12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2016 4:46 AM by Digiplay

photoshop and Lightroom surface pro 3 optimization?

Digiplay Level 1

Given the surface pro 3 is using a quite pathetic Intel 5000 gpu which robs ram from the system, runs 114f  earn running Windows update which means the processor retards under any real load, and generally is a gigantic piece of junk. I wonder if anyone has input on performance : specifically when unchecking the use gpu preference in Lightroom Or other pointers to optimize Lightroom to at least limp by for another year or two.  I followed some online articles regarding photoshop performance but they weren't specific to the surface pro 3- perhaps I missed a golden one you've seen Specific to this hardware?

With just the catalog open in the organize screen stock install and no other apps running save a couple of low impact system programs I use about 4 gigs of ram.  WIth photoshop we can optimize all sorts of settings like tile size, the amount of system resources to allocate, etc, but the only Lightroom option is to check or uncheck use gpu.  I don't see ram as an issue right now - but I can if needed squeeze more available.  I don't need any general Windows optimization tips - thank you - I'm intimately familiar with the devil save the pen. It's the Adobe side I wonder if I can improve.

Butilizing 1:1 previews is pretty tiime consuming on this machine - but I'm finalizing the whole library - as I want to link with the iPad so I can cull in a hassle free environment and quickly share a few things to iOS apps. 

if we choose to create smart previews for all imported photos what should the other preview settings be set to? It's my understanding that with smart previews enabled we may as well use the lowest quality preview settings and that 1:! Are no longer generated by default, so we can set those to delete after a day (since they're never really made anyway) is this correct?

Maybe there's more than just selecting smart previews and optimizing catalogs? I'm also curious what sort of image count or file size you like to limit catalogs to.  I don't organize by date, but by project - and if the project is very large it gets its own catalog - but my personal stuff is mostly in one - after brutal culling though I'm pretty convinced my counts and file size arent't an issue.

how can we customize pen function inside Adobe apps? Or it just is what it is? Also has anyone found a tweak to make perfect photo plugins work on Windows with integrated graphics? Despite the exact same hardware as several support Mac configurations they refuse to write the appropriate sofware optimizations for Windows - maybe there's a tweak? I'd love to buy another suite but there's nothing like it I can find for under $1000 - I'm open to suggestions.  While most functions can be replicated in Lightroom or photoshop it is a huge time save for me

THank you for reading And Any help - I'm sorry my frustration bled through here, the whole surface experience has been literally the worst computer purchase I've ever made.

• 2. Re: photoshop and Lightroom surface pro 3 optimization?
          Digiplay Level 1

why would you I've this to photoshop general discussion when 90% of it is about Lightroom

• 3. Re: photoshop and Lightroom surface pro 3 optimization?
            Digiplay Level 1

in face aside from a discussions n about generally setting the pen it's all about Lightroom. If anything I should change the title but I can't see how

• 6. Re: photoshop and Lightroom surface pro 3 optimization?
              Digiplay Level 1

sso I called support and basically asked about exactly what the article says - which is that 1:1 preview generation being done up front should greatly reduce the amount of time when jumping between files and hey said that was false.

basically what  they said was that when a smart preview is checked 1:1 previews are no longer built like that.

SO what I need to know is if I have smart preview selected , and if drive space isn't an issue, should instill be choosing to make 1:1 previews?

I Can't get a straight answer on this. At all. Nonce adobe introduced smart previews it seemed as if the 1:1!setting at least matters less but I just don't know

phone support seemed to disagree theybsaidninshpule

be checking smart preview and minimal for the best performance grind very clear the language barrier was a huge issue. And thisnisnsimetuing Adobe needs to consider.   In all regions having support in native language speakers is essential

tthanks for the links - I'd read the one before I bought. as to the issue of selecting the best option for preview size it still seems vague.

• 7. Re: photoshop and Lightroom surface pro 3 optimization?
                Digiplay Level 1

aalso the last article which is he only one of value (the other two are not appropriate to send users to for technical answers they're just opinion pieces) is contradictory.  It says if you generate 1:2 then things are all ready but then right after it says set them as small as possible.

SO which is it. Assuming we're using smart previews then is it best to set Gil previews by selecting smart , 1:1, full size

Or is it best to just select smart and minimal ?

ADobe teally needs needs to be meow clear on this. Particularly how smart previews effect the selection of other preview settings. 

IM going to assume the only change with smart previews is they are editable.  The problem

is Adobe doesn't say if smart previews by default are camera raw renders at full size of the raw files.

• 8. Re: photoshop and Lightroom surface pro 3 optimization?
                  Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

.Building smart previews on import is only beneficial if you have your Images stored on an external drive.Otherwise they will take more space and also slow down import process.In case your images are not available(they are missing from original location),You will continue to have the ability to edit them.

Smart Previews and "Minimal/1:1" previews are two separate things,smart previews are used almost exclusively in the Develop module. When in Develop module, when your images are online, Smart Preview's only role is a brief one in the pre-load stage of initial image loading.

1:1 previews are full resolution so they take up more space, but if you wish to zoom in on your photos in Library module.whereas Minimal shows the thumbnail preview embedded in the file.It’s the quickest option initially, but it’s a very small low quality preview

So if you like to zoom into 1:1 in the Library module then carry on rendering 1:1 previews as it will give you a better and clearer previews of your images.

You may refer https://www.slrlounge.com/speed-up-your-workflow-by-rendering-11-previews-in-lightroom-4/ if more insight is needed.

Hope that helps.

~Akash

• 9. Re: photoshop and Lightroom surface pro 3 optimization?
                    Digiplay Level 1

thanks for that explanation.  I also

assume smart previews are used for mobile apps? Or is that the regular preview? It seems I need to stick to my existing workflow and long slow import of 1:1 preview to minimize the lag everywhere after import.

ffinally if I shoot raw and jpg will it use my jpg as the preview file or that's not

Possible? If it's not possible it would be something to consjder given so many people

shoot both these days.

• 10. Re: photoshop and Lightroom surface pro 3 optimization?
                      Digiplay Level 1

sorry also there's a 3rd option

in catalog settings the choices are preview dimensions and quality. But neither of these make 1:1 or smart previews.   So would these then be set to 1024 and minimal and then on import we select to make 1:1? There's no option for catalog preferences to make 1:1.

SOmassuming i generate 1:1 and smart previews for my existing photos and all future imports. And I set 1:1 to never delete. Then how should unconfirmed the catalog settings ? Minimal?

• 11. Re: photoshop and Lightroom surface pro 3 optimization?
                        Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

I also assume smart previews are used for mobile apps? Or is that the regular preview? It seems I need to stick to my existing workflow and long slow import of 1:1 preview to minimize the lag everywhere after import.

Mobile previews are stored in the same folder where your catalog is saved.It will be named Lr mobile downloads . Building 1:1 previews might  be slow to build aty import but will be beneficial when you view images at that aspect ratio.

finally if I shoot raw and jpg will it use my jpg as the preview file or that's not

Lightroom treats both formats differently.Please refer How Does Lightroom Handle Simultaneous RAW and JPEG Files?

In catalog settings the choices are preview dimensions and quality. But neither of these make 1:1 or smart previews.   So would these then be set to 1024 and minimal and then on import we select to make 1:1? There's no option for catalog preferences to make 1:1.

SO m assuming i generate 1:1 and smart previews for my existing photos and all future imports. And I set 1:1 to never delete. Then how should unconfirmed the catalog settings ? Minimal?

That's not the right place to look.You can build/discard 1:1 previews anytime from Library module/

To render the 1:1 previews after the import process, first select all of the images in the folder (in the Library module) or the group of images for which you would like to render the 1:1 previews, and then go to Library > Previews > Render 1:1 Previews.

~Akash

• 12. Re: photoshop and Lightroom surface pro 3 optimization?
                          Digiplay Level 1

in familiar with how Lightroom treats raw and jog differently. My point is wouldn't it be clever if it just used the accompanying jog as the preview file - though maybe not with further thought

regarding the catalog setting preview options. I'm aware that's not how to generate the previews.  but he point is that setting still remains.  So I was saying if you assume if generated 1:1 previews for everything already in the library and in the import dialog I choose 1:1 - then does that third setting matter? I'm guessing it's just a default setting for the import dialOg? The thing is it has different options like soecifying pixel size.  So how does one set that ?

iI've generated 1:1 previews. And smart previews. ige optimized my catalog.  It runs alone well in library mode skipping through files.  However what I don't understand  is why Adobe chose to activate the develop module when in the mobile app more and simply flagging.  The delay when flagging or generally using that mobile mode is absolutely awful.  The point if the mobile mode for lost is guess is to cull but no matter what settings I have the lag persists.  The parallel I see is with the develop module and changing images.  So that leads mento wonder why Adobe didn't just use the library mode for flagging and then change to the develop mode for other processes in the mobile app mode.  For me it's unusable overall which is a shame because it's sorely needed. Its probably because the code is a port over from iOS and nobody bothered to change it.  A big request should be filed for retain library speed and retail when flagging in mobile mode.

Thanks for the continued conversation - overall despite the i7 version and not theottling.  I'm stunned how poorly Lightroom performs with a simple thing like displaying the file. Even with just minimal applied actions.

IM going to give photo mechanic a try for culling and see if I'll stick with Lightroom from there.a modern machine should be able to handle this much better than it is.  And it's not just the surface. I saw the sake thing On my Mac when it was unplugged and using discreet graphics.  It's not 3d work.  The intel 5000 should be good enough for reasonable photo silly speed.  In fact it is.  Other programs don't have the issue. Including bridge.