11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2016 1:16 PM by phil2key

Move and Add greyed out

phil2key

I have a user in which she was unable to import from a USB drive. What would happen is that when she tried to import from any USB drive, the import would hang, you could still move around the program but could not export or import, it acted like it was doing something even though after waiting for 30 minutes it still was not doing anything. The only way around this was to close Lightroom and restart it. I updated the software to 5.7.1 and tried it again, still no luck. Then as a test, I tried to import a single image from her USB drive to a test folder on the local hard drive. I set the option to Copy and it was successful. When I tried to go back and add to catalog instead of copy, the add and move options were greyed out (Gyazo - 71ca44ff241df8d8676277b9da4177c6.png). She does not want to have to copy all the photos to her local PC and then back to her USB drive each time she wants to work on them. Anyone have some ideas as to why those 2 options are greyed out and how I can get them back?

Thanks,

Phil

• 1. Re: Move and Add greyed out
          dj_paige Level 9

If the USB drive is some sort of small removable thumb drive and not an external HD, then I'm pretty sure lightroom is behaving properly by allowing only the COPY option. Lightroom wants the photos on a real hard drive, internal external or network; or an SSD.

• 2. Re: Move and Add greyed out
            Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think Paige is correct - is this a thumb drive??

Also use the Camera Icon to embed screen shots as linking can and does lead to posts being moderated.

• 3. Re: Move and Add greyed out
              phil2key Level 1

Thank you both, yes the USB drive is a thumb drive that she said she has used in the past without any issues. I personally have not used Lightroom so I do not know what the proper behavior should be. So is Lightroom smart enough to recognize whether or not the USB drive is a thumb drive, external hard drive, etc.?

• 4. Re: Move and Add greyed out
                dj_paige Level 9

Yes

• 5. Re: Move and Add greyed out
                  phil2key Level 1

The user is still having this same issue, she says that she does not have any of these issues on her home computer just the work computer. Are there are settings that could cause this, is there any tech support numbers I can call?

• 6. Re: Move and Add greyed out
                    dj_paige Level 9

It could be that one computer identifies the thumb drive as a thumb drive, which doesn't allow Move and Add; while the other computer does NOT identify the thumb drive as a thumb drive and so it does allow Move and Add.

Nevertheless, I cannot recommend leaving photos on a thumb drive to use in Lightroom. This is not a good practice and the user would be much better off copying the photos to one of her hard disks.

• 7. Re: Move and Add greyed out
                      Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no support for Lightroom 5 as it is an obsolete programme now.

The answer the Paige has given is the correct solution.

USB thumbdrives ought to be treated the same as camera cards by the OS and Lightroom.

Using such drives as storage is extremely unwise.

• 8. Re: Move and Add greyed out
                        Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

phil2key wrote:

The user is still having this same issue, she says that she does not have any of these issues on her home computer just the work computer. Are there are settings that could cause this, is there any tech support numbers I can call?

It is the individual computers that is causing the problem. One sees the thumb drive as a Mas Storage Device, IE a real Drive, and the other computer see the TD as a Memory card device.

Do both computers have the same operating system on them, same in every way?

Is one a desktop and the other a notebook?

Either of those 2 things could be causing why they see the Thumb drive differently.

• 9. Re: Move and Add greyed out
                          phil2key Level 1

Just Shoot me -

Do both computers have the same operating system on them , same in every way? The answer is no, the user has a MAC at home and Windows PC at work

Is one a desktop and the other a notebook? The work computer is a desktop, I am not sure about her home computer

All -

I discussed this with her manager and he agrees that since Lightroom is by design not allowing the Move or Add function to be enabled when importing pictures from a thumbbrive and she is using different versions of OS's at home and at work, that there is not much more we can do. One thing to point out is I tried another thumbdrive and it still did not give me the Move or Add functions but when I plugged in a memory card reader and plugged in the SD Card it did allow the Move and Add functions when I selected Import. The user comes back to the office on Monday so I plan on letter her know that we done all we can and that there really is nothing more we can do.

Thank you all for your help!

• 10. Re: Move and Add greyed out
                            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

First you said it is a Thumb Drive and then you said you used a Card Reader to insert the SD Card in. Which is it a Thumb drive (Self contained memory chips with a USB plug on the end or a Memory Card that has to be placed in some other device that has a USB plug or connector that then plug into a computer directly or with a cable).

A Memory Thumb drive, Stick, is totally different from a Memory card like a SD CF card.

Yes the problem is that Windows is sees the SD card AS a SD card and or a Thumb drive as Removable storage device where OS X, Mac, is seeing it as just another drive.

But I don't understand what the problem is with not having the options to Move or Add on the work computer. If Add was an option and was used for importing the images on that SD card then when that card was removed LR would put up a bunch of Question Marks for all those images.

Simple fact is the Move option is BAD for SD/CF cards as those are devices that are used in a camera and should be formatted in the camera to remove images. Deleting them when the card is connected to a computer could corrupt the card. Also when you Delete something from any storage device it doesn't really get removed. It get marked as deleted, the Storage Space becomes available, so other data can be written to that area of the storage media.

• 11. Re: Move and Add greyed out
                              phil2key Level 1

My apologizes for any confusion. I was not my intention to confuse the situation. When I mentioned the card reader I was simply passing along that the user had tried a card reader and the card reader had worked. As I have never used Lightroom before, I did not understand how LR recognizes different types of devices, thank you for the clarification.

I really appreciate all the help that everyone has given me, I have a greater understanding of what the problem was and why it was happening. I will pass all this along to the end user.