10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2016 10:19 PM by wobertc

When transferring photos from photoshop to lightroom they sort of disappear??

http://shot4

I go through my thing in LR, then use edit in PS to move to PS.  I do my thing is PS and then I save and close.  This has always resulted in the new corrected photo coming into LR next to the old in LR as a PSD file.  I did that a few days ago and could not find the corrected photo.    When I look for it in my regular library (where all the folders and files on my computer are listed.  It is in the correct folder as a psd photo. I tried importing it from the computer folder.  It won't let me because it says it is already in the folder (because it is on my computer).  I thought it just needs to find it so I shut the program and restarted.  Didn't help.  I tried another photo and the same thing happened again.  I am not sure how to cure this.  I work in LR as my base for my organization my starting and ending point.  Now I have several photos that I can not get into LR.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what happened.  I have been using the same work flow for some time and have never had this issue before.  I need to fix this quickly!!!

• 1. Re: When transferring photos from photoshop to lightroom they sort of disappear??
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi A F Fshot,

If it shows the image as duplicate while re-importing, it means that the image is already present in catalog.

Make sure you do not have any filters turned on and have the correct folder selected which contains the main image which was edited in Photoshop.

Also, go to Lightroom Preferences > External Editing > make sure "Stack with Originals" is checked.

Regards,

Chetna

• 2. Re: When transferring photos from photoshop to lightroom they sort of disappear??
            wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Check your sort order for the LR Grid view. "Added Order" would put the 'new' psd file at the end of the thumbnails.

Also search for the original file name. LR default is to use the same filename with '-edit' as a name extension.

Stacking options can also hide thumbnails in some circumstances. Go  Menu>Photo>Stacking>Expand all stacks.

• 3. Re: When transferring photos from photoshop to lightroom they sort of disappear??
              Michael J. Hoffman Adobe Community Professional

In addition to the above tips, make sure you are looking at a folder in the "Folders" panel, and not a collection, or one of the views in the Catalog panel such as "Previous Import." And make sure your Library Filters (top of the grid view, keyboard shortcut "\") are set to "None," or at least to a setting that will allow you to view your PSD. For example, if under Metadata, you set File Type to "Jpeg," the PSD would be hidden by the filters).

Mike

• 4. Re: When transferring photos from photoshop to lightroom they sort of disappear??
                http://shot4 Level 1

The problem is that LR creates a new folder (same name as the original folder in a new heading.  My main organization is top folder is "photo work-photo work" the sub folder is "work folder" and then I have all the different shoots or categories I have shot.  When I save and close the photo in PS the photo displayed in a completely new major heading (on a level with my photo work-photo work" heading only it is "work folder-PHOTO WORK" and then new sub folders that are the exact name of the folder that the photo started in with only the one photo in it.  When I try to just move the one photo in the the correct file I get a message that says that I can't move that photo because it already exists in that file.  I really have to solve this problem my work flow is a mess!!!       Anyone that can help   HELP!!!

• 5. Re: When transferring photos from photoshop to lightroom they sort of disappear??

From my notes at other post threads-

Problem description:

After importing new photos Lightroom shows them to be in a new directory tree, with the same name as the original intended/target directory tree - except the name of the directory is all in CAPITALS. (Some people report duplicates without capitalisation!).

ie. Lightroom shows two directories with the same contents. Note that no new directory is actually created, LR just thinks there is two (you can check with "show in Finder"). So, even though it appears there are duplicate directories and files, in reality they are all correctly located in the one original directory. LR is simply confused.

Solution to get rid of duplicate directories: (let’s call then “capitals” and “lowercase”)-

1. In Lightroom:  Update the ‘capitals’ folder location to the correct ‘lowercase’ folder (right-click on the ‘capitals’ folder, then choose "update folder location") Lightroom will ask if OK to merge the two - say 'yes'.

Everything now appears to be OK, except that with any new import the ‘capitals’ duplicate folder will reappear, so continue-

2. In Explorer/Finder:  Create a new folder with a different name (at the same level of the directory hierarchy as the problematic folders).

3. In Explorer/Finder:  Move all contents of the problematic folder to the new folder, delete the problematic folder.

4. In Lightroom:   LR now cannot find the old folder, it will show with a ‘?’ , so reconnect the photo library to the new folder ("update folder location", as above)

5. In Lightroom:   Rename the new folder as it was originally, or accept the new name as permanent.

• 6. Re: When transferring photos from photoshop to lightroom they sort of disappear??
                    Thank you so much for this input it was just what I needed.  I just could not figure out how to explain the problem.  Believe me, I was more confused then LR.  Again thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: When transferring photos from photoshop to lightroom they sort of disappear??

wobertc I still have a problem.  The first time I tested it worked great.  I then started to import files from the card I had been using to store photos while I couldn't use my LR.   The files turned up in a separate folder outside my "work folder" and designated folder for import.  I was able to move it around to fix.  I continued to use this method to download more photos.  Now I am back to when I work on photos or import photos I have the same problem.  I now know what to do to fix, but how do I stop it from happening?  Not sure what is causing the problem.  Is it time to remove LR and reinstall?  I have put so much time into this and can't work on my photography.  This is crazy!! Please help. 

• 8. Re: When transferring photos from photoshop to lightroom they sort of disappear??

If your imports do not put the files where you expect them, you must closely examine the "Destination" options in the import dialog. Posting a screen-clip of the destination panel showing details when you are about to import, might help us 'users' begin to understand your problem.

I had to use the "Capitals/Lowercase" fix on one occasion, but not since for a long time.

Is it possible you still have folders with the same name showing in the Folder panel?

You may need to right-click on a topmost folder and choose "Show Parent Folder" to get the full picture of your folder structure (as Lightroom thinks it is.!!) (A screen-clip of the folder panel here also?)

Perhaps your 'Merge' method from the instructions worked for one folder duplicate pair, but others remain.

I am not 'advanced' in Lightroom so my advice may not always be helpful. Keep inquiring!

• 9. Re: When transferring photos from photoshop to lightroom they sort of disappear??

When I did this it returned me to the original problem.  Of course I now know how to solve that, but I need to make it stop this behavior.  I am wondering if I should remove LR and reinstall with the old catalog? 

I will try another inquiry.  I tried on a different forum but have gotten nothing.  I have to fix this it has stopped all my work. 

• 10. Re: When transferring photos from photoshop to lightroom they sort of disappear??

If it is the "Duplicate Folders" problem - are you completing the instructions as above right through to step#5 ?  (Necessary to "stop" the problem!)

If it just a folder in the 'Wrong place' then that will be an Import problem- which we can only diagnose from a screen clip of your import "Destination" panel.