2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2016 9:38 AM by trshaner

I am getting latency in lightroom. Can anyone please help?

brettjameslive

Hi, I am no Lightroom expert, but I know my way around a computer.

I have build my friend a moster PC, with a NVidia Quaddro 4GB Workstation video card, top end Z170 motherboard, 32GB DDR4 RAM and an Intel Skylake i7 CPU.  We have a 1TB SSD as a primary and 2 x 3TB NAS drives set up as a mirror internally.

Now, there used to be NO latrency, however, it seems to have crept in.  When starting Lightroom CC, the catalog files on the left (in the Windows Explorer style list) can take up to 8 seconds to populate now, showing little 'dots' while we wait for it.  This is odd!?  The lighroom files may be on the mirror (I will check) but there shouldn't be this latency surely?

Also, when using a brush with a tablet, when you move the stylus, there may be a slight lag, about a half second, or second, which is VERY off putting, as you can imagine.  Like I say this isn't ALWAYS the case, but 9 times out of 0, it is.  I have been through the setting for PS and Lightroom with regard to it using the correct video card etc, but no joy.

Does anyone else have any great ideas to help please?

Thanks so much.

Brett

• 1. Re: I am getting latency in lightroom. Can anyone please help?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I know you are going to question this suggestion. However, it's worth a try. Go to Lightroom preferences, performance tab, and uncheck the GPU option. See if it makes a difference in performance. I understand you have installed the latest/greatest in this computer, but GPU seems to be causing problems with some computers.

• 2. Re: I am getting latency in lightroom. Can anyone please help?
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

brettjameslive wrote:

Now, there used to be NO latrency, however, it seems to have crept in.  When starting Lightroom CC, the catalog files on the left (in the Windows Explorer style list) can take up to 8 seconds to populate now, showing little 'dots' while we wait for it.

I'm seeing the same behavior with LR CC 2015.4 on my Windows 7 system with more modest hardware. I don't know when this changed, but it shouldn't stop you from editing the files. You can access the files in the folder immediately even though the file count number hasn't appeared yet.....at least on my system.

brettjameslive wrote:

Also, when using a brush with a tablet, when you move the stylus, there may be a slight lag, about a half second, or second, which is VERY off putting, as you can imagine.  Like I say this isn't ALWAYS the case, but 9 times out of 0, it is.  I have been through the setting for PS and Lightroom with regard to it using the correct video card etc, but no joy.

You should be aware that currently the GPU is not used to accelerate the Adjustment Brush:

"Within Develop, most image editing controls have full GPU acceleration, including the basic and tone panel, panning and zooming, crop and straighten, lens corrections, gradients, and radial filter. Some controls, such as local brush adjustments and spot clone/heal, do not -- at least, not yet."

Full article by Eric Chan, Adobe Engineering: GPU notes for Lightroom CC (2015)

In fact unselecting 'Use Graphics Processor' as suggests  reduces the Adjustment Brush latency on my system. Intuitively, this shouldn't have any effect, but it does on my system! See this reply:

Re: GPU notes for Lightroom CC (2015)