9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2016 4:46 PM by DJ-G

how do I get photos OUT of Lightroom

sherryo93871480

i guess I have to repeat my question here!!!!!  I have an album in lightroom and it will not go away!  I want to close it, and can't get rid of the photos so I can try to figure out how to work the d-n program

• 1. Re: how do I get photos OUT of Lightroom
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

I think your question needs more explanation for other users (like me) to understand just what you are trying to achieve.

What do you mean by an "Album"?

Why do you want it to "Go away"?

What exactly are you trying to "Close"?

"Get rid of"  what photos?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how do I get photos OUT of Lightroom
            F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In additon to wobertc's questions, please tell us the version of LR you are using as well as your OS.

• 3. Re: how do I get photos OUT of Lightroom
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

The whole point to LR is to Import, make a record of, a references to, your images in the LR database file, the catalog, and never Remove any that you want to keep. Only removing, deleting, the DUD photos.

Note that your images are not IN LR. LR is just a Database program that references your images that are stored someplace on a hard drive that is connected to your system or that you have access to over a local area network, a LAN (Your Home/Work Network).

There are no Albums in LR, there are collections. Which is just a Grouping of images that are recorded in the LR database file. you can delete a collection with or without removing the actual image references from the LR database and you could also delete them from disk or not when deleting a collection. Depending on what you want to do and how you do it.

• 4. Re: how do I get photos OUT of Lightroom
                sherryo93871480 Level 1

I opened an album to try to edit the photos in LR.  Now, they seem to be permanently open in the app.  I have the album saved on my computer, but don’t want to see them there and I want to be able to open another folder.  Am I stuck in having all photos I want to view in LR always there?  Can I clear them out so I don’t have to look (potentially) at hundreds of photos when I only need to work on 1-50.

Sherry

• 5. Re: how do I get photos OUT of Lightroom
                  dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom is a "library", it was designed to contain all of your images, and it was not intended to be used on a group of images at one time; then delete that first group and work on another group; and so on.

Yes, you can do what you want, you can use File->Export to export the edited versions of your photos and then delete the photos from Lightroom (go to "All Photographs" and select all photos and then press delete, you would not want to select Remove from Hard Disk). Again, this is highly NOT recommended and causes you to deliberately avoid some of Lightroom's strongest features.

• 6. Re: how do I get photos OUT of Lightroom
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

As DJ said above. Lightroom is an image Cataloging program that is designed to hold all your images. Just like a real Library holds many books.

Right after you import images you can look at only those images by going to, selecting, the Previous Import label in the Catalog section of the left hand panel of the Library module. That way you don't have to look at all your images. Also new imports will be either at the top or the bottom of the Grid view and at either the start or the end of the Film Strip. depending on whether you sort ascending or descending and have the SORT: order set to Capture time (that is for new images).

You really need to understand how LR works and how to work with LR. I suggest you view some of the very good online tutorials that are available on the NET.

• 7. Re: how do I get photos OUT of Lightroom
                      sherryo93871480 Level 1

Ok, answers to your questions 1 x 1

Album:                                 A folder on my computer with digital photos in it.  I opened the album in LR and now they will not be removed from the program

Go Away:                            Delete from being seen in LR when I open it and don’t want to work on/edit the photos I am seeing

Close:                                    See Go Away    

Get rid of:                           See Go Away

• 8. Re: how do I get photos OUT of Lightroom
                        sherryo93871480 Level 1

I don’t get it, but here is what I answered to wobertc:

Ok, answers to your questions 1 x 1

Album:                                 A folder on my computer with digital photos in it.  I opened the album in LR and now they will not be removed from the program

Go Away:                            Delete from being seen in LR when I open it and don’t want to work on/edit the photos I am seeing

Close:                                    See Go Away    

Get rid of:                           See Go Away

So, does it show every photo on my computer?

• 9. Re: how do I get photos OUT of Lightroom
                          DJ-G Level 2

LR only shows what you import through the Import function. It displays a list of folders with imported photos on the top left panel. You can create collections with any combination of photos imported, but you don't have to.

If you don't want imported photos to show in LR after you're done with them, you can right-click on the folder and delete it (you have the option to remove from LR or actually delete the folder from the file system. Or you can select specific photos in the filmstrip and similarly remove them from LR.