6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2016 1:13 PM by Szalam

How to workaround the inability to real-time preview?

DreamOn21 Level 1

I don't know if it's just my hardware, but I have no clue how I'm supposed to edit anything when I can only pre-render 15 seconds of footage at a time and then the rest after that is extremely slow. Anyone have any advice?

• 1. Re: How to workaround the inability to real-time preview?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're not supposed to edit anything in After Effects. Editing is cutting shots together to tell a story. You should really be doing that in Premiere Pro which is a Non-Linear Editor. After Effects is not editing software. Trying to edit in it would be very frustrating.

Now, if you're doing something else and calling it editing, please describe your issue in more detail so we can try to help you.

FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?

• 2. Re: How to workaround the inability to real-time preview?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AE has never been an app that would preview long sections of video in real time in full resolution. The main use of AE is to create visual effects shots or motion graphics or in some cases short sequences. You edit those shots in a NLE like Premiere Pro so you can quickly make the kind of decisions that improve the telling of your story.

If you are having problems with real time preview of short sections of your shots in AE you can increase the time of the preview by setting the Magnification Factor to 50% and setting the Resolution to Auto. You can also check skip frames in the Preview Panel to lengthen the time of the preview. The length of your preview depends entirely on the size of your comp frame, the resolution of the Comp panel, and your available system resources.

If your preview does not playback in real time you can sometimes improve performance by opening the Render Cue panel and dragging it below the timeline and minimizing it as much as possible. There's currently a bug in the screen redraw system that fouls up real time playback on some systems and this is the most reliable and least intrusive workaround.

• 3. Re: How to workaround the inability to real-time preview?
              DreamOn21 Level 1

I see what you're saying. Currently, all I'm trying to do is make animated text subtitles for a video, and I've gotten a lot of stuff nailed down, I just don't know how this is possible if the footage is lagging all the time.

• 4. Re: How to workaround the inability to real-time preview?

DreamOn21 wrote:

I see what you're saying. Currently, all I'm trying to do is make animated text subtitles for a video, and I've gotten a lot of stuff nailed down, I just don't know how this is possible if the footage is lagging all the time.

What (exact) version number of AE are you using?

What OS?

Could you describe more precisely the nature of your issue? Once a preview is cached, it should play back at full speed (unless you're running El Capitan, in which case there is a bug with a few workarounds and a public beta fix you could test).

• 5. Re: How to workaround the inability to real-time preview?
                  DreamOn21 Level 1

Adobe After Effects, CC. Latest version. I'm using Windows 10.

My issue is basically this:

I'm having an issue because I have a video that I'm wanting to upload to my YouTube channel. I'm trying to add animated text that pops up on screen at certain important moments. It's sort of a practice exercise. However, my issue is that this is nearly impossible where I can render at max 35 seconds of the footage and have it play back at full speed with audio. Otherwise I'm looking at a glitchy piece of video with nearly inaudible audio (because it's rendering).

• 6. Re: How to workaround the inability to real-time preview?

Are you fairly new to working with After Effects? 35 seconds is a fairly long time for AE to play something back. AE is not built for that sort of thing. Remember what I said before about AE creating shots. AE is really only intended for making short shots. That's because it works with completely uncompressed video internally which works out to around 1-2 GB every couple of seconds. To get a longer cached preview, you need more RAM or to take Rick's suggestions for enabling AE to cache longer segments of time. Alternatively, you should be able to preview your whole comp as long as you do it in 30-second increments and just work your way down it a bit at a time.

Now, if you're trying to get text lined up with audio cues, you might consider doing audio-only playback until you find the spot you need to work.

Alternatively, use text animation templates you create in After Effects inside Premiere Pro: How to use Live Text templates from After Effects in Premiere Pro

Premiere is more geared for long-form playback since it just plays back a video stream (unlike AE).