2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2016 12:38 PM by m Nilsson

Could you please help me setting up my disks (everyhing like cache and others) on my laptop (I am a newbee).

m Nilsson Level 1

Hi. Just bought a new machine. I am quite skilled at editing - but a total newbee on the tech side. I want to setup my disk management properly in Premiere Pro (later after fx as well). Could someone give me a hand? I think I am doing something wrong, reading/writing to the same system. Got 1 ssd + 1 tb HDD on D.

Product Name:                 GS60 2QE

HDI Build:                    ZS7-16H5BM4-DSK   3.TC1.A23.9.0.1 

BIOS Version:                 E16H5IMS.506

BIOS Release Date:            2015/05/21

EC Version:                   16H5EMS1 Ver5.06, 03/30/2015

CPU:                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5700HQ CPU @ 2.70GHz

Memory:                       16 GB @ 800 MHz

- 8192 MB, DDR3-1600, Kingston MSI16D3LS1MNG/8G 

- 8192 MB, DDR3-1600, Kingston MSI16D3LS1MNG/8G 

Graphics:                     Intel(R) HD Graphics 5600, 1024 MB

Graphics:                     NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M, 3072 MB

VBIOS Version:                84.04.26.00.13

Drive:                        HDD, HGST HTS721010A9E630, 931,51 GB

Drive:                        SSD, TOSHIBA THNSNJ128G8NU, 119,24 GB

Network:                      Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)

Network:                      Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1525 Wireless Network Adapter

Network:                      Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)

• 1. Re: Could you please help me setting up my disks (everyhing like cache and others) on my laptop (I am a newbee).
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am working on a laptop right now and I am able on this laptop to work easily on Sony AVCHD 1080 three camera setups and I have recently been able to throw some Sony XAVC S 4k footage into the mix.(now remember there are much more complex formats around.  If that SSD holds your OS/Application that is the right start.  If not you need to clone the hard drive to an SSD that 128 GB SSD is a little small but if you are careful about what you put on it. It will be ok. You could check as some GS 60's have room for a second M.2 drive

Now here is how I work quite successfully.  I have acquired several Samsung T1 USB 3.0 flash drives which are several times faster than the hard drive in your unit.  I put ALL my project files on theT1. Media, Preview Files, Auto Save Files, Project itself.  The only thing not on the USB device are the disposable Media Cache and Media Cache DataBase which are on my C: drive and I clean this regularly.  Now days you would buy the newer Samsung T3 USB drives and they now go up to 2 TB in size

• 2. Re: Could you please help me setting up my disks (everyhing like cache and others) on my laptop (I am a newbee).
            m Nilsson Level 1

Thanks a lot. I am in the middle of a discussion with a tech guy. I will look into it. Thank you so much. Wonder why my pc lags on playback - and Premiere sometimes freezes. Yes - I am very careful not putting everything else than Programs itself at the C drive.