11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2016 11:34 AM by Szalam

Rotate object rotobrush

bryced87 Level 1

I was given a piece of footage with a lapel mic that's large and is upright and right in the way of the persons neck. He was wearing a T-Shirt. Is there anyway to use the rotobrush and trace around the lapel mic and then rotate the mic so it points down rather than the way it is now sticking up and being annoying?

• 1. Re: Rotate object rotobrush
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You don't use Rotobrush, you simply mask it and duplicate the layer. basics!

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Rotate object rotobrush
            bryced87 Level 1

Mylenium wrote:

You don't use Rotobrush, you simply mask it and duplicate the layer. basics!

Mylenium

I tried that. But the mic is still in the way. How do I turn the mic around?

• 3. Re: Rotate object rotobrush
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Provide a screenshot. Or are you expecting any of AE's tools to magically patch up holes and "imagine" the original content behind the mike? In that case there is no such thing and depending on how your shot actually looks, it may not be salvageable in post even with a lot of work. Sometimes bad shots simply cannot be fixed.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Rotate object rotobrush
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As I am visualizing your shot and your problem I think it would be easier to just remove the mic than try to reposition it. If you post a screenshot or a frame  of the video I will show you exactly how to do it. If the shot is what I think it is I would track it with Mocha and then stabilize it and borrow part of the t-shirt from the rest of the frame to hide the mic. If you really want to leave the mike in the shot and reposition it then you would take that portion of the frame into Photoshop and do some careful cutting and layering to build a new portion of the shirt to fix the problem.

• 5. Re: Rotate object rotobrush
                  bryced87 Level 1

Mylenium wrote:

Provide a screenshot. Or are you expecting any of AE's tools to magically patch up holes and "imagine" the original content behind the mike? In that case there is no such thing and depending on how your shot actually looks, it may not be salvageable in post even with a lot of work. Sometimes bad shots simply cannot be fixed.

Mylenium

Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 5.43.31 PM.png

There is the screenshot. The mic is sticking up. Can I flip it so it's upside down?

• 6. Re: Rotate object rotobrush
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you clipped out the microphone and rotated it downward, you would have an empty space where it used to be. You will have to clone a new piece of skin for his neck too. This is probably going to be way too much work for the result you will be getting.

Basically, use Photoshop to make a clean version with no mic, then use motion tracking to attach that patch to his body (tracking the microphone should be easy for this). Then, if you want to, add the microphone back in and attach it to the tracking information too.

• 7. Re: Rotate object rotobrush
                      bryced87 Level 1

Szalam wrote:

If you clipped out the microphone and rotated it downward, you would have an empty space where it used to be. You will have to clone a new piece of skin for his neck too. This is probably going to be way too much work for the result you will be getting.

Basically, use Photoshop to make a clean version with no mic, then use motion tracking to attach that patch to his body (tracking the microphone should be easy for this). Then, if you want to, add the microphone back in and attach it to the tracking information too.

Can I use the clones stamp tool in After Etfects?

• 8. Re: Rotate object rotobrush

bryced87 wrote:

Can I use the clones stamp tool in After Etfects?

Yes.

• 9. Re: Rotate object rotobrush
                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If there is any movement in your shot or the guy moves then the Clone stamp in AE is very problematic. I am about done with a tutorial using Mocha, CC Power Pin, Corner Pin and cloning that would be perfect for this project. You basically isolate part of your frame by tracking in Mocha and applying corner pin, then you take a screenshot and do the repairs, then you add masked repaired item to the composite in a pre-comp and you're done. This technique would be by far the easiest way to fix the problem. In this case I would pick a frame from the video, export that as a PSD file and do the repair there, then use that repaired area to remove the microphone. Trying to replace it and move it around is entirely unnecessary unless the microphone is a critical part of the story you are trying to tell.

• 10. Re: Rotate object rotobrush
                            bryced87 Level 1

Rick Gerard wrote:

If there is any movement in your shot or the guy moves then the Clone stamp in AE is very problematic. I am about done with a tutorial using Mocha, CC Power Pin, Corner Pin and cloning that would be perfect for this project. You basically isolate part of your frame by tracking in Mocha and applying corner pin, then you take a screenshot and do the repairs, then you add masked repaired item to the composite in a pre-comp and you're done. This technique would be by far the easiest way to fix the problem. In this case I would pick a frame from the video, export that as a PSD file and do the repair there, then use that repaired area to remove the microphone. Trying to replace it and move it around is entirely unnecessary unless the microphone is a critical part of the story you are trying to tell.

maybe it's just me. Others tell me the lav mic looks fine where it is. The guy is only giving a tutorial. Does the mic really need to be removed?

• 11. Re: Rotate object rotobrush

bryced87 wrote:

The guy is only giving a tutorial. Does the mic really need to be removed?

I don't think so.