2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2006 2:48 PM by Lotus_Flower

Nothing Showing in the Topic Pane

Lotus_Flower
      After compiling the HTML Help file, RoboHelp displays the HTML Help Viewer. The Navigation pane works fine. However, nothing is showing in the Topic Pane on the right except a message saying: The page cannot be displayed.

How do I fix this problem?

Please help!
        • 1. Re: Nothing Showing in the Topic Pane
          ElisaFnord Level 2
          Hi, Lotus Flower. Welcome to the forum.

Is your HTMLHelp .chm file on a network? If so, you are being stopped by a Windows security update. Peter Grainge has a full explanation on his site (www.grainge.org), but you may have some trouble getting there - I think he's having his server landscaped.

The short form: Windows does NOT want active content (like a .chm file) running over a network. HTMLHelp was never intended for network use, anyway - users are supposed to install their help file on the local PC along with the application. There isn't a lot you can do about it except a) distribute the .chm file to each user or b) use a different output on the network. WebHelp was designed to run from a server, and so was FlashHelp.

By the way, you're not working on your RoboHelp source files over the network, are you? Don't do that - people have permanently scrambled their projects. Always keep your source files on your C: drive. You can back up source files to a network drive, as long they are local when you work on them.

HTH,
          Elisa
          • 2. Re: Nothing Showing in the Topic Pane
            Lotus_Flower Level 1
            Hi Elisa,

Yes. I am working on my RoboHelp source file over the network.

Thank you very much for your help!

Lotus Flower