20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2017 3:29 PM by Bob Somrak

Lightroom CC export resizing dimensions bug

frank-s Level 1

Hi,

it seems that LR CC doesn't do what the manual says about EXPORT - Resizing option with DIMENSIONS: I have a 6000x4000 (ratio 1.5) photo that should be resized to 1500x750 (ratio 2:1) -- the manual says:

[quote]

Image sizing    

Dimensions

Applies the higher value to the longer edge of the photo and the lower value to the shorter edge regardless of the photo’s original aspect ratio. Specifying 400 x 600, for example, produces a 400 x 600 portrait photo or a 600 x 400 landscape photo.

[quote end]

See original https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/export-files-disk-or-cd.html

My outcome is 1125x750 which is still ratio 1.5 -- basically DIMENSIONS delivers the same result as the other option WIDTH & HEIGHT does.

It seems that DIMENSIONS has a bug, doesn't it?

I had never used that feature because changing the ratio for sure means cropping or something like stretching or so -- so, I was wondering what results DIMENSIONS would bring to the daylight.

Can anybody confirm it is a bug? Or has a good explanation?

I definitely would need such a feature.

Best regards

Frank

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC export resizing dimensions bug
          Michael J. Hoffman Adobe Community Professional

Hi Frank,

This behavior seems to me to be as expected.

Resizing an image will never change the aspect ratio. If you want an image with aspect ratio 2:1, and it is currently 1.5:1, you'll need to crop it first. Once you've cropped (for example, in your image of 6000x4000) to 2:1 (your image would now be 6000x3000) you would get the expected results when you resize.

The dimensions in the export dialog instruct Lightroom to SCALE the image, but scaling is always done uniformly to avoid stretching the image (aspect ratio is always maintained). The pixel dimensions you provide form the bounding box into which the final image should fit, but if your image is not the same shape (aspect ratio) of the dimensions you've provided, one of the sides will end up shorter, as you are seeing.

Mike

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC export resizing dimensions bug
            frank-s Level 1

Hi Mike,

I know what you mean but I am reading the LR feature description differently, i.e. there are 2 similar options, one is WIDTH&HEIGHT (which keeps the ratio) and there's DIMENSIONS (which says 'regardless of ratio'). I would need DIMENSIONS.

Sure, when you change the ratio then some cropping or stretching has to occur, I know, however, I would NOT expect to find the same behavior for WIDTH&HEIGHT and also DIMENSIONS but currently they produce the same result which makes no sense.

If you compare the 2 feature descriptions it is clear that they produce different results, in theory.

I would like to see WHAT the DIMENSIONS option can do for me -- knowing that an automatic cropping might not always the 100% solution but for my purpose (batch resizing 100's of photos to a slimmer format) it would probably work great because I don't have to care for details in the photos that might be cropped).

HERE's again the official feature description:

[QUOTE]

Width & Height

Resizes the photo to fit within the specified width and height, retaining the original aspect ratio. Specifying 400 x 600, for example, produces a 400 x 600 portrait photo or a 400 x 267 landscape photo.

Dimensions

Applies the higher value to the longer edge of the photo and the lower value to the shorter edge regardless of the photo’s original aspect ratio. Specifying 400 x 600, for example, produces a 400 x 600 portrait photo or a 600 x 400 landscape photo.

[QUOTE END]

How to export Lightroom files to disk or CD

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC export resizing dimensions bug
              dj_paige Level 9

They should produce different results as in the example given, 400x600, depending on whether the original photo is landscape or portrait.

In no case will the aspect ratio be changed, other than a change from landscape to portrait when using "Dimensions". It will not change, and was not designed to change, a 3x2 aspect ratio to a 5x7 aspect ratio.

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC export resizing dimensions bug
                frank-s Level 1

Hi dj_paige,

ok, let me construct an example and follow the description, then you tell me why you think I am wrong:

Original photo: 6000x4000 landscape

DIMENSIONS setting: 2000x1000

The feature description reads: "Dimensions: Applies the higher value to the longer edge of the photo and the lower value to the shorter edge regardless of the photo’s original aspect ratio."

OK, now apply the higher value of the settings (which is 2000) to the longer edge (which is 6000) and the lower value (which is 1000) to the shorter edge (which is 4000) REGARDLESS of the photo's original aspect ratio.

Specifying 2000x1000  should produce a 2000x1000 landscape, right?

I don't read anywhere that the aspect ration is NOT touched. Especially when they are saying "regardless of the original ratio", I am thinking we are talking about modifying the original ratio. Also, retaining the ratio is done by WIDTH&HEIGHT.

Let me know if I am missing something here or if someone can extend the feature description or tell me where the difference between DIMENSIONS and WIDTH&HEIGHT otherwise are supposed to be.

Best regards

Frank

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC export resizing dimensions bug
                  dj_paige Level 9

Original photo: 6000x4000 landscape

OK, now apply the higher value of the settings (which is 2000) to the longer edge (which is 6000) and the lower value (which is 1000) to the shorter edge (which is 4000) REGARDLESS of the photo's original aspect ratio.

Specifying 2000x1000  should produce a 2000x1000 landscape, right?

No, it will not change the aspect ratio from 6x4 to 2x1 (or any other aspect ratio that is not the equivalent to 3x2 or 2x3). Period.

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC export resizing dimensions bug
                    frank-s Level 1

dj_paige,

I think you can do a little better and not just saying "PERIOD".

What kind of argument is that?

So, if you can't explain the matter then you should not just insist on something.

• 7. Re: Lightroom CC export resizing dimensions bug
                      Bob Somrak Level 5

DJ_paige's explanation was EXTREMELY clear,  you can't change the aspect ratio during export and thats what you are trying to do.

• 8. Re: Lightroom CC export resizing dimensions bug
                        dj_paige Level 9

So I put forth now a guess as to the proper explanation.

The guess part is: I think that the documentation leaves out an important condition. I believe that the documentation should state the the original photo is a 3x2 or 2x3 aspect ratio, and then with that condition, the entire explanation makes sense to me.

It doesn't say what happens when the original is not a 3x2 or 2x3, for example if the original is 5x7. I am 100% sure that if the original is 5x7 and then you export it, no matter what numbers and options are chosen, you will get a 5x7 or 7x5 output, even if the dimensions are specified as 400 and 600; and simple trial and error can confirm this, and can also determine exactly what export image size in width and height results when a 5x7 aspect ratio photo is exported with dimensions set at 400 and 600.

• 9. Re: Lightroom CC export resizing dimensions bug
                          frank-s Level 1

You see, all that is guess work -- it is possible they haven't clearly described how it works OR it is not working according to what it says:

@ Bob Somrack: just to clarify, if someone says, "NO... PERIOD" then that is commonly not considered an EXTREMELY clear explanation -- it is just a statement or opinion without foundation.

@ dj_paige: thanks for giving some insight into your thoughts and explaining why you believe the features behaves correctly. That's a good start.

However, if anybody followed my calculation example which is to the point according to Adobe's feature description ... THEN the resulting export is not correct. The WIDTH&HEIGHT feature explicitly notes that the ratio is kept as it was, .. whereas the DIMENSIONS feature gives the impression that if I type 400x600 I will get a 400x600 regardless of the ratio.

So, why are they saying 'regardless of the ratio' IF the implicit assumption would be it has to be a 2:3. If they ratio is NOT altered then I could just go with e.g. LONG EDGE and set it to 600 which gives me a 400 for the other edge assuming a 2:3 photo.

So, DIMENSIONS so far doesn't seem to have a huge benefit the way it currently works and the description IMO lacks some details.

I am aware that automatic cropping would be a surprising feature and doesn't really seem likely because the feature parent is called RESIZING and NOT CROPPING. That doesn't change the fact that I just followed the description and that it does not work the way as described. So, either the description is faulty or the feature.

Usually Adobe staff at least monitors these discussion boards, may be someone with insight could clarify the feature? Would be great!

Best, Frank

• 10. Re: Lightroom CC export resizing dimensions bug
                            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Perhaps the documentation is poorly written and is not correct. Suppose you specified height and width that wasn't consistent with the aspect ratio of the image. When Lightroom exports the image, how would it know what part of the image you want? It wouldn't. Lightroom would randomly choose an area to crop. The resulting exported image might give you the result you want, but it probably wouldn't. Some people use the height and width combination to specify an equal number of pixels in each direction. When the images are exported the long side of the image will have the specified number of pixels regardless of whether it is a portrait oriented or landscape oriented image. The only way to have an image exported with precisely the dimensions you desire is to crop the image accordingly and then specify the dimensions.

• 11. Re: Lightroom CC export resizing dimensions bug
                              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

frank-s wrote:

However, if anybody followed my calculation example which is to the point according to Adobe's feature description ... THEN the resulting export is not correct. The WIDTH&HEIGHT feature explicitly notes that the ratio is kept as it was, .. whereas the DIMENSIONS feature gives the impression that if I type 400x600 I will get a 400x600 regardless of the ratio.

Think of 'Width & Height as a "bounding box" with the dimensions you entered. The image being exported is constrained to "fit" within that bounding box, which prevents it from being cropped regardless of aspect ratio. Entering the same Width & Height dimension (600 x 600) produces the same results as 'Long Edge.' Images are resized to "fit" within a 600 x 600 bounding box, which creates a 600 long edge Export file regardless of orientation.

Width & Height

Resizes the photo to fit within the specified width and height, retaining the original aspect ratio. Specifying 400 x 600, for example, produces a 400 x 600 portrait photo or a 400 x 267 landscape photo.

24/50 – New Image Sizing Options in Camera Raw in Photoshop CC « Julieanne Kost's Blog

• 12. Re: Lightroom CC export resizing dimensions bug
                                frank-s Level 1

Jim,

Well, I agree, the documentation is likely to blame.

It would be a promising feature, though, and certainly the area which would be cropped could be targeted in settings as well by at least give you top, bottom, center options. If that is then a useful feature depends on the implementation and remains to be seen, however, right now the feature seems not to make sense and I could ask why we have it.

Whatsoever, so far I haven't seen a good example what the DIMENSIONS advantage is over LONG EDGE or SHORT EDGE, which would do exactly what you describe. That's all I am saying. And I am open to learn about a good use scenario.

I will use a work-around for my specific purpose, however, the question remains unanswered until someone, likely from Adobe's Dev team, either explains the advantage and purpose of this feature or changes the description or categorizes it as a bug.

• 13. Re: Lightroom CC export resizing dimensions bug
                                  frank-s Level 1

Hello trshaner,

that is a good pointer: Juliane's blog

So, with dimensions we have a combination of LONG EDGE and SHORT EDGE and whatever limit is reached first defines the max. dimension.

I guess the verbiage of the description is confusing, since 'aspect ratio' is in general not limited to 1 set which just differs in orientation (like 2:3 and 3:2) -- what they really mean is apparently that the orientation doesn't matter but you need to stay in the same aspect ratio group otherwise you'll leave the boundaries.

O.k.

• 14. Re: Lightroom CC export resizing dimensions bug
                                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

frank-s wrote:

It would be a promising feature, though, and certainly the area which would be cropped could be targeted in settings as well by at least give you top, bottom, center options. If that is then a useful feature depends on the implementation and remains to be seen,

There are lots of crop tools to do that now in the Develop module and then Sync the crop aspect ratio and its position to other image files with the same orientation. Better yet manually position the crop on each image file before exporting.

frank-s wrote:

Whatsoever, so far I haven't seen a good example what the DIMENSIONS advantage is over LONG EDGE or SHORT EDGE, which would do exactly what you describe. That's all I am saying. And I am open to learn about a good use scenario.

EXAMPLE: Using a page layout program you create a form with very specific sized areas for inserting pictures. Let's say that area is exactly 900 x 600 pixels. By entering those dimensions into the Export module's Width & Height selections you are assured that ANY image, regardless of aspect ratio OR orientation, will fit properly in the designated areas of the form.

Other than for that specific purpose you're better off using Long Edge or Width & Height with the same long edge dimension entered.

• 15. Re: Lightroom CC export resizing dimensions bug
                                      Bob Somrak Level 5

Lightroom is working the way it is SUPPOSED to work in regards to the long/short edge setting but is not working the way you THINK it should work so you call it a bug (which it is not).  The simple fact is you are trying to change the aspect ratio of the cropped image in Lightroom when you are exporting and that is not how Lightroom is designed to work or should work.  The documentation for Lightroom is definitely sparse but I don't think the documentation statement you quote is wrong, just not verbose enough to make it clear.  Unfortunately, I don't know of ANY consumer program that has very good documentation or any at all for that matter.  The companies just expect you to look things up online or buy a book andkI don't have a problem with this scenario as it seem to work ok.

• 16. Re: Lightroom CC export resizing dimensions bug
                                        frank-s Level 1

Bob Somrak wrote:

Lightroom is working the way it is SUPPOSED to work in regards to the long/short edge setting but is not working the way you THINK it should work so you call it a bug (which it is not). 

Well, I marked earlier already trshaners response as the answer, ... the bug if off the table

Bob Somrak wrote:

The simple fact is you are trying to change the aspect ratio of the cropped image in Lightroom when you are exporting and that is not how Lightroom is designed to work or should work. 

That's your opinion -- I think the idea of having a feature in LR that allows cropping during export (==changing aspect ratio) is legit -- why not? What is wrong with that? Assume I need 200 images for a web slider that has a 2:1 ratio -- as long as I pick images that would potentially work composition-wise I could just export them in one single quick shot. And there are more useful scenarios where you could take advantage of such a feature, ...wherever you need exact same size images regardless of the original aspect ratio.

If e.g. LR would have a cropping setting where I could determine from which position the cropping should occur, e.g. from the top, the center, the bottom, a corner, and so on, it could work quite well. Photoshop does a similar thing when you change the canvas size, ... it asks you from which corner or edge the enlargement or clipping should occur.

However, cropping is a different topic and not part of this discussion, I just wanted to give you an example where it could make sense.

• 17. Re: Lightroom CC export resizing dimensions bug
                                          dj_paige Level 9

That's your opinion -- I think the idea of having a feature in LR that allows cropping during export (==changing aspect ratio) is legit -- why not? What is wrong with that?

There's nothing wrong with that except that the Lightroom designers chose to keep cropping (changing the aspect ratio) and changing the number of pixels (resizing) as separate and distinct operation.

You could, in one step, apply a particular crop to all 200 of your photos. Then in a second step, export them all to whatever size you want.

• 18. Re: Lightroom CC export resizing dimensions bug
                                            rustyg33545310

Such a feature would be extremely useful to me.  I'm honestly sort of shocked that it took such a long time to come to the conclusion that the documentation is wrong.  That seems pretty obvious now. Clearly the feature does not work as described.  I hope they build it as described.  This whole thing has cost me a lot of time.

• 19. Re: Lightroom CC export resizing dimensions bug
                                              Hal P Anderson Level 6

The problem with cropping (which is the only way to change the aspect ratio, other than stretching in one dimension) in Export is that the user wouldn't get to choose what part of the image to keep. Given the perversity of software, the program would always get it wrong.

Hal

• 20. Re: Lightroom CC export resizing dimensions bug
                                                Bob Somrak Level 5

rustyg33545310  wrote

I'm honestly sort of shocked that it took such a long time to come to the conclusion that the documentation is wrong.  That seems pretty obvious now. Clearly the feature does not work as described.

Seems like MOST of the people on this thread think the documentation is right.  What exactly is it about this statement in the documentation that is wrong?  The first sentence states exactly what the setting does.  They even give an example although it could have been better.   The Adobe help file is MEAGER at best and not a great source of info and only a good starting point.  I had to buy a couple books and do a lot of internet searches to figure out how to do a lot of things as the HELP file just didn't explain it well or omitted it all together.

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 2.06.21 PM.png