3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2006 9:18 AM by kevmedia.com

Suggestions on project please.

Level 7
      I am doing a project for a friend of mine. I do not have any experience
      with video in Flash but have been picking my through it today. My question
      is how you would recommend I do this.

The final flash movie will consist of an SWF, and XML file and a whole bunch
      of movies (converted to SWFs or FLVs *part of the question) and some photos.
      The SWF will start, load the XML file and start playing the movies in order.
      When one completes I want to load the next, so on and so forth. This will
      run on the machine locally and call all files locally (no web).

So, first, I have Sorenson Squeeze and Sothink FlashVideo Encoder and can
      convert to either SWF or FLV, which is better to use here? Also, what
      component (if I use one) is suggested? I want something that has a built in
      event broadcast and event handler when the video completes so I can load the
      next video. After all of the videos play through (say 15, 1 minute movies)
      the SWF will start over again with #1.

Hopefully this will loop all day without any restarts. Since I don't have
      any video experience I would really appreciate some suggestions.

Amy

• 1. Re: Suggestions on project please.
          Level 7

> Hopefully this will loop all day without any restarts. Since I don't have
          > any video experience I would really appreciate some suggestions.
          >

I mostly want suggestions on using an empty movie clip to load SWFs or
          if I should use a Media Component to load FLVs.

And what about VideoPlayer, I found FLVPlayback which is just a
          wrapper for VideoPlayer. The VideoPlayer class has an addEventListener()
          method, load(), play() and setSiz(), is that any good to use? Would I just
          import and access the class directly, since I don't see a component...

Thanks, sorry so clueless on this.

Amy

• 2. Re: Suggestions on project please.
            flextnet Level 1
            Let me preface this response by saying that i'm not a video expert, and i would hope others chime in here...

but i know FLV's are good for streaming over an internet connection, and since you're running it locally you may want to consider plain old swf video for the ease of use factor... you don't have to mess with the media playback component (or any such superfluosness), you can just use 'loadMovie' and treat them like any other movie in flash. You can detect when the video is finished playing with some code like this (assume loadedMC holds the video that's playing)

onEnterFrame = function()
            {
            if (loadedMC._currentframe >= loadedMC._totalframes)
            {
            // movie is done- notify
            }
            }
            • 3. Re: Suggestions on project please.
              kevmedia.com
              gotoandlearn.com has a tutorial on using a xml file to make a set of flv's play. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but it'll take you about 80% of the way. Good luck!