11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2006 5:26 PM by Web Dev Diva

Fireworks 8 not exporting correctly - Help please!

Web Dev Diva
      I'm having a problem with files that were originaly created in Fireworks 4 several years ago and have been updated in Fireworks MX then MX2004. They are complicated disjointed rollovers which involve twelve frames under one slice. When exporting to Dreamweaver HTML it created that file with twelve frame images (as in r10_c1.jpg, r10_c1_f2.jpg, r10_c1_f3.jpg, etc). All the other images were just one file. As it should be. No problems for years until now, with Fireworks 8, I get 12 frame images for every single slice! A huge waste of my time going in and deleting literally hundreds of unwanted files for every html page I generate for my client's site. This is NOT the way Fireworks has always worked. I consider this a major flaw and will not purchase the upgrade unless it it fixed. I'm now spending hours trying to fix this **** mess!

WebDevDiva
        • 1. Re: Fireworks 8 not exporting correctly - Help please!
          idv8
          Hi! We just got Fireworks 8 and are having the very same problem. I'm actually shocked that more people have not complained about this... bug??... in these forums or elsewhere because having to delete half the files you export (which now takes twice as long to do) is a damned serious shortcoming.

If there's a way to turn this off I'd love to know but I've tried a lot of things and nothing works.

To recap: If you have a PNG with more than one frame and go to export the web slices as HTML and Images, Fireworks 8 exports *every* slice of EVERY frame!

I know some people have (incorrectly) suggested checking the "current frame only" box but when there are rollovers to export that only creates an additional problem - having to export rollovers from other frames separately. Lame and previously unnecessary.

The long and the short of it is that in previous versions of Fireworks - an otherwise great web tool - this was not an issue. You exported slices and those with behaviors generated additional files from the other frames and those with no behaviors had just one slice. But now - it's a free for all! You export your slices as HTML & Images and wind up with as many images as there are slices and layers.

Adobe, please help! There must be a solution.
          • 2. Re: Fireworks 8 not exporting correctly - Help please!
            Web Dev Diva Level 1
            Yes after several days since posting this, not one "Fireworks expert" or Adobe developer has addressed a fix for this issue or even aknowledged it as a problem! Obviously you, I and at least one other person have experienced the problem. If others aren't finding this a major issue, I'd like to know what they have discovered to work around this. As for now, I do not intend to purchase Studio 8 until and unless this problem is fixed. My trial expires in 5 days.

Anna
            • 3. Re: Fireworks 8 not exporting correctly - Help please!
              Level 7
              Web Dev Diva wrote:
              > Yes after several days since posting this, not one "Fireworks expert" or Adobe
              > developer has addressed a fix for this issue or even aknowledged it as a
              > problem! Obviously you, I and at least one other person have experienced the
              > problem. If others aren't finding this a major issue, I'd like to know what
              > they have discovered to work around this.

I think it's because not many of us export entire HTML pages from
              Fireworks. I usually export images slices only, and add them to my pages
              in Dreamweaver. On occasion, I'll use the Fireworks Export Area tool to
              export a navbar for example, when I'm too lazy to build it in
              Dreamweaver. It is actually faster to build them in Fireworks, isn't it.
              :-)

--
              Linda Rathgeber ACE ::: PVII
              http://www.projectseven.com
              Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
              CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
              -----------------------------------------------------------------------
              Adobe Community Expert - Fireworks
              Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
              • 4. Re: Fireworks 8 not exporting correctly - Help please!
                Web Dev Diva Level 1
                Thanks Linda for responding to our issue. If you look at the website I am referring to, you will see why I need to be able to export the way I used to in all the previous versions of Fireworks (back to 4 anyway).

http://www.artwaresjewelry.com/stewart.html

I don't generate entire html pages with Fireworks just the main content area that I apply my page templates to in Dreamweaver. This site has 20 "featured jewelry designers" and each of them has 12 items to a page.

When you click on a thumbnail image it creates two disjointed rollovers. One changes the large image on the page to the large image that corresponds to the thumbnail image that was clicked. The other changes the image below that has the description and price of the item. These each require 12 frames. Also on each designer page as needed are two simple rollovers for previous and next. These require two frames. The rest of the images only need one frame.

I much prefer to do one export rather than have to export each slice seperately or even worse each frame seperately. I'm sure that there is a better way to accomplish this today but this site was originally built when Fireworks 4 and UltraDev were new. Rebuilding it would be a major project that my client would not be willing to fund at this point.

I still wish someone in software development would address this issue and why the export behavior is not working the way it used to. Maybe if they would post something on the emerging issues for Fireworks 8 section...

Thanks,
                Anna Stewart
                A Stewart Design
                • 5. Re: Fireworks 8 not exporting correctly - Help please!
                  Level 7
                  Web Dev Diva wrote:

> I still wish someone in software development would address this issue and why
                  > the export behavior is not working the way it used to. Maybe if they would post
                  > something on the emerging issues for Fireworks 8 section...

I can understand your frustration with this issue. I wish I could have
                  been more help, Anna. Lovely jewelry!

--
                  • 6. Re: Fireworks 8 not exporting correctly - Help please!
                    idv8 Level 1
                    Well I export the HTML and images (even exporting all images from slices, with no HTML, causes the same problem) and do my coding by hand in Homesite.

It's very odd that Macromedia/Adobe would host this forum and not have a staff member to monitor and reply to these technical problems. Not knowing how to use a tool is one thing but this is a different matter altogether!

I'm still holding out some hope... !! ADOBE??!!! :-?
                    • 7. Re: Fireworks 8 not exporting correctly - Help please!
                      Level 7
                      idv8 wrote:
                      > Well I export the HTML and images (even exporting all images from slices, with
                      > no HTML, causes the same problem) and do my coding by hand in Homesite.
                      >
                      > It's very odd that Macromedia/Adobe would host this forum and not have a staff
                      > member to monitor and reply to these technical problems.

This is a user to user forum. Have you called Macromedia/Adobe technical
                      support?

--
                      • 8. Re: Fireworks 8 not exporting correctly - Help please!
                        senocular Level 1
                        The issue is a known issue and is under investigation. Please be patient.
                        • 9. Re: Fireworks 8 not exporting correctly - Help please!
                          senocular Level 1
                          As of now, this is the only solution for this issue.

http://www.senocular.com/fireworks/tutorials/exportimagesfix/

Bear in mind that nothing is "broken" as a result of this new behavior in Fireworks 8. Fireworks only creates redundant images when exporting as HTML and Images. Functionally, nothing should change or work unlike it's supposed to. The above workaround simply overrides the default export and exports only those images used in the HTML.
                          • 10. Re: Fireworks 8 not exporting correctly - Help please!
                            Level 7
                            Wow .. that is great!
                            Thanks ..!

alex

senocular wrote:
                            > As of now, this is the only solution for this issue.
                            >
                            > http://www.senocular.com/fireworks/tutorials/exportimagesfix/
                            >
                            > Bear in mind that nothing is "broken" as a result of this new behavior in
                            > Fireworks 8. Fireworks only creates redundant images when exporting as HTML
                            > and Images. Functionally, nothing should change or work unlike it's supposed
                            > to. The above workaround simply overrides the default export and exports only
                            > those images used in the HTML.
                            >
                            • 11. Re: Fireworks 8 not exporting correctly - Help please!
                              Web Dev Diva Level 1

Excellent work, Senoclur, I never expected to have someone so kindly write an extension to fix this. I still wish Adobe would fix it too. Why lose the former capability to do this?

Thanks,
                              Anna