4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2016 10:16 AM by gregrock23

How to brush tool

gregrock23 Level 1

Okay I know this sounds like a silly question, and I feel like I've done it so many times! When I'm in after effects, and I have the brush option selected just a grey box appears (similar to if you just drag your mouse while clicked on a desktop.) I attempted to solve this by adding a background layer or image but when this is added, and the brush is selected, I just somehow end up dragging the layer with the image?? I just want to use the brush tool. I don't know why this is so difficult. Please help me

• 1. Re: How to brush tool
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nobody can tell you anything without proper system info or other technical details like version of AE, what brush tool you are referring to and settings.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How to brush tool
            gregrock23 Level 1

Version 13.5, newest update I downloaded it yesterday. And THE brush tool (ctrl B), it just says brush tool when I hover over it. I don't know of any other way of describing it other than when it properly works it acts as a paint brush, brushing lines onto the screen. As far as I know it's the only tool labeled brush. Others are like "roto" brush or "healing" brush. But alas, Just the brush tool is what my question is aimed at.

• 3. Re: How to brush tool
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Fair enough. And what system? What are the actual brush settings? Normally such issues would indicate an issue with transparency blending, which is quite possible if the brush is quite large or you have some specific other settings. That and of course it could be another of those gigazillion bugs in current versions of AE.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: How to brush tool
                gregrock23 Level 1

I fixed it! turns out I just had to double click my working clip into an isolated layer in order for the brush tool to draw, just in case anyone else has this problem! and PC!