10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2016 2:16 PM by Dov Isaacs

InDesign CC Printing problem HP Laserjet 5SI

jkinsman Level 1

Ok just upgraded to InDesign CC (I'll save you all from my many rants) from CS6 and the first thing I noticed are tons of printing problems.

Last week I printed a 36 page document in CS6 just fine.

In InDesign CC, more than 8 pages flushed (did not print).

The printer's error log is not providing any information.

I verified the print settings in InDesign are the same.

To test, I took one graphic from one of the pages that would not print in CC. I placed it in a new document and tried printing in CC and CS6. It would not print in CC but will print in CS6.

I have checked all the settings I know of and everything seems to match.

The only difference that I see is CC is using a different PPD file than CS6. I don't know enough about PPD files to know whether this is normal or how I even change this.

If I output to PDF, I am able to print from Acrobat just fine. However, I can't output a pdf every time I need a proof printed.

This is obviously an InDesign CC problem if Acrobat and Indesign CS6 can print the same items.

Does anyone have suggestions?

• 1. Re: InDesign CC Printing problem HP Laserjet 5SI
          Derek Cross Level 6

Are you printing from InDesign or a PDF created from InDesign?

• 2. Re: InDesign CC Printing problem HP Laserjet 5SI
            jkinsman Level 1

I can print from Acrobat no problem. It is just printing from inDesign that is a problem.

• 3. Re: InDesign CC Printing problem HP Laserjet 5SI
              jkinsman Level 1

UPDATE: Got my printer to output postscript error. When I print the page, this is the error I receive

ERROR: undefined

OFFENDING COMMAND: clipsave

• 4. Re: InDesign CC Printing problem HP Laserjet 5SI
                Derek Cross Level 6

Printing directly from InDesign is not usually recommended, what's wrong with printing from a PDF?

• 5. Re: InDesign CC Printing problem HP Laserjet 5SI
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The laserjet 5SI uses HP's postscript 2 emulation, and ID does not get along will with HP emulation, let alone PS2. That printer is seriously old (compatible with Windows 3.1 and Novell NetWare), and while no doubt reliable, not well suited to working with modern programs. You might actually have better luck, if you insist on printing direct from ID, using the PCL driver.

• 6. Re: InDesign CC Printing problem HP Laserjet 5SI
                    jkinsman Level 1

Peter: thanks for your reply. I am not familier with the PCL driver. Where do I get that?

This is what I was afraid of. Chain reaction (upgrade os forces upgrade of indesign which forces upgrade of printer).

Yea the printer is old (it was a workhorse and am reluctant to let it go) but it is strange the CS6 and Acrobat have no problems working with it. I believe InDesign CS6 used postscript 2 as well, didn't it?

• 7. Re: InDesign CC Printing problem HP Laserjet 5SI
                      jkinsman Level 1

Derek, while I appreciate you taking the time to try and help, saying that printing is not recommended from InDesign can not be correct.

Outputting a pdf and then printing anytime you want a print is not only inefficient, it can't be what the folks who are developing indesign had in mind. If it was, I am sure they would have built the functionality around creating a pdf that would then print.

• 8. Re: InDesign CC Printing problem HP Laserjet 5SI

Postscript 2 has been obsolete for at least a decade, maybe 15 years. The PCL driver would have been included with the printer, but can probably be downloaded from the HP site, as well.

But printer technology has moved lightyears since that machine was produced. A couple of hundred bucks will get you a color laser as good or better in output quality as the laserjet produces in monochrome only, and a couple of thousand will get you a tabloid size color printer that rivals a press. It's time to think about replacing it.

• 9. Re: InDesign CC Printing problem HP Laserjet 5SI

jkinsman wrote:

Derek, while I appreciate you taking the time to try and help, saying that printing is not recommended from InDesign can not be correct.

Actually...

Direct print from ID has NEVER been particularly reliable (and problems with HP drivers is one of the bigger issues). Delivering native .indd files for output has been deprecated in favor of PDF workflows since at least as long as that printer has been obsolete, and I find in most cases it is faster to export the PDF and print that than it is to have the RIP process the .indd. Plus, if proofing, you are printing the same file you send to your output service.

• 10. Re: InDesign CC Printing problem HP Laserjet 5SI
                            Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Actually, there were two configurations of the LaserJet 5si. There was the LaserJet 5si which only provided PCL support and the LaserJet 5siM which provide both PCL and actual Adobe PostScript Level 2! (I know, I headed the Adobe group that tested and certified that product!)

A LaserJet 5si could be upgraded with a SIMM from Hewlett Packard that made it the equivalent of a 5siM. You also needed to add more memory! Actually, I have two LaserJet 5M printers from that era that I still use. These were the last of the LaserJets that had Adobe PostScript as opposed to buggy, unreliable CloneScript!

In many respects, the good old Adobe PostScript Level 2 Hewlett Packard printers were much better than anything they produce today in terms of reliable PostScript support.

Based on the fact that you are getting a PostScript error page, it is clearly either a 5siM or an upgraded 5si! That's great.

However, based on our collective experience, I would most strongly endorse the recommendation to export PDF/X-4 from InDesign and then print the resultant PDF file from Acrobat or Reader. Acrobat / Reader has been much better tuned to the various foibles of printing than InDesign. Yes, this adds one step, but it also gives you the opportunity to do a quick screen check of exactly what is going to print. You'd be surprised how many issues caused by mistakes made in use of InDesign I have found by looking at the PDF on-screen before printing.

Please let us know if this helps resolve your problem.

- Dov