7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2016 7:39 PM by johnrellis

Any fix for "Lightroom cannot import - Maximize compatibility?"

TOMBRUNO

Hello -- I am trying to use LR, first by importing my many files from Photoshop.  Most of the 170,000 image files did successfully import, but for about 1,000 PSD files LR showed a failure, telling me to "maximize compatibility in Photoshop."

Since I started working with PS, version 3, years ago, I always set my preferences to do this, to maximize compatibility.  Every single one of my PSD files is this way.

Searching the forum, I see no clear answer to this problem, although many seem to encounter it.  So I am writing this post.  A possible clue is that many of my PSD's are quite large, over 1 GB in size, and a few of the recent ones are over 2 GB, saved as PSB.  Not many of those, though.  Does Lightroom reject large Photoshop files?

Can anyone solve this?  Thanks,

Tom B

• 1. Re: Any fix for "Lightroom cannot import - Maximize compatibility?"
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

telling me to "maximize compatibility in Photoshop."

One possibility: There is a bug in Photoshop, such that if a PSD is first saved without Maximize Compatibility, changing the option and then re-saving the file won't have any effect.  Perhaps those 1,000 PSDs were somehow first saved without the option set, e.g. someone else first created them and then sent them to you. 

The only way around the bug is to set the Maximize Compatability option and then do File > Save As.   Take one of the files and do File > Save As and import the saved copy -- does it make a difference?

• 2. Re: Any fix for "Lightroom cannot import - Maximize compatibility?"
            a few of the recent ones are over 2 GB, saved as PSB.  Not many of those, though.  Does Lightroom reject large Photoshop files?

Unfortunately, LR does not import PSB files at all.  If they are less than 4 GB, you can try converting them to TIFF and importing the TIFF.

PSDs do have the same restrictions as all image formats in LR: The longest edge can be no longer than 65,000 pixels, and the total number of pixels (width x height) must be less than 512M.  In addition, PSDs with bit-depth of 32 can't be imported.

• 3. Re: Any fix for "Lightroom cannot import - Maximize compatibility?"
              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

In my experience with .PSD images (nothing large!) that will not import to Lightroom, they were saved from Photoshop when "Maximize Compatibility" was turned 'off' in Photoshop preferences.

To be able to import these in LR it was a task to open them in Photoshop, apply one small edit, and save with the 'Compatibility' option now turned 'on'.

To make it easier for many images, I first assembled the problematic images in one folder, then ran a Photoshop Batch Action on the folder of images that made a slight change and re-saved all images in the folder. The LR import then went smoothly. (Only problem was that these images were now in a new folder location different to original.)

ps. Are there any gurus that know Photoshop, and how one might open multiple files, in different locations, from a text list? (as might be created by the Lightroom "cannot import" error warning)

• 4. Re: Any fix for "Lightroom cannot import - Maximize compatibility?"
                ran a Photoshop Batch Action on the folder of images that made a slight change and re-saved all images in the folder. The LR import then went smoothly. (Only problem was that these images were now in a new folder location different to original.)

I think this did the equivalent of File > Save As for each of the files.

• 5. Re: Any fix for "Lightroom cannot import - Maximize compatibility?"
                  TOMBRUNO Level 1

Thanks for the replies so far.

I am certain that Max Compatibility was turned on.  I made an effort with each version of PS to be scrupulous about this, because I somehow knew it could be important later on.

As to a bug in the program, I doubt it.  Right now I'm using a brand new computer, 3 months old, and I purposely did not import any programs from the old system.  Instead, I did a fresh install of every program, to avoid hidden bugs, including Adobe CC.  So I'm pretty sure the program is intact.

• 6. Re: Any fix for "Lightroom cannot import - Maximize compatibility?"
                    As to a bug in the program, I doubt it.  Right now I'm using a brand new computer, 3 months old, and I purposely did not import any programs from the old system.  Instead, I did a fresh install of every program, to avoid hidden bugs, including Adobe CC.  So I'm pretty sure the program is intact.

The Photoshop bug with Maximize Compatibility and File > Save is a flaw in the coding of the program and is present in fresh installs. 

• 7. Re: Any fix for "Lightroom cannot import - Maximize compatibility?"
                      I am certain that Max Compatibility was turned on.

Try doing File > Save As on of the files and see if the saved copy imports.