4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2006 5:57 AM by Newsgroup_User

Collaborative Shockwave 3D

tedevang
      We have developed a real time 3D simulator for vehicle accidents using Shockwave 3D. Our client wants to know if it is possible to build a collaborative version running on the internet or a local LAN so that several people can have the Projector file on their systems and do the following:
      Observe another user manipulating the scene

Manipulate the scene for the benefit of other users

We are using fairly straightforward keyboard commands and buttons to navigate the 3D space and to start/stop animation sequences. We would need to send the commands to all attached viewers so everyone's Project file runs in unison.

I know there was a multi-user XTRA in earlier versions of Director but am not sure if it would accomplish this goal, or if there is anything available currently that would give us this capability. Any ideas?
        • 1. Re: Collaborative Shockwave 3D
          James Newton, ACP Level 3
          Although the Shockwave Multiuser Server is no longer being developed, the Multiuser Xtra is still available. If you prefer to work with a product that is actively supported, you could use Tabuleiro's Nebulae Multiuser Server. This has the advantage of running on Mac OS X and on Linux and Solaris as well as on Windows.
          • 2. Re: Collaborative Shockwave 3D
            Level 7
            OR You can use Flash Remoting MX through an embedded Flash movie.

• 3. Re: Collaborative Shockwave 3D
              tedevang Level 1
              Hi Karl - love your ChromeLib Behaviors.

Can you give me an idea of how I accomplish this with Flash Remoting MX - specifically sending the keystrokes or button commands to all attached viewers via the Flash movie embedded in my Director projector? Also, what kind of performance should I expect over the internet (assuming DSL or better)
              • 4. Re: Collaborative Shockwave 3D
                Level 7
                Thanks.

You have to import your SWF then tell Director what will be the Flash
                connection object.

You have some work on the server side as well as you will have to define and
                implement some methods in order to exchange data between the clients and the
                server.

The local connection object will allow you to send requests to the server.

The callback handlers in Director (defined by setCallback()) will allow you
                to get the response from the Flash Remoting server. The Director handlers
                will be called instead of the Flash methods bearing the same name.

It would be too long to explain all you have to do but a good pointer is the
                livedocs:
                http://livedocs.macromedia.com

Click on Flash MX 2004
                Click on Search
                Type Local Connection Object

You will get all the information you need.

Best regards,
                Karl.