5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2016 4:35 AM by Willi Adelberger

Characters change case between InDesign and PDF

GeraldHlasgow

Hello,

I tried this question in one of the Acrobat sub-forums and no-one had an answer. So I hope it's OK if I try asking this here, nearer the source, so to speak.

Last week, in InDesign, I exported to PDF the index section of a book I've been laying out on and emailed that PDF to the author.  When I look at the PDF on my computer, it looks perfectly fine.

When he looks at it, certain upper-case characters have been transposed to lower-case - it's always the same letters and only occurs when the character is in the standard font I've used (i.e it doesn't happen when the same letters are italicised). From what I can gather, aside from that, it happens in every instance the particular upper-case characters appear.

I wondered if it was a font-embedding issue, because I was viewing the PDF on a computer where the font is installed and the author would not be, but if I copy the PDF to a laptop of mine which doesn't have the font installed, it still looks fine there too.

On the other hand, using the same computer that I used to create the PDF in the first place, if I open the PDF in Acrobat and export the text to a Rich Text format file, the resulting .RTF does exhibit the case problems. This last thing isn't specific to Acrobat; if I open the PDF in Foxit Reader it looks OK but if I export to plain text (the only option I have), again the same problem occurs in the output.

I have InDesign CS5.5 (7.5.3).

Any ideas? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Characters change case between InDesign and PDF
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What operating system? What PDF setting did you use? Did you use File > Export > Adobe PDF (Print) or some other method?

What version of Acrobat are you using to view the PDF?

Can you provide screen captures so we can see the result.

• 2. Re: Characters change case between InDesign and PDF
            GeraldHlasgow Level 1

Hi Steve,

I'm on Windows 10. I used File > Export > Adobe PDF (Print) and selected the [High Quality Print] preset. I say "selected", it was already selected as default.

The version of Acrobat I'm viewing the PDF in is 10.1.16. I'm not sure what version the author has, or indeed whether he's actually using Acrobat or some different reader. But as the problems are reproducible on my computer, albeit in a slightly different fashion, it may not matter.

I don't think I'm going to be able to get the author to screengrab and email the result to me, but here are a couple of images that I've created.

The one on the left was generated by saving a page of the index PDF as a JPEG using Acrobat and that's an accurate representation of how the PDF looks on screen. The other is how the same page looks when exported as a rich text file (to keep the look consistent, I then printed the RTF to a new PDF from MS Word and then saved the same page from the new PDF as a JPG from within Acrobat). As you can see all the capital Es and Ns that aren't in the italic version of the font are converted to lower case. I should say, that it doesn't always affect these same two characters. In at least one version I created while I was trying to work out what was going on, it was the upper case I and something else which was wrong and the Es and Ns were fine. And that is apparently what the author is seeing when he opens the file in his PDF reader.

PDF version.jpgRTF version.jpg

• 3. Re: Characters change case between InDesign and PDF
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant
              1. Do you capitalize via Style or via SHIFT-Lock?
              2. Does your text in InDesign have the correct language and the correct composer?
              3. Is the font embedded? In Acrobat click with right mouse on any page and select Document Properties. It will show you, if the fonts are embedded.
              4. It is important to know which PDF reader your author uses! Only Adobe Acrobat can show all PDFs correctly.
              5. In Acrobat Preferences turn off local fonts, it will show YOU how others will see YOUR PDFs if the fonts you have are not installed. It will show the PDF with fallback fonts.
              6. Save as RTF is not error free, not a reliable method to check capital letters as in this area some bugs are known.
              • 4. Re: Characters change case between InDesign and PDF
                GeraldHlasgow Level 1

1. The headings at the top of the page are fully-capitalised via their style, all the other capitals are as typed using the keyboard and shift key.

2. Don't understand what you mean, Could you explain more fully?

3. Yes - as an embedded subset.

4. I'll try to find out but...

5. Have done that, and that's very useful to know that I can do it, but I had already proved that that wasn't the root cause (by opening it on a laptop which doesn't have the font installed).

6. Maybe, but it's one heck of a coincidence that it behaves exactly the same...

• 5. Re: Characters change case between InDesign and PDF
                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

2. I was asking about your paragraph style settings.

I Had a similar problem with using an OpenType Caps and small caps setting in Parastyles when a SS became ß.