1 2 Previous Next 52 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2016 8:52 AM by Boscome

60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?

Boscome

I installed Lightroom 6 then "added" my pics from internal HD to My Catalog. I had 60 gigs of space on my hard drive when I started the "import" and soon 60 Gb gone as I got a msg to add more pics free up space. Why??? I can't find a folder of duplicated pics so how/why did it take up 60 Gb of space?

• 1. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi boscome ,

From where did you imported the images?

What was the destination set to?

Did you selected Make a second Copy while importing?

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
            dj_paige Level 9

How big were the photos you imported? How many of them did you import?

Search for your catalog file, it's name ends with .LRCAT, how big is that? How big is the associated preview folder, it's named ends with Previews.LRDATA?

• 3. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
              Boscome Level 1

Hi, Thanks for responding, Again the they were From my internal drive TO  my catalog in Lightroom. So it was my understanding that nothing was actually copied or transferred as in from one drive to another but just added to Lightoom's catalog so it could see the pictures. I did not select anything such as make a second copy. Just hit the import button. Source was C drive Pictures folder and ADD was highlighted. Jim

• 4. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                dj_paige Level 9

Well, that doesn't answer my questions.

However, when you import via the ADD option (which is what you say you did), your catalog file will enlarge and previews are still created and take up disk space. While 60 gigs seems like an awful lot, since you didn't answer my questions, I can't comment further.

• 5. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

While 60 GB seems like a lot of space, it really is relative. What is the total capacity of that internal hard drive?

• 6. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                    Boscome Level 1

Hi and thanks for responding. The photos ranged from a few Kb's to 12 Mb's. Mostly 2 to 6 Mb's. It had added almost 25,000 pics when my 1 terabyte drive filled up the last 60 gigs I had on it.

I first tried uninstalling Lightroom hoping it would delete its folders and give me back my 60 gigs but it did not. I found the .lrcat and .lrdata folders still there as I recall. They had just Mb's worth of info in them One maybe had about 500mb's.

I deleted them with the delete process saying it was removing over 15,000 files etc. I ended up going from 7mb to 2.5g. My 1 Tb HD now has 1G of space on it after reinstalling Lightroom.

• 7. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                      Boscome Level 1

Hi and I was responding to Akash. In reading his question u should see that my answer is a response to him. I just answered ur questions. Thank U, Jim

• 8. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                        Boscome Level 1

I have a terabyte HD. Thank u, Jim

• 9. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?

You need to understand your images are not "in" Lightroom. They are in folders on your hard drive. And when you chose to delete those images they have been removed. In other words, they are gone. 1 GB free on a 1 TB drive Is nothing. Your hard drive is full. A hard drive needs to have at least 20% free disk space in order to function properly. In other words, you need at least 200 GB free in order for that drive to function. And even then, you would be pushing the limit.

• 10. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Sounds like you selected Copy instead of the Add option in the import dialog window. Which would of copied the images making duplicates of them. which would use up more more space on your hard drives than just Adding them to the LR catalog.

• 11. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                              Boscome Level 1

Hi and I totally understand. I agree they are not IN lightroom so why did lightroom use up 60 gigs when I asked it to "see" the pics in My Catalog within lightroom.

I totally understand that 1 gig is nothing, my HD is full. Why do u think I am pissed off after installing and losing 60gigs of space. Why do u think I created and raised the question of where the heck did my last 60 gigs go when I need 20% as u say to run.

Jiim

• 12. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                                Boscome Level 1

Hi and yes sounds like it copied but no I ADDED. If it did copy where is the folder they copied to so I can delete them. I did a search in Win8 of a few Images and it only finds one copy of each.

Thanks Jim

• 13. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?

How many images did you import? How large are the images? What preview size are you using? I agree, losing 60 GB seems a little extreme.

• 14. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                                    Boscome Level 1

Jim my Answer to dj_paige above is "The photos ranged from a few Kb's to 12 Mb's. Mostly 2 to 6 Mb's. It had added almost 25,000 pics when my 1 terabyte drive filled up the last 60 gigs I had on it."

As far as preview size it is set at the default of minimal.

• 15. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?

In the folder that contains your catalog, there is another folder with the extension lrdata. Check the properties of that folder, and Tell us how large that folder is.

• 16. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                                        Boscome Level 1

Most of the rest of my reply to dj_paige from above is.."I first tried uninstalling Lightroom hoping it would delete its folders and give me back my 60 gigs but it did not. I found the .lrcat and .lrdata folders still there as I recall. They had just Mb's worth of info in them One maybe had about 500mb's. I deleted them with the delete process saying it was removing over 15,000 files etc.

After reinstalling Lightroom Sunday night I "imported" and "added" only one folder with about 2000 pics in it. The .lrdata folder is 148kb and the .lrcrt is 1.41mb

Jim

• 17. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?

At this point, I can only guess. When you imported those images I wonder if it's possible that your operating system took the rest of the space knowing it would be needed for the scratch disk. As I indicated previously, 60 GB isn't a lot of free disk space. You might want to consider an external hard drive and move all of your images onto it.

• 18. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                                            Boscome Level 1

I have all the pics backed up on an external HD. So now I need a backup to the backup...lol.

Lightroom seems to do a great job of editing but for me Adobe needs to make a combo of Lightroom and Elements programs. In Lightroom I miss the undo and redo buttons that elements has. Yes I know I can o a control z and control y butt....

And after editing there is no quick way to save or save as like in Elements. I now have to Export the photo...So now I need Another HD to export my 172gigs of pics after I edit them. Seems I need 2 or 3 HD to run this Lightroom program. :-(

• 19. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                                              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What operating system are you using and have you tried defragmenting the internal drive? On a 1TB drive (~1,000 GB) 60 GB is only 6% (or less) of the total drive space! It is generally recommended that you maintain at least 15% free disk space. With only 6% free disk space it may be impossible to defragment the drive.

• 20. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                                                Boscome Level 1

On the other hand 60gigs is a lot of space for a "scratch pad" for 172 gigs of photos that was originally being "added". Where is this so called scratch pad within Win8? Is there a Temp folder somewhere?

• 21. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?

Boscome wrote:

And after editing there is no quick way to save or save as like in Elements. I now have to Export the photo...So now I need Another HD to export my 172gigs of pics after I edit them. Seems I need 2 or 3 HD to run this Lightroom program. :-(

I realize we're getting a little off-track here. But why do you need to export a copy just to have a copy? I use Lightroom to browse my images. I only have copies of images that I send to Photoshop. If I need a copy for e-mail or to send to someone I will export a copy to use for that purpose. Then I delete it. In my opinion, there is no need to export "finished" copies of images because they are always available in Photoshop. Just a thought.

• 22. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                                                    Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think even though you say Add was selected Copy has been active.

What is your OS, is the Lightroom folder in the default location of Pictures and what folder/s are the image files in??

Trying to establish where things are on your disk so we can check for duplicate files.

A screen shot or two of the above would be great...

• 23. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                                                      Boscome Level 1

Geoff I am on a laptop with Win8. I did a new installation of Lightroom Sunday. I did my first import and when one clicks on import it is in the the ADD mode, for me anyways.So how was Copy also active???

I selected the source, the Pictures folder on C drive, and added to My Catalog. What do u want a screen shot of?

Thanks Jim

• 24. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                                                        Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Did you select to make Smart Preview? That is the only thing I can come up with why 60GBs of space got used.

Smart Previews are reduced size image files that allows you to work on images when those images are not on a drive connected directly to the computer. Like you have all your images on an external drive but don't want to have it connected all the time. Smart Previews allows you to Edit those images and when you reconnect the external it updates the image file, in the case of DNG, JPG, TIF files or updates the XMP sidecar file if you have Auto write changes to XMP enabled and updates the metadata of the file.

If you have all your images on the internal drive of the notebook there is no reason to have Smart Preview enabled. All it does is take up HDD space.

• 25. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?

I have a Catalog with 65k images and the size of the catalog plus previews is 187GB. Now the size is dependent on previews as mentioned earlier. Did you have Smart Previews also selected and do you know the size of the previews from Catalog Settings??

I would suggest searching the computer for files ending in .lrcat and previews.lrdata. Are there any??

Usually when a disk fills up it is because files have been copied somehow... I'm just trying to see what has happened.

BTW, 60GB of 1TB is not really a practical amount of spare space, you ought to have 20-25% spare. So I would recommend getting an external drive for your image files.

• 26. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                                                            DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Quote "On the other hand 60gigs is a lot of space for a "scratch pad" for 172 gigs of photos that was originally being "added". Where is this so called scratch pad within Win8? Is there a Temp folder somewhere?"

This is your issue you simply cannot continue to run your system with 60GB of free space on a HDD of 1 TB.

This is not a Lightroom problem your operating system is choking on the limited space on the drive for it to operate properly. Continuing to stress the drive and could possibly cause the drive to fail and crash.

My advice would be to close all applications and use your operating system to move files from your HDD to another drive. When moving files do so a few GB at a time until there is more free space available. As Jim advised you need at least 20% or 200GB of free space for the system to operate efficiently. Think about it if you try to move 50 GB of files with only 60 GB of space available what would expect to happen.

e.g Files are written to the drive wherever there is space available, if there is not available space in a free sector the file will be split across several sectors, in addition with only 6% 0f the drive available the OS will be hunting to find space to save the file.  

• 27. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?

It really has nothing to do with the amount of photos that you have on your hard drive. It has everything to do with having enough space available to function as it should. You need to add an additional hard drive.

• 28. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                                                                Boscome Level 1

To the last 3 replies...Geoff, DdeGannes and Jim...I know 60gigs is not much room shame on me for continuing to operate it this way. I was at 90 gigs last week and was using Elements to Cyberlink Photo Director to edit pics and soon found my drive to be down to 60gigs. I took a 4 day class at close community college on using Lightroom and decided to buy it. Installed it Sunday and here we are.

I will at this point move all the pics to another external drive like as suggested. I had about 100 pics yet to edit out of 2000 from one folder I wanted to finish and was then going to create more room on the drive.

But will move them first as I know the 1.5 gig I currently have isn't a good situation to be in. It seemed lightroom took away the 60gigs and I was hoping there was a quick way to get it back as some have suggested

it seems copy mode was also running so where did it copy them to. It really seems that they were copied but I can not find any duplicates.

So maybe it is a windows problem and my error in not enough space to start with.

Thanks for the help, suggestions from all.

Jim

• 29. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                                                                  Boscome Level 1

I thought that by "ADDing" withing the HD Lightroom was only writing shortcuts if u will to the pics not actually making copies of them so did not think it would need any wheres near 60gigs of space to create the links to the pics.

But yes I will agree with all that 60gigs is not enough space to run a TB drive. Was hoping to get away with it for another 100 edits is all. Well I'm down for a day or 2 to make room on the drive.

Bonnie Raitt concert tomorrow so hopefully more pics to edit. Got to get this puter ready.

Jim

• 30. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?

Yes, it seems to be a combination of things possibly but definitely the lack of space is the killer.

Maybe there were no copies being made and it shouldn't be Previews either as they are not rendered until after an import is finished...

A tip.... when you COPY the files to another disk... (copy them until you have verified they are all moved ok and backed up before deleting the originals) is to place all of the folders containing your images into one top level folder. This makes moving or reconnecting with Lightroom so much easier.

You can see in this example on my 4 Uganda 2015 Drive I have all the images in Dated Folders but all inside the 2015 Uganda Files Folder. So if I have to reconnect Lightroom to say a back up drive I only need to reconnect the 2025 Uganda Files folder and all the contained folders will be reconnected as well.

Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 12.23.12 PM.png

• 31. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?

Re-reading this reply:

Boscome wrote:

I first tried uninstalling Lightroom hoping it would delete its folders and give me back my 60 gigs but it did not. I found the .lrcat and .lrdata folders still there as I recall. They had just Mb's worth of info in them One maybe had about 500mb's.

I deleted them with the delete process saying it was removing over 15,000 files etc. I ended up going from 7mb to 2.5g. My 1 Tb HD now has 1G of space on it after reinstalling Lightroom.

At the risk of stating the obvious....did you empty the Windows Recycle bin? I'd also close all applications and delete the contents of the Temporary folder:

What Is in the TEMP Folder in Windows 8? - Apps - Windows 8

Now empty the Recycle bin:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/permanently-delete-files-recycle-bin#1TC=window s-7

Do you now have your 60GB's back? If not it's time to find out why using Windows Explorer! What is taking up all of that space...videos, other media, what?

The SSD C: drive on my system contains only the Windows 7 OS and a slew of applications, which adds up to 115 GB. Add in your 172 GB of Pictures and that's ~287 GB. What's taking up the remaining ~700 GB on that drive? Even after you move the picture files to an external drive I suggest finding out what's using up the storage space on your C: drive. 

• 32. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                                                                        Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you select to make Smart Preview? That is the only thing I can come up with why 60GBs of space got used.

I did not see you answer this question but if you really are sure you had add selected, the only way you can create 60 GB of files for 25k images is if you selected smart previews and/or 1:1 previews. Both can add up. That is about 2.5MB per image which is about right for a smart preview. Standard previews (what you should select) are more like a few 100k per image. As Shootist said, you don't need smart previews if the files are on your local hard drive.

To check if you really didn't copy, you can see where your files are by right clicking on one in Lightroom and choosing "show in explorer".

This is not how Lightroom works. You do not "save". It is a nondestructive workflow, which means you never overwrite your originals (think of them as your negatives). You only need to export when you need a copy of your image with all edits applied and when you uploaded this, emailed them, or did whatever you needed to do, you delete the exported copy. All you keep is your original and the edits inside Lightroom. No need to keep the exports around as you can easily recreate them. As an example, I run a 100k image catalog from the 250GB SSD internal hard drive in my laptop. I archive older images to a big RAID array that I only really connect when I need to edit older pictures. So I can see them in my catalog and search them even if the RAID is not connected. My current images, the catalog and the preview database take up maybe 100 GB in total so there is ample space for the OS and other software even with such a small SSD.

• 33. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                                                                          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A couple things to try:

ONE - Clear your LR video cache:  LR / Edit / Preferences / Video Cache Settings / Purge Cache - The reason for this is that whenever you have LR open on a folder while you’re working your way down to the ultimate folder to Import from, LR will cache any video files it sees even if you don’t import them.  This can use up many gigs of space for no reason.  Adobe keeps fixing things more and more in this regard but it still is wasteful.

TWO - Download, install and run the Glary Utilities Disk Cleaner program.  You don’t need to use the full suite, especially don’t use the registry cleaner as it’ll mess things up, nor do you need to pay for anything, just run the DiskCleaner app and let it find things to get rid of:  http://www.glarysoft.com/disk-cleaner/

• 34. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                                                                            Boscome Level 1

1st For those who have asked about smart preview settings. I believe I answered this earlier with Jim I think. I said I did not set those up and build previews is set to minimal in the file handling section right side panel.

All I did was install the program Sunday afternoon. Cick the import button and it is in the ADD mode. I selected the source of C drive and Pictures folder to go to My Catalog. That is all I did. Meaning I did not change any settings.

Everything was in its default settings. In doing the "import" it "Added videos.

SO BINGO with ssprengel suggesting to clear the video cache I did this and even tho it shows to allow 3gigs I then checked my C drive and I am now back to 60gigs of HD space.

So thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I am still gonna free up more space.

A BIG THANKS to ssprengel.

Jim

• 35. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?

Oh my the annoying video cache bug strikes again. Adobe keeps fixing this and then breaking it again in the next version.

• 36. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                                                                                Boscome Level 1

To trshaner. Yes earlier today I checked and cleared about 240Mb out of the temp folder in Windows. No help though it needed to be done.

Thanks Jim

• 37. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?
                                                                                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This video bug has never been fixed since it occurred.  It has only gotten slightly less worse. 

It used to be that all the all subfolders under whatever folders you clicked on while navigating to the import folder would be scanned and any videos found would be pre-cached in the LR video cache, but be off-limits to purging within LR, so you’d have to delete the cached files manually.

More recently Adobe removed the scanning of all subfolders from each folder you clicked on, but they still pre-cached all the files in the folders you clicked on.   It also looks like the video purging will now delete these pre-cached video files along with the cache files that are created in LR as you work with imported videos.

We’ll see what happens with the next dot release.

• 38. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?

So you're saying even with the "default" LR settings as below the Video Cache can inflate to 60 GB or more?

said:

"BINGO with ssprengel suggesting to clear the video cache I did this and even tho it shows to allow 3gigs I then checked my C drive and I am now back to 60gigs of HD space."

• 39. Re: 60 gigs of HD space gone during first import. Why?

Yeah it is a really unpleasant bug if you import from folders with lots of video: The setting gets ignored completely.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-6-2-1-video-cache-is-out- of-conttrol-major-bug-report

Media Cache Files folder is out of control

There was a partial fix in 6.4/2015.4 but it still happens to people that their hard disk gets filled up with cache files.

1 2 Previous Next