20. Re: zoom is reversed

I hadn't thought to use mousewheel in Sketch, I just pinch to zoom. But yes, command-mousewheel is opposite to normal macOS. But maybe you should match Adobe products? Animate is command-mousewheel natural scolling, and Photoshop and Illustrator are option-mousewheel natural scrolling.

It doesn't really affect me, I use a trackpad, but I know from several years of convincing the SketchUp team to fix the same problem that users do seem to like either natural scrolling, or at least to have a choice (which is what the SketchUp team did in their most recent update).

1 person found this helpful
                                                • 21. Re: zoom is reversed
                                                  mehmetAliDemir Level 1

Guys i fixed the problem by resetting settings.

Edit > Preferences > General (Or simply Ctrl + K)

Press the button on the bottom right "Reset Preferences on Quit".

It will ask on dialog  select OK and restart PS.

This worked for me.