10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2018 5:43 AM by elie_di

Original RAW photos & smart previews on same hard drive

squaddie7

Can i view smart previews only, even if the original RAW photographs are on the same hard drive, as scrolling through RAW images takes its toll on the CPU?

• 1. Re: Original RAW photos & smart previews on same hard drive
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi squaddie,

Yes, you can create a smart preview while importing the image or create after the import as well.

Select the Image in Grid view >> Click on Library menu >> Preview >> Build Smart Preview.

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Mohit

• 2. Re: Original RAW photos & smart previews on same hard drive
            squaddie7 Level 1

Hello Mohit, thanks for your reply, but my question is not entirely answered.  I know how to create previews, what i want to know is:  i have my RAW photographs and smart previews on the same hard drive (SSD 13' macbook pro), but scrolling through the RAW photographs puts severe strain on the hard drive.  I want to view only the smart previews whilst keeping the RAW images on the same hard drive, is this possible?  If i can somehow select Lightroom to view smart previews only (on my instruction) then scrolling through them will be less onerous on the hard drive cause it won't be loading each and every RAW image. 

• 3. Re: Original RAW photos & smart previews on same hard drive
              F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To extend Mohit's answer: No, you don't. However, you would not gain anything. While scrolling through the library, LR uses a pre-rendered jpg and not the RAW. So, there would not be any gain in using the (even larger) Smart Preview instead of the preview jpg.

• 4. Re: Original RAW photos & smart previews on same hard drive
                squaddie7 Level 1

Thank you gentlemen.  I therefore assume that the only benefit then of smart previews is if you want to view your images on your laptop, for example, when the RAW images are on an external drive, i.e. to save space on the laptop?

• 5. Re: Original RAW photos & smart previews on same hard drive

Exactly. In addition, you can even work on the photos without having the originals connected.

Originals on NAS / ext. Drive not connected and Smart Previews on local Laptop disk.

• 7. Re: Original RAW photos & smart previews on same hard drive
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

squaddie7 wrote:

Thank you gentlemen.  I therefore assume that the only benefit then of smart previews is if you want to view your images on your laptop, for example, when the RAW images are on an external drive, i.e. to save space on the laptop?

Actually the only benefit to Smart Preview is if your original images are on an external drive that IS NOT connected to your system and you want to EDIT some of those images.

• 8. Re: Original RAW photos & smart previews on same hard drive
                      NHPhoto4 Level 1

Hi, Sorry I'm late to this thread.I have a catalog and original photo files on an external HD connected to my laptop. I want to be able to edit them when the Ext HD is offline. Unless I've misunderstood, this is what smart previews are for? However, when I create the smart previews, by default they are saved to the catalog folder which is on the ext HD.  So how does LR access them when they're offline?. I've done some digging around and it seems that you can't move the smart previews. Obviously, to edit when the ext HD is unconnected  I would need to have the smart previews on my internal HD . Could anyone please tell me if this is possible? 

• 9. Re: Original RAW photos & smart previews on same hard drive

You always need to have your catalog.

If it is on your ext drive and the ext drive is offline, you obviously don't have access to the catalog.

If you place the catalog on the internal drive and have the images only on the ext drive, and then generate smart previews, these will be placed next to the catalog. That is how you then can open the catalog from the internal drive and work on these images even if the ext drive with the originals is offline.

• 10. Re: Original RAW photos & smart previews on same hard drive
                          elie_di Level 3

You always need to have your catalog.

If it is on your ext drive and the ext drive is offline, you obviously don't have access to the catalog.

Moreover, whenever LR is open it is using some catalog. Without a catalog LR can't function because LR is essentially hardly more than a database (catalog) reader/writer application. And if it doesn't have access to an already existing catalog, it will create a new one in its default location, C:/..../Pictures/Lightroom.

However, if you wish to keep your large master catalog on the external drive but have a specific group of images that you wish to edit when the external is not available, you could select those images and/or folders and then export them as catalog to a location on the internal drive, being sure to check the boxes for including Smart Previews and available regular previews ( but not "negatives"). When the external is off-line, launch LR by double-clicking the exported catalog file and edit away. When the external is once again connected, import the exported catalog back into the master.