3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2016 4:28 PM by johnrellis

Why is feathered Layer Mask in PSD file in Photoshop (PS) showing as unfeathered when the same file is viewed in Lightroom (LR) ?

Sam Breach Level 1

This strange issue started showing up for me yesterday  (3/14/16).

This is the second file this has happened to me for.  Working this way is normal behaviour for me. In Photoshop I utilize layer masks and use the feathering function  in nearly every file I work with,  but it is only now I have started seeing this issue.

My regular workflow is: LR > Edit in Photoshop CC 2015 > Make PS layers, etc > Save as PSD > Go back to LR to make final tweaks and export.

I am working on a iMac OSX 10.11.1 (15B42)  | 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7  |  16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 |  ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB

LR and PS  CC versions are up to date (last updated 14 days ago)

So the problem is that in a Photoshop file where I have a layer mask that is using feathering of the layer mask to soften its edges, when I save that as a PSD file and it appears in the LR catalogue, the mask is showing up as unfeathered. The two images you see below are of the exact same file. On the left, in PS, it looks as I expect it to look. On the right, the same file viewed in LR shows that same layer mask with a sharp, unfeathered edge. My LR is set up so that when I use the workflow (as described above), the PSD file automatically populates itself in the LR catalogue next to the original raw file.

This is the second random file in a row this has happened to me for. I tried different levels of feathering and the issue still occurred.

I rebooted my machine and the issue still occurs.

Have I found a new bug?

PSLRfeathermaskissue.jpg