4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2016 2:19 AM by Dirk Becker

Applescript: Script Menu Actions not calling sub-routines referenced within a handler.

dylw Level 1

OK this is driving my nuts, I thought I had a good handle on these handlers , but I guess not.

I am running several scripts I have written via submenus in InDesign. I have, essentially, got the functionality working except it breaks whenever an invoked handler which is attached to a script menu item needs to call a sub-routine. I have attached a sample of the script I am writing below to demonstrate what I mean, go straight down to the bottom "on myMenuAction()" for the tricky area, it completely ignores the second statement because of the referenced sub-routine.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated by me, and the team that will benefit from this script if I get it running properly.

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2015"

--Prepare the Menu Item

try

set aMenuAction to script menu action "Menu Action Test"

on error

set aMenuAction to make script menu action with properties {title:"Menu Action Test"}

end try

--Make the event listener attached to the Menu Item created

tell aMenuAction

--If the script menu action already existed then remove it and start again

if (count event listeners) > 0 then

tell every event listener to delete

end if

make event listener with properties {event type:"onInvoke", handler:my myMenuAction}

end tell

--Draw the Menu in InDesign

tell menu "$ID/Main"

--Insert the Menu Name

try

set myMenuName to submenu "Menu Test"

on error

set myMenuName to make submenu with properties {title:"Menu Test"}

end try

--Add all the Menu Actions

tell myMenuName

try

set aMenuActionName to menu item "Menu Action Test"

on error

set aMenuActionName to make menu item with properties {associated menu action:aMenuAction}

end try

end tell

end tell

end tell

on theCurrentDay()

set TodaysDay to the weekday of the (current date)

return TodaysDay

end theCurrentDay

on myMenuAction()

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2015"

display dialog "Hello World" --This works because there is no sub-routine involved

display dialog "Hello World, today is " & my theCurrentDay() --This doesn't work because a sub-routine is called

end tell

end myMenuAction