4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2016 9:46 AM by pat agonia

Saving / exporting images for a website in LR CC, or is it better in PS?

pat agonia Level 1

Hello.

I am struggling a little here as I have files sizes in RAW of around 36mb.

To better load images up to a new web site I am told they have to be 72dpi and not more than about 150kb in size else people wait too long for images to load.

Is that correct?

I had a look at the Web facility in LR CC on YouTube and here on Adobe but was unsure if this is correct for this purpose, getting images ready to upload to galleries on my site.

Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 11.28.19.png

So, I have created an action in PS CS 6 to do this action, and since I am Batch Processing / opening images from Bridge (as I don't know any better way), said images are re sized to a 12x8 inch size and at 72dpi.

Some 48% Smart Sharpen from the Filters menu and then File /  Saved for Web at around 50%

This is, as you can see, giving me an image of 141kb in size.

Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 11.28.57.png

So, is there a "better" way to do this from within LR CC?

Is what I doing AOK and that's all that I need to be doing regardless of the method of getting to the final web-site-ready images?

All / any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Saving / exporting images for a website in LR CC, or is it better in PS?
          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional
          To better load images up to a new web site I am told they have to be 72dpi

Ppi (dpi) is metadata used when printing to calculate print dimensions. For screen viewing, ppi is meaningless, only pixel dimensions matter.

So you can set the ppi to 72 - or any other number.

and not more than about 150kb in size else people wait too long for images to load.

With today's internet speeds, 150 kb isn't very big. But keep your files as small as possible, without sacrificing too much quality.

Personally, I'd go for a higher quality setting than 50, try 60 or 70. It also depends on subject matter - flat areas like a clear blue sky will compress really well, but may require a high quality setting to avoid artifacts/blockiness.

So, is there a "better" way to do this from within LR CC?

Yes, use Export. You can create presets for different sizes, quality settings, etc.

LR's output sharpening for screen is excellent. When capture sharpening is done properly in Develop, images should look good with standard output sharpening. If you're not pleased with an exported file, change the settings and export it again.

You could also LR's web galleries (with which I have no experience), but I get the impression that you want to upload the images to pre-built galleries, then Export is the way to go.

• 2. Re: Saving / exporting images for a website in LR CC, or is it better in PS?
            pat agonia Level 1

Thanks.

I am keen to learn more about this Web Gallies as having run one WGallery out I did not really understand it!

But as you say, these maybe for formatted (?) web sites with web galleries (?).

Interested that you use Export from within Lr with some presents.

Am I correct in saying these Presets have to be built / established within Lr or can they be imported for elsewhere?

Thanks - I'm off for a wander in the hills for a while if I don't get back to you today - plus it's St Patrick's Day so there's a Guinness (or two) to be had on my return!

• 3. Re: Saving / exporting images for a website in LR CC, or is it better in PS?
              Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

I took a quick look at the LR web galleries, and they are made with thumbnails, big images, design, etc, and you can upload them complete to your website.

If you use export, you have to export thumbnails and large images separately, to folders on your harddrive.

Then you'd have to upload the images to your website, using pre-built galleries, or whatever system you use on your website.

You define export presets in the Export dialog, it's very easy, and doesn't take much time.

Enter all the settings you want for a particular preset, then click Add in the bottom left corner.

• 4. Re: Saving / exporting images for a website in LR CC, or is it better in PS?
                pat agonia Level 1

www.timfisher.co.uk

It's a standard, off-the peg design and website, but not one which accepts galleries I think as I upload individual images per page in any given gallery.

Thanks