12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2016 3:47 AM by D Fosse

lightroom exporting color

bethh22722671

Help!  I can't figure out why my colors are so off from what I view in Lightroom to what shows up in another viewer window after exporting?  It's softer focus and the colors are very different, even posting the screenshot in here looks different from what I just shot on my screen.  Any ideas?

2016-03-14 (1).png

• 1. Re: lightroom exporting color
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi bethh,

You should export with sRGB color profile from Lightroom and make sure your monitor color profile is calibrated : How do I change my monitor profile to check whether it’s corrupted?

Regards,

Chetna

• 2. Re: lightroom exporting color
            bethh22722671 Level 1

Okay so I just followed the steps you listed above and I'm still seeing the same issue....should I be shutting down and computer and restarting so these changes take effect or something? 

• 3. Re: lightroom exporting color
              Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Yes, please try that and again export the image from Lightroom with color profile as sRGB and then, compare.

• 4. Re: lightroom exporting color
                bethh22722671 Level 1

Brilliant genius!  Thank you SO much.  Completely solved the problem!!!  Of course, I now realize how "off" the lightroom colors were and need to re edit everything, but at least they'll be more accurate now.  Thanks!!

• 5. Re: lightroom exporting color
                  JoeKostoss Level 4

You do not need to re-edit, simply re-export in the sRGB color profile.

• 6. Re: lightroom exporting color
                    Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Joe is right, do not re-edit.

Lightroom is color managed, and displays the image correctly.

The Windows 10 Photos app is not color managed, and will not display the image correctly unless it has the sRGB profile..

So use sRGB for all your exports, unless someone specifically has told you to use a different profile.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: lightroom exporting color
                      D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This looks like a wide gamut monitor to me, with the usual implications that only fully color managed applications will ever display correctly.

What monitor is this, beth, make and model?

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: lightroom exporting color
                        bethh22722671 Level 1

Okay, so I re-export in sRGB, but then when I print the same file, colors are again off.  I understand every lab is different, my home printers would also be different....but is there any sort of consistency I could expect or would most people not notice the subtle nuance of "yes, your head looks purple" (or whatever shade it happens to print) that I notice because I've stared at an accurate color on lightroom.  Does that make sense?

Is this where I need to invest and learn about the color calibration softwares?

• 9. Re: lightroom exporting color
                          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional
                          Is this where I need to invest and learn about the color calibration softwares?

It's always a good idea to have a calibrated monitor. Calibration with a hardware calibrator creates a monitor profile that accurately describes your monitor. Color managed software (like Lightroom and Photoshop) use the monitor profile to display your images correctly, provided that the profile is correct, If your photos look different in Lightroom after calibrating - this is when you have to re-edit them.

With a correct monitor profile you can trust that your photos display true colors in Lightroom, but most other software, like anything built into Windows 10 will show you more or less wrong colors.

This is particularly true if you have a wide gamut monitor, as suggested by D Fosse above.

The screenshot you posted initially shows what would typically happen when viewing an image on a wide gamut monitor in the Photos app.

So did exporting in sRGB make it display the same as Lightroom?

If it did, you don't have a wide gamut monitor, but I would then question the quality of the monitor profile, and definitely calibrate.

Wrong colors in prints could be another indicator of a bad monitor profile.

So calibration is also likely to solve your printing problems.

• 10. Re: lightroom exporting color
                            bethh22722671 Level 1

The monitor is a Dell U2413...I believe it IS a wide gamut.  Correct me if I'm wrong!

• 11. Re: lightroom exporting color

Yes, as I thought.

This is normal and how these monitors work. You need to use color managed applications, and a good display profile for these applications to use. That's one made by a calibrator, although factory profiles are slightly better than nothing.

Anything that isn't color managed, such as Windows 10 "Photos", will always display sRGB material oversaturated.

If you have to use non-color managed software, just ignore the oversaturation. It's not how others with standard displays will see it.

I've said for a long time that vendors should really start to inform their customers better about the implications of wide gamut. But maybe they would sell fewer of them that way...

• 12. Re: lightroom exporting color

bethh22722671 wrote:

Brilliant genius!  Thank you SO much.  Completely solved the problem!!!  Of course, I now realize how "off" the lightroom colors were and need to re edit everything, but at least they'll be more accurate now.  Thanks!!

Just picking up on this again to point out that it's the other way round...it's extremely important that you understand this.

It's an interesting phenomenon that people in this situation always trust the standard image viewers over sophisticated image editors like Lightroom and Photoshop. That's where most of the confusion comes from. I've no idea why that is - possibly because of some idea that these viewers don't "mess" with the photo.

Well, the thing is, with a wide gamut monitor the photo needs to be messed with to display correctly. Color management is an absolute requirement with these units, no exceptions.