22 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2016 3:49 PM by trshaner

Trouble resizing/exporting images

amyh36688854

Let me start out by say I wasn't having these issues before the most recent "update".

When I'm trying to export an image from RAW to jpeg, with the resizing box checked, and the "original" option not clicked, it is maintaining it's original size/dimensions no matter what I do unless I go down to something ridiculous like 3x5.

I had no issues making a panoramic shot into a slightly less so image before but now I'm having the printers stressing out because every single one of my supposedly resized images, were not resized at all. Is there some new trick I'm missing? I'd like to take my poster size images down to 8x10, or 16x24, and I can't (this is an example of the size changing by the way). I tried changing the resolution, the file names, the file location - nada, nothing, zip...

• 1. Re: Trouble resizing/exporting images
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you post a screenshot of your export settings? I am not experiencing this in the most recent version.

• 3. Re: Trouble resizing/exporting images
            dj_paige Level 9

When I'm trying to export an image from RAW to jpeg, with the resizing box checked, and the "original" option not clicked, it is maintaining it's original size/dimensions no matter what I do unless I go down to something ridiculous like 3x5.

So what size in pixels (width and height) is the image before you export? What size in pixels (width and height) is it after you export? Please do not tell me megabytes.

• 4. Re: Trouble resizing/exporting images
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Your export settings say to resize the image to 24x16 inches at 600 ppi, which is 14400 x 9600 pixels.

Is this really the size you are looking for? This would be a 48x32 inch print at 300 ppi.

• 5. Re: Trouble resizing/exporting images
                amyh36688854 Level 1

I was able to do this 2 weeks ago, before the updates.

Though technically I was just using those settings as an example of what is NOT happening - it doesn't matter what numbers I input above say.. 5x7 - a 24x16 at 200 pixels or 600 doesn't change the exported images size - as it did before. And I'd like to know what changed?

• 6. Re: Trouble resizing/exporting images
                  amyh36688854 Level 1

6000x4000 before the cropping and exporting

7200x2300 after - 16x24

&

2400x767 (another width/height save) - 8x12

However both "After" pictures look exactly the same as far as image size goes, even though they were not exported with the same entered dimensions. I have a 27" monitor and both images fill the screen, as though they were the original size/image with no changes at all.

• 7. Re: Trouble resizing/exporting images

What are you using to look at your images after export? Note that your screen is far lower resolution than you are exporting and most programs will scale down large images for display so that they will look identical no matter what size you exported at. Check the actual exported pixel size and if they are consistent with the settings in export.

• 8. Re: Trouble resizing/exporting images
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you tell us what the pixel dimensions are of the original AFTER CROPPING but before Exporting.  You should be able to see these dimensions if you press the I (eye) key one or two times to cycle the Loupe Info.

• 10. Re: Trouble resizing/exporting images
                        amyh36688854 Level 1

The monitor was quite capable of handling it 2 or so weeks ago, and the problem isn't that images are coming out too small consistently (this is not scaling down)- they are staying the same enlarged image that the RAW file was - this is confirmed by the printers receiving the files that were supposedly resized.

So my problem has nothing to do with my viewing tools, it has to do with Lightroom not adjusting the actual image dimensions as it supposedly is doing and as it did 2 weeks ago.

• 11. Re: Trouble resizing/exporting images
                          amyh36688854 Level 1

What I am trying to understand is why, previously, I was able to tell it dimensions and leave it with ridiculously high PPI and have it convert the image to the requested dimensions (even if those required cropping the image, Lightroom would do that) and now I'm having to drop the PPI to 50 or 100 to get it to change the dimensions. Which I don't want.

What changed in 6.5 and how can I go back to how it was before? I don't want it to limit the PPI > dimensions.

I'm using the same camera with the same lenses, and it doesn't matter if it's black and white or a color image.

Can I just roll back to a previous version of Lightroom then?

• 12. Re: Trouble resizing/exporting images

I am not sure I am understanding your expectations. Here is an example of three files from the same image that I made sure to crop at 4x6 ratio in advance and exported at 24x36, 12x18, and 6x9 at 300 ppi all. I checked the image sizes coming out and they are indeed 7200x10800, 3600x5400, and 1800x2700, exactly as you would expect. I opened them in preview and low and behold, they look identical. This image is from a 24MP camera so 4000x6000 pixels about.

screengrab.jpg

This is exactly as expected as even though I have a fairly large screen (2560x1440 pixels), because very simply, 9x6 at 300 ppi is still taller than my display (1800 pixels), so it will scale down to show the picture and they will look identical. To prove that they are indeed different sizes here is a screen grab of the folder:

window.png

What are you getting? Perhaps part of your confusion is coming from the fact that the ppi value is not used really anywhere when displaying on a screen. It really is just a hint to indicate at what size to print. If you export at 10 inches wide at 300 ppi, Lightroom will generate a file 3000 pixels wide and will indicate in metadata that the expected print resolution is 300 ppi. Nowhere will it say that the image is 10 inches wide. That said, one of the only exceptions to this is that if you use Mac OS X, there is a setting in preview.app that can tell the app whether it should ignore the ppi setting or not:

preference.png

I have set to ignore it as you can see as it behaves really strangely if you have it enabled. However, basically every other program ignores the ppi setting and just tries to display 1 pixel per screen pixel except when the image is too large, when it will scale it down. Photoshop has a "print size" zoom setting but it does not do that by default when you open a file. It just shows the nearest integer zoom that makes the image fit.

• 13. Re: Trouble resizing/exporting images
                              amyh36688854 Level 1

So lets completely ignore pixels, in every way - no 6000x4000 or 300 ppi.

I want to take my 48x32 RAW image and export it to a 24x16 jpeg. Which I was able to do 2-3 weeks ago, before the update.

My expectation is to be able to take the image and actually RESIZE IT. Which, again, I was able to do 2-3 weeks ago. The problem is NOT a viewing issue.

The problem is that Lightroom is not resizing the images, as it previously did, upon export. I need this to happen. So while the view settings may need to be updated or changed or adjusted, the actual action of Lightroom is not happening AT ALL.

I appreciate that everyone else is able to take these images, the photo printers included, and resize them - but I am not able to do this. And I'd like to know why and fix it...

It may be that there is something corrupt in my Lightroom, or in the update, or in the settings between my computer and Adobe - I don't know.

What I know is that what I was able to do before, I'm not able to do now and it's causing a huge amount of hassle.

• 14. Re: Trouble resizing/exporting images
                                dj_paige Level 9

No one else is reporting that this aspect of Lightroom has changed in the past few weeks.

Your 48x32 RAW image is also a 24x16 image. These are equivalent. You would use fewer pixels per inch in the larger 48x32 image and you would use more pixels per inch in the 24x16 image. If you export it as a JPG, with the "Resize to Fit" option unchecked, you can print this JPG at 24x16 ... or you can print this JPG as 48x32 ... or you can print it as 12x8. The same image can be printed at multiple sizes.

So it seems you do not have a problem with exporting the image ... you have a problem understanding the end result can be printed at many different sizes.

However, if you crop to 4655x1487, then no export from this cropped image will print at 24x16. It is impossible to print a 4655x1487 image at 24x16 because your 4655x1487 image is the wrong shape (wrong aspect ratio).

There are multiple problems in what you are trying to do, and at least one major problem with your understanding of how all of this works.

• 15. Re: Trouble resizing/exporting images

Can you post an exported image somewhere to examine including a screenshot of your export settings. If the file ends up too large put it on Dropbox, creative cloud, or something similar and post a public link. I have never seen Lightroom not be able to scale upon export so I am curious as to what is going on. It's possible that your preferences for Lightroom are somehow bad and in that case it would make sense to reset them but it might make sense to examine an image first.

My 48x32 RAW image

Such a thing doesn't exist. Raw images like every digital image file only have dimensions in number of pixels. They don't have physical dimensions. A 6000x4000 pixel image when printed at 300 ppi produces a print of 20"x13 1/3". When printed at 100 ppi you get a 60"x40" print from exactly the same image file.

• 16. Re: Trouble resizing/exporting images
                                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

amyh36688854 wrote:

So lets completely ignore pixels, in every way - no 6000x4000 or 300 ppi.

I want to take my 48x32 RAW image and export it to a 24x16 jpeg. Which I was able to do 2-3 weeks ago, before the update.

As it's all about "pixels."  LR doesn't even have the capability to display "actual" file dimensions in inches or ppi. Where are you even seeing the numbers '48x32' displayed inside LR, which I assume mean 48 inches x 32 inches?

With the below Export settings what do you see inside the LR Library module for the red circled pixel dimensions when the exported file is selected? Hit the 'i' key if you can't see those Dimensions.

This may be helpful: Lightroom Myth Buster: When Resolution Matters and When It Doesn't | Laura Shoe's Lightroom Training, Tutorials and Tips

BTW- You should also be adding Output Sharpening when 'Resize to Fit' is used.

• 17. Re: Trouble resizing/exporting images
                                      amyh36688854 Level 1

Its actually right there in your screenshot. 24 (width) 16 (height) and .. it's in inches.

• 18. Re: Trouble resizing/exporting images
                                        amyh36688854 Level 1

I appreciate that folks don't understand my problem, but I don't think that means that you need to reply with snarky or rude comments - and this goes for other posters as well.

Just because we don't phrase it exactly as you think we should doesn't mean we aren't saying it as best as we can.

I'm trying to create a jpeg of specific dimensions, which is possible, which I've done before, which I'm now having problems doing. If anyone can actually help me with this without talking down to me, I'd be grateful.

• 19. Re: Trouble resizing/exporting images
                                          amyh36688854 Level 1

Step 1 - RAW file

>>>>>

Step 2 - Crop & edit

>>>>>

Step 3 - Export

>>>>>

Step 4 - Jpeg of specific dimensions (or not anymore - yes, I may have changed some settings, my cat may have changed some settings walking over the keyboard, it may be that something between my mac, my nec monitor, lightroom and the matrix are freaking out - I don't know, but I'd like to know.)

• 20. Re: Trouble resizing/exporting images

The way to create a jpg of specific dimensions is shown in trshaner's post above. If you want 24x16, first make sure you crop your image to the same aspect ratio (6x4). Most cameras do not shoot exactly that ratio but something very close so you'd need to do a crop in any case if you want to get that exactly. Then in export make the selections shown above and select the ppi resolution you want. If as an example, you select 600 ppi (which is rather high) Lightroom will export an image that is 14400x9600 (i.e. 24*600 x 16*600) pixels exactly as shown in trshaner's screenshot. That image, if printed at 600ppi will be 24"x16". The jpeg itself does not have width and length dimensions as it is a digital file, which cannot have dimensions as it is not a physical object. Are you not getting a 14400x9600 file as a result if you use the same settings? What do you get?

• 21. Re: Trouble resizing/exporting images

Can you export an image using trshaner's settings above, open it in Preview (just double click it) and do a get info (command-I) what do you see in the info window in the first tab on DPI and image size?

• 22. Re: Trouble resizing/exporting images
                                                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

amyh36688854 wrote:

Its actually right there in your screenshot. 24 (width) 16 (height) and .. it's in inches.

Amy, that's a 'Custom Text' I added in the Export module's File Naming panel as shown below. I'm sorry it you think anyone here is trying to be "snarky," myself included. The people who have replied with suggestions are all veteran LR experts just trying to help you. Replying with direct answers to their questions is the quickest way to resolve your issue, including the two questions I posted in my reply #16:

1) Where are you even seeing the numbers '48x32' displayed inside LR, which I assume mean 48 inches x 32 inches?

2) With the below Export settings what do you see inside the LR Library module for the red circled pixel dimensions (14400 x 9600) when the exported file is selected? Hit the 'i' key if you can't see those Dimensions.

Thank you!